U.S. postal rates will increase in May - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Mailing a letter will soon cost a penny more.

The cost of a first-class stamp will rise to 42 cents starting May 12, the U.S. Postal Service said today.

The price of the Forever stamp will go up at the same time, meaning those stamps can still be purchased for 41 cents but will remain good for first-class postage after the rate increase takes effect.

The post office has sold 5 billion Forever stamps since they were introduced last April and plans to have an additional 5 billion in stock to meet the expected demand before the May price change, the agency said.

The charge for other services, such as advertising mail, periodicals, packages special services will also change. Changes in the price for Priority Mail and Express Mail will be announced later, the agency said.

Full story...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ck=1&cset=true

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM

#4 Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM

It's a freakin' penny.
#5 Old 02-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk View Post

It's a freakin' penny.

srsly. The fact that I can mail an ounce of something across the US for cents is just amazing.
#6 Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Again?!

Time to stock up on more "Forever" stamps.
#7 Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm more frustrated by how much it costs to ship packages. I mailed a box that weighed one pound to Canada, a whopping 5 hr drive away from me, and they said it would be $20. They don't do ground shipping internationally anymore. With prodding, she figured out that it could also be mailed for $7.50. But still, ergh...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

a penny is nothing. it seems here in canada our postage goes up every year. i bought some us stamps at the end of 06 for 89 cents. it's now gone up to 93 cents.
#9 Old 02-12-2008, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1021 View Post

Again?!

Time to stock up on more "Forever" stamps.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking! It's gone up ten cents in like, what? Two years?
#10 Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, that's probably an exaggeration....more like three cents, but still...it feels like they are raising it every six months!

And I agree with Rabid_Child....postage on packages is ridiculous....
#11 Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

It increases once in a while, so this isn't too surprising. They've been talking about getting rid of the penny for quite some time. Is that still in the plans? They'd have to increase postage 5 cents everytime, so it would happen much less frequently.
#12 Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I still have a bunch of 39 cent stamps from two raises ago. Can you even buy 3 cent stamps?
#13 Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I have some....last time they went from 39 to 41 they ran out of two cent stamps so I ended up with 3s. I guess I'll online and get some now instead of waiting till the last minute like I usually do.
#14 Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

3 cent stamps? I didn't know that. I have a bunch of 2 centers and some 1 centers.

ETA: It will be interesting to see how this planned annual raise in postage will affect small businesses. Where I work, they mail a LOT of stuff out every single day. It costs money. I printed out the article for one of the guys in Medical Records, and he was right pissed.

*this space not for sale*
#15 Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Silver Coffeepot

View Larger Image

Tech

Details Artist

Bio

Issue Type: Definitive

Issue City: New York, NY

Issue Date: 3/16/2007

Issue Series: American Design

Item # 103340

Silver Coffeepot

Pane of 20

$0.03

Self-adhesive

Price: $0.60

Availability

Available

Usually Ships within 1 Business Day.

Qty.

Quantity

Buy

Add item to My Favorites

The sixth stamp in the American Design series—the 3-cent Silver Coffeepot definitive—features an artist's simplified rendering of a silver coffeepot, circa 1786, belonging to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The coffeepot was made by prominent Philadelphia silversmiths Joseph Richardson, Jr. (1752-1831) and Nathaniel Richardson (1754-1827)
#16 Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the "Forever" stamp idea. I have some left but will get some more before the increase. I don't even use stamps that often so they last a while.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#17 Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

What is the Forever stamp?
#18 Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

The "Forever" stamp is good forever. In other words, buy them now at 41 cents and they are usable "forever." You don't have to go buy silly 1 or 2 or 3 cent stamps to make them equal increases.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#19 Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool. I guess they want you to buy a whole ton of bunch knowing that people will inevitably lose lots of them.
#20 Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Didn't they just raise the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk View Post

It's a freakin' penny.

Yes, it's a freaking' penny! I could care less about the penny. Raising it a penny is a serious PITA though because that means the stamps I have now are no good unless I go out and buy some penny stamps. The post office is comletely out of my way and I only go there every 4-6 months to get stamps. Last time the price went up I ended up putting two full stamps on the letters just so I wouldn't have to go to the post office and get penny stamps
#21 Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Cool. I guess they want you to buy a whole ton of bunch knowing that people will inevitably lose lots of them.

Good point and one that I'm taking seriously...I bought some last time they raised the postage and so far so good...I still have them in the same spot! My problem is always when I decide to tidy up and organize things...that's when I lose stuff....so all I have to do is keep the mess I have right now and I'm good to go!
#22 Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Yes, it's a freaking' penny! I could care less about the penny. Raising it a penny is a serious PITA though because that means the stamps I have now are no good unless I go out and buy some penny stamps. The post office is comletely out of my way and I only go there every 4-6 months to get stamps. Last time the price went up I ended up putting two full stamps on the letters just so I wouldn't have to go to the post office and get penny stamps

You can buy stamps online, but of course they will charge you $1 to mail them to you.
#23 Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

this is destroying free indie media

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#24 Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen or heard of such a thing and don't see any on the website

ETA:

oh n/m I found it

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...9351&langId=-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I like the "Forever" stamp idea. I have some left but will get some more before the increase. I don't even use stamps that often so they last a while.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#25 Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm more frustrated by how much it costs to ship packages. I mailed a box that weighed one pound to Canada, a whopping 5 hr drive away from me, and they said it would be $20. They don't do ground shipping internationally anymore. With prodding, she figured out that it could also be mailed for $7.50. But still, ergh...

Rabid, I just sent some grad applications to a school in Canada, about the size of a normal letter. I live 20 minutes over the border. I could walk across and put it in a Canadian mailbox. The total trip to the school should take less than three hours from where I am.

And yet I still had to pay for airmail.
#26 Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

They have to raise rates. After all, lots of people have joined the 21st century.

-email

-electronic funds transfer (electronic check)

free vs. 42 cents...Hmm, a hard decision...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#27 Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Do you have mail delivery at your home or place of business? You can buy stamps from the delivery person. Just leave the money in your mailbox with a note. This isn't as hard as you are trying to make it.
#28 Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

really i think that the first class mail rate for letters is a total bargain. from what i have read i think that the people that are having a problem with the rise in postal rates are some of the smaller magazines and periodicals whose mail costs are apparently higher than larger businesses because the postal service is giving the biggest the best discounts and raising the rates on the smaller bulk mailers.
#29 Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinade View Post

Rabid, I just sent some grad applications to a school in Canada, about the size of a normal letter. I live 20 minutes over the border. I could walk across and put it in a Canadian mailbox. The total trip to the school should take less than three hours from where I am.

And yet I still had to pay for airmail.

Thats just asinine. I would totally have just driven to Canada and mailed it. I'm bitter like that.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

Do you have mail delivery at your home or place of business? You can buy stamps from the delivery person. Just leave the money in your mailbox with a note.

Thanks for the suggestion I was completely unaware of that.

Quote:
This isn't as hard as you are trying to make it.

Tone not appreciated (and unfortunately not confined to this thread).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page