Were cavemen human? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I've read some sources claiming cavemen were human while others will say they were the closest relative to humans. There is also a difference of opinion regarding what happened to them. Some say the Europeans caused their extinction while others say they blended in with the Europeans and never became extinct. Even to this day, there appears to be a lot of confusion about cavemen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

others say they blended in with the Europeans and never became extinct.

lol

Got any links? I always thought that era was an evolutionary period.
#3 Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Depends on your definition of a caveman. Are you talking about Homo Sapiens Sapiens? That's what humans are. If you're talking about Homo Erectus or Homo Neanderthalensis, then that's not strictly human in modern terms. Do bear in mind, though, that people (as in homo sapiens sapiens people) still lived in caves in certain parts of the world in the Mesolithic or even Neolithic period.
#4 Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet View Post

lol

Got any links? I always thought that era was an evolutionary period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthals

It is a wikipedia article, but they also give links as well.
#5 Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I bet there is still someone out there somewhere that lives in a cave. He/She is probably human.
#6 Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM

#7 Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Plenty of people still live in caves

!!! The first house listed there is incredible! I want it....
#8 Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Those are some sweet effin' houses! Does that guy in the first picture look human? I can't tell... :P
#9 Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Cavemen are an invention of those godless scientists. Cavemen bones have actually been placed there just so people will think God doesn't exist. Men have always existed in one form.

.. or so they say!

PS. I'm being extremely sarcastic here, ok?
#10 Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

No, I think they were okapis. Definitely.

Many cavemen exist still today, here is one.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#11 Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Veggie Regular

So then what happened to them? Isn't that a picture of you, Sevenseas? Do you live in a cave?

This thread certainly has raised more questions than it has answered.
#12 Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

So then what happened to them?

I think the general consensus in the scientific community is that most of them star in ABC sitcoms, such as The Hoof that Kicked Me and Galloping Through Life.

Quote:
Isn't that a picture of you, Sevenseas?

No, that's my cousin.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Look, you can rent a cave house in Spain. Would that make you a cave person, even if you don't own the cave yourself?

I remember in the "On the Banks of Plum Creek" book by Laura Ingalls Wilder, the Ingalls family lived in a cave-type house hollowed out of the side of a hill. A cow broke through once where the stove pipe poked out, IIRC.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Ex-*****

For more on cavemen and the problems they face when trying to integrate with modern-day society, see my recent post in the Scandianvian thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Just thought I'd post some links to some news stories about someone who fascinates me:

Caveman set off infection alarm (dagbladet.no)

Court verdict supports refusing body wash (dagbladet.no)

Is not to be washed against his will (nrk.no)

[...]

He lived there by the campus subway station in a whole in the ground (the "cave"), but a lot of the time he was standing outside. In winter he would walk sideways a lot of the time, leaving sideways-walking footprints in the snow. He had been expelled from his student-flat and denied the right to take his exams because of refusing to wash and therefore smelling quite badly. He had been studying astronomy and astrophysics. This happened in 1978 and he had been living in the "cave" ever since.

[...]

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&postcount=177

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#15 Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think the general consensus in the scientific community is that most of them star in ABC sitcoms, such as The Hoof that Kicked Me and Galloping Through Life.

No, that's my cousin.

Wasn't there a show on one of the big networks featuring the cavemen? Whatever happened to that show?

I'm also curious. They're associated with the dinosaurs so frequently that I used to think they lived during the same time. Obviously they didn't live even close to the same time periods, so why are cavemen and dinosaurs associated together so often?
#16 Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Because they both came before 6,000 years ago.....?
#17 Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Nookle, nothing came from before 6,000 years ago.
#18 Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Right. That's right. Hmmm - I don't know why then, rainforests. Sorry.
#19 Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Nookle, nothing came from before 6,000 years ago.

From the Beeb:

New research shows early humans were living in Britain around 700,000 years ago, substantially earlier than had previously been thought.

Using new dating techniques, scientists found that flint tools unearthed in Pakefield, Suffolk, were 200,000 years older than the previous oldest finds.

Humans were known to have lived in southern Europe 780,000 years ago but it was unclear when they moved north.

The findings have been published in the scientific journal Nature.

A team of researchers from the UK, Italy and Canada found a total of 32 flint tools in a fossil-rich seam at Pakefield. They say it represents the earliest unequivocal evidence of human activity in northern Europe.
#20 Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

*sticks fingers in ears*

Nothing came before 6,000 years ago! That is how old the world is! It says so in the bible! La la la! I can't hear you! La la la!

/sarcasm (sorry, should've ended that with the last post)
#21 Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

From the Beeb:

New research shows early humans were living in Britain around 700,000 years ago, substantially earlier than had previously been thought.

Using new dating techniques, scientists found that flint tools unearthed in Pakefield, Suffolk, were 200,000 years older than the previous oldest finds.

Humans were known to have lived in southern Europe 780,000 years ago but it was unclear when they moved north.

The findings have been published in the scientific journal Nature.

A team of researchers from the UK, Italy and Canada found a total of 32 flint tools in a fossil-rich seam at Pakefield. They say it represents the earliest unequivocal evidence of human activity in northern Europe.

Everything I've read says humans are about 150-200,000 years old. Now I'm confused. Are they closely related or are they the same species?
#22 Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I've read some sources claiming cavemen were human while others will say they were the closest relative to humans. There is also a difference of opinion regarding what happened to them. Some say the Europeans caused their extinction while others say they blended in with the Europeans and never became extinct. Even to this day, there appears to be a lot of confusion about cavemen.

The word "caveman" doesn't have any scientific meaning. It's a pop-culture thing, more at home in comic books and low-budget movies than in a discussion about human evolution. Hence the association with dinosaurs.

In terms of common names for different species, I think "human" is often used for all members of genus Homo, and so would include Homo neanderthalensis, which may be the sort of "caveman" you are thinking of. There is some reason to think they bred with early Homo sapiens and that we may carry some of their genes.

The word "hominid" refers to all members of family Hominidae, which includes even more ancient members of our family tree, such as Australopithecus.

I'm not sure how the whole "caveman" terminology got started. I might guess it came about from early writings about the prehistoric cave paintings found at various sites in Europe. The caves were probably used for ritual purposes, rather than routine habitation.
#23 Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Beginner

cavemen don't exist! We humans were primates! Then an Alien spaceship landed and started operation breeding, mostly on specific primates selected around the world! This operation is project and observation on how hybrids will survive on the planet. The Aliens introduced a bad species, its very invasive and has no natural predictor. Throughout human history there has always been an image of a flying man(Alien).

J/K!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page