Eating Roadkill - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 AM

Bear with me here...

I saw a program a bit back about a bloke who doesn't hunt or kill animals, but eats them if and where he finds them.

Now, while the thought of eating that meat still doesn't appeal to me (natch!), I'm struggling to find a moral justification for not eating meat of something that is already dead.

Perhaps you could say that the animal should be left to other animals in the ecosystem.

The guy on the show basically thought: once its dead, its dead, so no extra suffering can be caused. Why not use it?

Interested to hear your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ My thoughts on the matter.

Do a search and perhaps other threads on this subject will appear.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...archid=2302744

Here are a few options.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#4 Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 AM

Was that the program on here in the UK on BBC2 and he was married to a vegetarian? I meant to watch it and forgot >_<
#5 Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofudebeast View Post

The guy on the show basically thought: once its dead, its dead, so no extra suffering can be caused. Why not use it?

fair enough...i would agree with his logic

it seems completely unnecessary to me, for many reasons. but if his main goal is to eradicate animal suffering because of his wants, yet still eat meat...it would seem he found a somewhat logical, albeit totally disgusting, way to go about doing so.

i think eventually they'll be growing meat in test tubes anyway...so this guy will be able to have his meat without eating roadkill soon enough
#6 Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiesforlife View Post

i think eventually they'll be growing meat in test tubes anyway...so this guy will be able to have his meat without eating roadkill soon enough

One can only hope!
#7 Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Interesting topic. Suppose it's more ethical to a degree as it doesn't create demand but as a vegan I feel like it's a double insult to the animal to have her life cut short in that way and then eaten! Never mind "don't waste" thing.

I'd think that if one cared enough about animals to never buy meat, it'd be kinda uncomfortable to eat it.

Does he wait in the bushes or something? lol.
#8 Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

My thoughts... It's more ethical but no less disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofudebeast View Post

I wonder if he applies the same kind of thinking to humans??

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#9 Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Agree with juno's post. ^^^.

Yuck.
#10 Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Well moral justifications aside it's still unhealthy. I can only see the point if you absolutely need it but that is one of those hypothetical situations that never happen.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#11 Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

for me that still boils down to a question of need in the eco-system. if i eat the road-kill, other creatures would not have. therefore, since presumably they need to eat, it may lead to the death of another animal. or not, i simply don't know how much 'dead meat' is out there, perhaps there's a surplus.
#12 Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

it cant be sanitary to eat something that's dead on the side of the road. i equate that to eating something found in a trashcan.
#13 Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really have an ethical problem with someone eating roadkill since they're not contributing to any harm, but I would wonder whether it's safe or not. Woodland creatures could have all sorts of parasites and diseases. The whole idea of it is revolting to me though.
#14 Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM

I don't really see how the meat could be any worse than the meat on the supermarket shelves.

And as for the meat being taken out of the ecosystem, road kill isn't exactly a natural death either.

I wonder how many animals die from traffic. I know it's a lot, but I wonder what the actual figures would be like.
#15 Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Interesting topic. Suppose it's more ethical to a degree as it doesn't create demand but as a vegan I feel like it's a double insult to the animal to have her life cut short in that way and then eaten! Never mind "don't waste" thing.

I'd think that if one cared enough about animals to never buy meat, it'd be kinda uncomfortable to eat it.

That's the way i've always felt about it. It's disrespectful to the dead, As juno said would he do the same if it was human? I think it's just a little pathetic that you're so lustful over the taste of flesh that you'd be willing to eat random dead things off the side of the road, Not to mention unhealthy. Unless he waits for it to die he has no idea how long it's actually been there. Even then he has no idea what illnesses it had.
#16 Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

if people are a part of nature, and people create parts from components of nature, and they steer them into animals and run them over, how would that not make it natural? it's in how you perceive humans and their creations. i personally see everything as part of nature. the perception that there is something "above" or "outside" nature is one of the biggest misconceptions we have to deal with, imho. it's one of the biggest hurdles to vegetarianism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

And as for the meat being taken out of the ecosystem, road kill isn't exactly a natural death either.

#17 Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Well moral justifications aside it's still unhealthy. I can only see the point if you absolutely need it but that is one of those hypothetical situations that never happen.

I've heard that some people have to eat deer meat to survive.
#18 Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

if people are a part of nature

Ah, but I don't believe that most people in developed countries are so that would be where we differ
#19 Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't think it's an opinion of whether they are or they aren't. people are a part of nature, pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Ah, but I don't believe that most people in developed countries are so that would be where we differ

#20 Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

i don't think it's an opinion of whether the are or they aren't. people are a part of nature, pure and simple.

Not to me, hence the difference of opinion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page