Do you donate to political campaigns? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I do. Some people volunteer. I think it's important to do. It's a way to participate, and we can't complain that corporate people are controlling elections if the people aren't taking over that role. Edwards doesn't take lobbyist money, so he can take mine. He has far less money than Clinton and Obama. The numbers strongly reflect who has the most money.

Contribute in any way you can! (if not American, then in your own elections)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Banned

I must admit, I have never donated to a campaign. Oh, wait, that's not true, I donated to Al Franken's campaign in Minnesota. But, I have never donated to a presidential campaign. I have volunteered for election campaigns before, and this year we are volunteering to load our mini-van with blue hairs who need to get to the polls. It is hard for me to think about donating to a multi-millionaires campaign. Especially when I never feel strongly about one candidate or another, I basically vote for the least heinous.
#3 Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I do. (I gave money to the Kucinich campaign, and will probably do so again.) Although the act of voting naturally receives a lot of attention, money and time donations have quite a bit more impact.

At the risk of sounding cynical, there is a pretty strong corollation between money and votes. (At one time, it was about $5/vote; that may be different now.) A few candidates can turn out votes for less money, but generally speaking, it is the money spent that determines a candidate's popularity.
#4 Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I pay a lot of attention to politics, but I don't feel like the US is headed in the right direction so I'd rather vote for another party. I may vote for the Green Party, or maybe Nader again if he's running, but that's about all of the involvement I have with politics.
#5 Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I do.

Indiana's primary isn't until May when the election is basically already decided, so donating is one tangible way I can help.

I support Obama 100%.
#6 Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have in the past for much the same reason kpickell does. PA's primary is the end of April. I haven't this year because my money has gone to other causes.

I might volunteer when the election comes around, it really depends on who comes out of this whole mess. No one has me excited, that's for sure.
#7 Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Beginner

Yup. I've donated to both Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul. "Money bombs" are a neat idea, imo.
#8 Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Yes, I do.

Indiana's primary isn't until May when the election is basically already decided, so donating is one tangible way I can help.

I support Obama 100%.

Is that because you think he is the best candidate, or because of your flawed logic you once mentioned regarding supporting any minority candidate?
#9 Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Is that because you think he is the best candidate, or because of your flawed logic you once mentioned regarding supporting any minority candidate?

Both. I do think he's the best. But I do also think it's important for the US to have a minority president.
#10 Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

No. Giving millionaires free money isn't my style.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#11 Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Yes, I do.

I support Obama 100%.

Same here. Except our primary is next month.

I was all happy late last night when MSNBC was reporting the race was too close to call, that Hillary hadn't won yet. But dammit, in the end she did win.
#12 Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't, and never will, donate to political campaigns. I think donating to e.g. Amnesty International or AR groups brings more change to this world than giving money away to party politics.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I don't think I ever will.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page