What are you paid? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What is your hourly wage?
$2-$5 per hour 0 0%
$5-$8 per hour 0 0%
$8-$11 per hour 0 0%
$11-$15 per hour 0 0%
$15-$20 per hour 0 0%
$20-$30 per hour 0 0%
$30-$45 per hour 0 0%
$45-$65 per hour 0 0%
$65-$100 per hour 0 0%
Minimum wage (please specify what that is) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do?

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training?

Are you paid hourly?

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay?

What is the minimum wage where you live and work?

Do you get more or less than that?

Do you feel you are paid fairly?

The poll is anonymous so please answer honestly and add anything you feel comfortable adding here.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

where's the poll?

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#3 Old 01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

It was being created while you were posting.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#4 Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? Retail chain store (not "big box")

No

Are you paid hourly? Yes

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? No

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? $6.67 per hour

Do you get more or less than that? I get minimum wage plus commission

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Not really as it is really hard to earn the commission

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#5 Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I included the ability to choose multiple options as I know many of us have more than one job and are paid differently many times.

I'll reply to the questions later...I am off to work!

#6 Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? Clinical Dietitian

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? Yes

Are you paid hourly? Yes

Do you get tips? No

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? A little under $7/hr I believe (I live in Florida)

Do you get more or less than that? More

Do you feel you are paid fairly? No (I could be making $5-6 more per hour back in Canada where I grew up/earned my degree & work experience)
#7 Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? Receptionist at a Veterinary Hospital and clinic ((usually part-time, but will work full time whenever I am on a break from school, such as now))

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? No

Are you paid hourly? Yes

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? No, n/a

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? $8.50/hr. , I believe

Do you feel you are paid fairly? No....my field is rather notorious for crappy pay, but the work is very gratifying in my opinion.

If I wasn't in school full time as well [had more time], I'd probably get a second job to support myself ((with my very lavish lifestyle, and all)).

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#8 Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a medical transcriber.

No degree is necessary. While I personally got mostly on the job training, many transcribers have started out taking classes at, say, a community college. I took some classes myself, but that was about 12 years after I started working as a transcriber, mostly to expand my knowledge, since I had experience mainly in one area (Radiology).

Are you paid hourly?

Yes.

No, no tips. I have gotten bonuses in the past, although not this past year.

I can't remember. I think it's $7.25/hr.

MUCH more.

I wouldn't mind a raise, even a small one. But I do get paid better than many younger transcribers. My wage is generally commensurate with my experience. I've been a transcriber since 1982, and have not only received raises in the past, but whenever I started at a new place, I asked for, and got, more money than I was earning at my previous place of employment.

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Beginner

What kind of work do you do? Medical Technologist

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? Yes

Are you paid hourly? Yes

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? No idea

Do you get more or less than that? Much more

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Yes, if you factor in the yearly bonuses which add up to over $2500
#10 Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a software trainer for homeless shelters. A college degree is required for my position. It's a salaried position, overtime-exempt, and I'm happy with my salary especially since expenses are reimbursed.

Who is paid less than minimum wage? Even service workers get at least the $2.13/hour minimum wage.
#11 Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm an operations manager at a Theatre. I'm involved in Food & Beverage as well as managing the sales departments of one of the busiest theatres in Canada.

Nope, although a buisness degree helps. Years of experience with the company are required though.

Are you paid hourly?

Nope, I'm on salary and work anywhere from 30-100 hours a week, depending on what's going on.

I only get tips if I'm covering for a serving or bartender (we have to basically be screwed for that to happen). It's nice to do that occasionally and pocket some cash.

$8.00/hour

Considerably more.

Yes, because in addition to my salary, which allows me to live comfortably in a very expensive city, and travel a few times a year, I get bonuses (over $3000 this year) and they pay for my health care, insurance, dry cleaning, meals and beverages when working, travel expenses, as well as contributing 5% of my salary to an RRSP (as long as I match that).

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Beginner

What kind of work do you do? Graphic design

Are you paid hourly? No

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? I don't know

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Yes
#13 Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Baby Love

What kind of work do you do? Architect

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? Yes. Its a minimum of a 5 year college degree for BA.

Are you paid hourly? Yes, but this is by choice as I've decided to only work 36 hours. My pay maxes out at 40 hours even if I work more. We don't get overtime, but we have profit share type bonuses.

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? No tips.

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? No idea. My last minimum wage job was in another state.

Do you get more or less than that? More.

Do you feel you are paid fairly?I feel my firm pays me fairly based on the money they take in, but the profession is not well-paying. Clients won't pay for us to have higher wages.
#14 Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at Office Depot, in the Design Print and Ship center. I make copies, laminate stuff, enlarge/reduce the size of photographs, send faxes, make rubber stamps... pretty much anything customers throw at me, I do!

No, but you do have to be patient and have kind of an "artistic flare." With a lot of the photographs that I change, it's not an exact science, you just have to know what needs to be done and fiddle until you get it right!

Are you paid hourly?

Yes

Nope. We used to get a bonus when we sold attachments with certain items (i.e. oil with shredders, USB cables on printers, etc...) but we don't any more.

...I'm not sure right now. It's in the middle of changing and going up. It used to be $5.15, I think it's going up to $5.75, but most teens starting out get $5.50

I get more than that!

Yes ma'am! Office Depot is a great company, and employees are treated extremely well. It's the best job I've ever had, and I've been through quite a few!
#15 Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

Checker at Safeway

Hehe Noooo

Are you paid hourly?

Yepp

Nope

7.15 an hour

More

Well, I'm still in high school. So, $9.99 an hour deffinatly isn't bad. I would hate it if i was an adult trying to live off it, or worse, support a family.
#16 Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Who is paid less than minimum wage? Even service workers get at least the $2.13/hour minimum wage.

According to this website in Ohio the following people are not considered "employees' and thus could theoretically be paid under minimum wage, I think (I was bored and realized I knew nothing about this topic, so I looked it up):

Quote:

People employed:

1. by the United States;

2. as a baby sitter or live-in companion (whose principal duties do not include housekeeping);

3. in outside sales compensated by commissions;

4. in services of a charitable nature;

5. at a camp or recreational area for minors, if operated by a nonprofit organization;

6. employees of a solely family owned and operated business who are family members of an owner.

A lot of people in my area, especially teenagers, work for family businesses or their friends' family-run businesses or farms, and are paid whatever their employer feels like. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them, at least the middle and high school students, were paid less than minimum wage.

I'm currently an unemployed student, but when I did odd jobs for the newspaper I was paid for the work that I put out, not the time I put into it. I got around $25 per page I designed, which usually ended up being close to or over minimum wage, but on a hard page I could be there for five hours and have to come in the next morning to finish it, and that would have been way under. And there's no way of measuring how much I got paid per hour when I was a fair correspondent, but it wasn't enough--I had to be there for 12 hours every day to get all the information I needed, and while it was fun and I had a lot of free time, the amount I earned could not compete with having a nine-to-five job in the same time frame. When I was a high school student this was okay, especially since I was kind of considered to be an intern and I was supposedly working for experience, not money, but working at the fair as an adult last year was pretty bad. I think I'm going to get a real job this summer and help them find a high school student to do my old job next year, because it's not worth it.
#17 Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

What kind of work do you do? seasonal wildlife biologist (mainly birds)

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? generally yes

Are you paid hourly? yes

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? nope

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? ??

Do you get more or less than that? more

Do you feel you are paid fairly? eh, no. but i do have housing costs covered, so it probably evens out, and the work is pretty awesome and fun. i love it. so the fact i love what i do kinda makes up for me not becoming a millionaire out of this career.
#18 Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

If you work under the table or work a job typically held by undocumented workers, who knows how much you'll make? Some of the undocumented workers in my area make more than I do (or did, before I quit at the paper to go do volunteer work in Bolivia, which starts next week), but few have the kind of advancement opportunities I expect to have in my career.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#19 Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Produce Lead (that's assistant manager) in a Food Co-operative.

HA!

Are you paid hourly?

Yepper.

No.

Going from 5.15 (are they ****ing insane?!) to something like 7 or 7.50 (about time!) by 2009. Right now somewhere around 5.50 or 6.

More.

Hmmm.... No. I think it is reasonable for the situation, but minimum wage should have been raised in my state a decade ago, and if it had then wages would have been up already. I shouldn't complain though, because it is not an expensive place to live, so the wages are almost reasonable in that respect...
#20 Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I work parttime on the weekends at a warehouse. I'm the wrapper/shipper so I wrap up skids full of boxes with that saran wrap stuff and then load up the trailers and send them off.

Nope.

Are you paid hourly?

Yes.

No.

I believe minimum wage here is $8/hour. I'm not sure.

More.

Yes. I make $11.17/hour to wrap boxes and put boxes on trailers. I don't have to deal with the public, I am loosely supervised it is not mentally complicated or physically strenuous and it's not a huge deal if I mess something up. It's a lot better than making minimum wage to serve doughnuts and coffee like my previous job. Oh and if I switch to full time, my hourly wage goes up to about $15/hour. I also recieve automatic raises after working a set number of hours. I don't want to stay there forever, but as a full time student, it is a pretty sweet job!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#21 Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I work in the office at a used car lot. I get paid a salary that is more than minimum wage--but not a lot. You do not have to have a degree. I love my job and my bosses. I really would like to find something with benefits but right now I am pretty happy where I am.
#22 Old 01-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

I get 50% of each dollar each of the hoes brings in.
#23 Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

6. employees of a solely family owned and operated business who are family members of an owner.

Yep, I spent my summers when I was younger working for my dad's business as a construction mechanic. I got $5 a day plus lunch...lol.

Now I'm a computer analyst, degree required, salaried + overtime, paid fairly.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#24 Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM

What kind of work do you do? Receptionist at a hair salon

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? No

Are you paid hourly? Yes

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? Something like 6.79, I think

Do you get more or less than that? I get exactly that

Do you feel you are paid fairly? I think that minimum wage is actually what the minimum most people are willing to work for. One shift here is about 30 dollars, and I wouldn't do it for 20, but I would definately do t for 40. 30, though, is the fine line between being worth getting out of bed or not.
#25 Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

You going to answer your own questionnaire, ahimsa?

I'm a software consultant, I'm salaried so I don't get tips, minimum wage is $2.65 in KS (where I work) and $6.65 in MO (where I live). I make more than that, and I think I'm paid fairly for what I do.
#26 Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. I already answered the poll immediately after posting it.

I guess I'll be the first to post that I have more than one job and my pay rate varies.

As a massage therapist/holistic health practitioner/yoga instructor/trainer/nutritional consultant/doula/personal chef I get paid between $45 and $125 per session/hour. On average, I get $75 per hour.

When I am teaching workshops, I get paid as much as $80-$150 per hour, depending on what and where I am teaching.

It requires certifications and degrees to do the work I do (2 years+ hours and licensing, insurance and registration to do the massage/HHP work and teaching, 1 year+ to do the yoga/personal trainer work, 6 months+ to be a certified doula, 3 months + to do the personal chef work and a minimum of a 4 year/Bachelor's degree to do the nutritional consultation/dietetics/counseling work).

Some people work in some of these areas with little or no training, certifications or licensing, but to be legal to practice any of these where I live and work, it takes what I have outlined and I would not have it any other way. I have continuing education in all these areas that exceed minimum requirements. I started college at 16 and have been educating myself since then.

I am paid fairly for the work I do, especially now that I work for myself exclusively. I also do a LOT of volunteer work, were I am not paid in $$$ and I do a lot of barter as well, to get services for my services.

I'm not doing so much catering or personal chef work these days. I am in school full time and so I do more of the other types of work that can bring in a lot of money for less of a time commitment.

I get between $20-$100 in tips per session for massage, doula work or catering gigs.

#27 Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard my job described as, "educator" and "babysitter" this past week, but I'm going to go with "teacher."

Yup, but you really learn it all on-the-job anyway.

Are you paid hourly?

As of this year, yes, but only for about 1/2 the hours I work (bummer!), though, I answer the poll with the hourly rate that's on my pay cheque.

Do you get tips?

If so, how does that factor into your pay? Nope.

We're right-to-work. Depending on the type of work, it can be as little as $2.10.

More, thanks be.

Yes and no. I feel like there's not a lot of room for advancement. As a beginner, its fine. However, my mom has been in the game over 25 years and makes only a couple grand a year more than me. That's not awesome.

Also, there's a lot of "required" time for teachers that's not paid - in my county anyway. Contrary to popular belief, we're not paid any vacation time and we have to buy our sick time in escrow (its really complicated, so I won't go into it.) So, that kind of stinks.

Also, I couldn't have kids with my salary (I make less than the requirement for adoption / foster kids), and if I did, I could never send them to college even if I was married to another person in my profession without having another job on the side. I know a lot of people do this, but for 4-year degree professionals, that seems a little weak. Also, since I'm in the business of helping prepare other people's kids for college that kind of burns a little. However, I would be miserable in another job after knowing this one so well, so its a trade off, you know? Can't put a price on happiness and all that.

The poll is anonymous so please answer honestly and add anything you feel comfortable adding here.

Teachers are among the most underpaid and under appreciated professions. I taught preschool for many years myself and I understand how it is, though I no longer teach, I admire teachers a lot!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#28 Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. I was a preschool teacher too (I had a 2 year degree for that, NOT a school teacher's degree) and even as a director, it paid less than $25 an hour!

#29 Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? I'm a hostess at a restaurant - I cashier, work in the gift shop, seat people, count tills, and lock the place up at night (or unlock it in the morning)

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? nope.

Are you paid hourly? Yes.

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? very irregularly. Once in awhile I'll get a dollar or something.

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? $7.15?

Do you get more or less than that? more

Do you feel you are paid fairly? very much so.
#30 Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? Part-time Hebrew school teacher

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? Requires some specific knowledge (ability to read Hebrew and know some basic language and basic religious knowledge) but no actual requirements

Are you paid hourly? Yes

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? $7.15/hour

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Generally, yes, but sometimes when they kids are acting up I feel like they can't pay me enough to come back to work. It pays fairly well as far as jobs for teenagers go, but I would never want to do this as an adult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page