What are you paid? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What is your hourly wage?
$2-$5 per hour 0 0%
$5-$8 per hour 0 0%
$8-$11 per hour 0 0%
$11-$15 per hour 0 0%
$15-$20 per hour 0 0%
$20-$30 per hour 0 0%
$30-$45 per hour 0 0%
$45-$65 per hour 0 0%
$65-$100 per hour 0 0%
Minimum wage (please specify what that is) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? Private homeschool teacher

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training?

Normally yes, I have education in social work, but the other 'teacher' is a certified teacher. I have since taken over her job, so technically I should have had some teaching experience

Are you paid hourly? yes

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? no

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? I think it's about 7-8 dollars. Where I work, when I applied, the 'ad' said between $20-25/hour, so yes I am paid fairly

Do you get more or less than that? Between that amount

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

i forgot to mention that i only (usually) work 5-6 hours a day so i guess considering that, i am paid fairly, considering my paycheck is based on a 40 hour work week. (they just do that so it's more simple to fill out). and, i work sunrise til noon (more or less), so i basically get the rest of the day free...

that's pretty sweet
#33 Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Yes.

As a massage therapist/holistic health practitioner/yoga instructor/trainer/nutritional consultant/doula/personal chef I get paid between $45 and $125 per session/hour. On average, I get $75 per hour.

My cousin dwells in those financial realms. I doubt I'll ever join you two lol (unfortunately). Her christmas bonus was just under my yearly salary! But, she doesn't like her job and I bet you do.
#34 Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Unemployed
#35 Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkified View Post

i forgot to mention that i only (usually) work 5-6 hours a day so i guess considering that, i am paid fairly, considering my paycheck is based on a 40 hour work week. (they just do that so it's more simple to fill out). and, i work sunrise til noon (more or less), so i basically get the rest of the day free...

that's pretty sweet

That AND you get to live rent-free? Sweeeet deal indeed! Rent is a HUGE expense (my biggest monthly and I'm sure all others who pay rent too) and if I could be rid of that, I would be rollin' (or could save for a house, for my kid's college fund, pay off bills, go on vacation etc.).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#36 Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watrmelon Sugar View Post

My cousin dwells in those financial realms. I doubt I'll ever join you two lol (unfortunately). Her christmas bonus was just under my yearly salary! But, she doesn't like her job and I bet you do.

I love all that I do, and still, I long to live in a rich person's guest house and take care of their health and wellness needs until I can afford a retreat center/bed and breakfast of my own!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#37 Old 01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I love all that I do, and still, I long to live in a rich person's guest house and take care of their health and wellness needs until I can afford a retreat center/bed and breakfast of my own!

yea. my husband i would like to own a camp ground when we retire.
#38 Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

We don't get paid by the hour here so I didn't answer the poll. But to answer the questions...

What kind of work do you do?

I'm a web copywriter, both full time and freelance.

No.

Are you paid hourly?

No.

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay?

We get commissions on some sales at my full time job.

What is the minimum wage where you live and work?

Around $8.5/day.

Do you get more or less than that?

More.

Do you feel you are paid fairly?

Yes.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#39 Old 01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

You can still answer the poll, by calculating what an hourly rate would be for you based on your salary. I almost included this in the OP. Maybe I should edit it.

#40 Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM

I have no job.
#41 Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You can still answer the poll, by calculating what an hourly rate would be for you based on your salary. I almost included this in the OP. Maybe I should edit it.

I admit, I was feeling a tad lazy to compute, what with not having fixed hours when doing freelance work, but I've come up with a rough estimate and voted. \t

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#42 Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of work do you do? Stable Management

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? You can get a degree, but most barns don't care as long as you know what your doing. I plan on eventually getting a degree, but I'm 17 now.

Are you paid hourly? Sometimes. Hourly for training and riding a horse, but per job when I feed and clean up.

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? Nope. No tips. That would be nice though.

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? I think its 6.85 now. Dollars

Do you get more or less than that? More or less. It depends. Not all of my tasks are paid by the hour since I'm not a full time worker.

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Yeah. In the horse industry you are paid by your expertise and knowledge, so theres really no fair wage, it just depends on how much you know and how effective you are.
#43 Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a student and work part time, I get what I think is around $11-12 an hour (I'm in England).

I sort of think I get paid fairly...I work in a cafe in a leisure center and the lifeguards there get paid a starting wage of $15 and it can go up. I know they need training for what they do, but they do no work at all. Occasionally a kid slips and needs some ice and they run around like headless chickens, but that's it. They've even admitted to me more than once that they'd hate to do my job because it's too hard! And they get more breaks (inbetween sitting on their behinds). So it does annoy me that I have to be working three times harder than them and still get paid less.

Still, I get paid a fair bit more than some of my friends in part time work in places like supermarkets, etc, so it's not too bad. Mostly just me habouring hatred towards the lifeguards who like to come in my kitchen and make a mess.

And I'm not allowed to accept tips either, despite it being a cafe and me having to go out of my way for customers every single shift.

Although it's rare that they even offer me one, to be honest.
#44 Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I love lifeguarding and the job wasn't always easy. There's a great deal of responsibility there. I actually made a successful business out it for 5 years.

I still work part time with my business but have been doing it less and less by choice. I ended up teaching private swim lessons and made about $25/hr. My other part-time/ sometimes full-time job is managing a furniture store. I gave up commission a long time ago in favor of setting my own hours and designing the website from home. I make $15/hr. I don't exactly feel like that's fair but I enjoy so much flexibility that it's a good compromise for me.

Interesting thread
#45 Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a technical support engineer

It generally requires a BS in computer science, but I'm convinced that a lot of people could do it with an AA and experience and in some cases just experience.

Are you paid hourly?

No, I'm salaried and I generally spend about 44 hours a week at work.

No tips for me.

I think it's $7.50 an hour here in CA

I get significantly more than that.

Overall yes, but I do wish that I'd get some of the sales commission when I do more than the standard amount to land an account.
#46 Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a bookseller at Barnes and Noble

No, but in all honesty people who are interested in literature are far much more suited to the job. I do a lot of recommendations on a daily basis, and the fact that I love to read really helps me do so.

Are you paid hourly?

Yes

Nope. I need them

I believe it's $7.25?

A teeny bit more

Well.....not really. It's not a hard job, but I was hired at this pay when minimum wage was $6.75, and when minimum wage went up my wage stayed the same, so now I am basically a minimum wage worker. I don't consider my job a minimum wage job, it's a bit more specialized and I daresay more "classy" than a fry cook, who gets paid the same. I'm expected to dress in business casual attire and the hiring process was pretty rigorous, not just anyone can get a job there. Also, I've been working there about a year and a half and I haven't gotten a raise, which is partially my fault because I was studying abroad when the evaluation period came around in October. If I had been here I would've been raised a dollar or so. I guess I'm not too bothered...my feet hurt at the end of the day, and it can get boring, but I can't think of a retail job I would like more, and the discount is great!

When I get back to France, I hope to do some babysitting or something. I'm a student, and I'm totally poor right now .
#47 Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Office work in a retail store

No

Are you paid hourly?

Yes

No, but I can get 10% commission if I sell a service plan. However, since I'm in the office most of the time and not cashiering, I don't get the opportunity to sell them that often.

$8 per hour

More.

No. For what I do I could go almost anywhere else in this area and get paid at least $2 more an hour, but because my hours of availability are limited and I have seniority where I work, I haven't really looked around all that much. I do get pretty good discounts though, so it's nice when I need to buy computer related stuff.
#48 Old 01-13-2008, 03:31 PM

I am a real estate title examiner.

I got only on the job training, but the training is extensive, and my state requires continuing ed hours per year. It requires great knowledge of real estate transfer and foreclosure law.

Minimum in my state just went up. I think it's $7.25 now, but do not quote me on that

I make more than that. I feel I am paid pretty fairly, and really only require periodic raises to keep up with cost of living and to let me know they think I am doing well.
#49 Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't done the poll yet, should I convert my wage or just put it as if the poll were in pounds?

What kind of work do you do?Retail in a shoe shop, till work, stocking shelves and helping annoying customers

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training?Nothing

Are you paid hourly?Yup

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay?Nope

What is the minimum wage where you live and work?16-17yr olds = £3.40 18-21yr olds = £4.60 Everyone else= £5.52

Do you get more or less than that? I'm 19 and get £5.60

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Yeah, around minimum wage is normal for this kind of work, I'm lucky the company I work for doesn't have the 18-21 band lol.
#50 Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

community college Writing Faculty

Yes, at least an MA, although I have several colleagues with PhD's. I have an MA and an MFA.

Are you paid hourly? No.

Occasionally students give me presents, but no, no tips!

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? It's somewhere between 6 and 7 dollars.

Do you get more or less than that? More.

Do you feel you are paid fairly? I suppose it would be nice to have more, but I have enough to live on comfortably since I live pretty simply, and I make considerably more than secondary school teachers. I have to read and grade big stacks of student essays, which faculty in other disciplines don't have to do. Sometimes I think Writing faculty should get something extra...

I didn't vote in the poll, because I'm salaried and have no idea what I make hourly.
#51 Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I teach a parenting/family class. I work with the kids (aged 10-14) half of the time and then with their parents the other half of the time.

To be able to teach these classes you have to go to a two and a half day training course, but other than that, no.

Are you paid hourly?

I get paid per session I teach. There are seven sessions in a class.

Nope.

I think it's like 2.15 for people who get tipped and something between $5 and $6 for non tipped people.

More.

Yes. I love doing what I do and it's got incredibly flexible hours that let me choose when and where I want to work. I get paid a lot more than my friends, but they get on the whole more than I do because they work more hours. That doesn't bother me, since I don't have a car or anything that requires a constant cash flow.

#52 Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

JOB #1

What kind of work do you do? Software development mostly ... although some other work that involves fixing hardware/software issues for businesses which can be anything from investigating server downtime to teaching a user how to type 'http://'.

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? Well, yes and no ... to get this as a permenant job, I would need a Bachelors degree. At the moment I'm on a 'year in industry', which I guess is comparable to an internship, after which I will work towards my degree. Even if you come in as a graduate, you learn most stuff on-the-job.

Are you paid hourly? No, I am salaried.

Do you get tips? If so, how does that factor into your pay? No.

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? 16-17yr olds = £3.40 18-21yr olds = £4.60 Everyone else = £5.52

Do you get more or less than that? If I assume a 37.5 hour week (I, and all the other developers, actually work a lot more hours than this. But technically we're supposed t be doing 37.5 hours) I get £6.66 an hour.

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Most definitely! They took me on with little knowledge and experience, I get plenty of money compared to what I need for this time in my life and tons of experience too

JOB #2

What kind of work do you do? I work one-to-one with a woman with learning difficulties, we go on a social event a week together. Mostly bowling and the cinema.

Does this require a degree or specialized training beyond on the job training? Nope, well, my boss taught me how to put up and down a wheelchair a few days before I started work.

Are you paid hourly? Yes.

Do you get tips? No, and the council are VERY strict about receiving gifts, etc.

What is the minimum wage where you live and work? 16-17yr olds = £3.40 18-21yr olds = £4.60 Everyone else = £5.52

Do you get more or less than that? A fair bit more (£6.57).

Do you feel you are paid fairly? Yes, definitely. And the council pay expenses, so I get free activities (mostly cinema or bowling) out of it.
#53 Old 01-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My title is "Sr. Pipeline Mapper" and I draw maps, routes and alignment sheets for proposed pipelines. Usually pipelines for the oil/energy industries, but I'm sure if we got a lucrative enough contract, we could design a pipeline for water, hydrogen or even soup! (Yes, soup. Campbells Soup actually pipes some of their product through pipelines. It's short distance, but it's still a true pipeline.)

It doesn't require a degree, but it helps to have a degree in at least Drafting Technology. I have that and a BA in graphics, though I don't use that much. It seems to help mostly on the resume. I have had specialized training over the years, both paid by me and by whatever company I worked for that needed me to be better able to use the software. In that case, it's knowing how to use AutoCAD Civil 3D, Land Desktop and ESRI ArcMap. Although I've only had a company send me to training on Land Desktop, with the other two as on-the-job-training.

Are you paid hourly?

Yes. That's standard for drafting/designing.

No, but this and the last company were the first in a long time to give bonuses and hefty ones at that

In Houston, it's the same as the rest of the US for whatever the Federal Minimum Wage is at now. I haven't worked at that wage in so long that I don't know exactly what it is anymore. I know it was raised recently, but only vaguely remember it being a measely $5.75 per hour, well below the poverty rate. Houston did try to get a "living wage" some years back, but the huge number of restaurants (we have well over 8000) opposed it well enough to defeat it resoundingly.

Many times that wage, but I've also built up to it over the years. Ten years of AutoCAD experience and about as much in hand drafting have gotten me to the level of pay and responsibility I'm at now.

Yes, I do, sometimes more than what I expect when bonuses are factored in.
#54 Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Well.....not really. It's not a hard job, but I was hired at this pay when minimum wage was $6.75, and when minimum wage went up my wage stayed the same, so now I am basically a minimum wage worker. I don't consider my job a minimum wage job, it's a bit more specialized and I daresay more "classy" than a fry cook, who gets paid the same. I'm expected to dress in business casual attire and the hiring process was pretty rigorous, not just anyone can get a job there. Also, I've been working there about a year and a half and I haven't gotten a raise, which is partially my fault because I was studying abroad when the evaluation period came around in October. If I had been here I would've been raised a dollar or so. I guess I'm not too bothered...my feet hurt at the end of the day, and it can get boring, but I can't think of a retail job I would like more, and the discount is great!

When I get back to France, I hope to do some babysitting or something. I'm a student, and I'm totally poor right now .

I know what you mean. I worked for Blackwell's in Scotland and the hiring process was quite tough for what seemed to be just a customer service job - lengthy cover letter plus long interview plus full day's trial and I was only paid a little over 5 pounds per hour. And they stuck me in the academic department so I had to deal with really stressed out students who left it until the last minute to buy study guides which we didn't have in stock!
#55 Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 PM

I'm a VP at an IT consulting firm.

I hold multiple industry certifications and the job is highly technical from a tactical standpoint, but my strategic goals are business/financial.

Are you paid hourly?

I'm salaried.

I get bonuses.

The federal minimum wage; no state-level mandates in Texas.

More.

Yes. I don't need a new car every month or a trophy wife, so I'm fine with where I am.
#56 Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Educational content development and web design.

Past teaching experience and degrees in education certainly help.

Are you paid hourly?

No.

No.

The federal minimum wage.

More.

Yes. We couldn't live on my income, but I do get a decent return on the hours I put in, plus I can work at my own pace and from the comfort of my own home while preparing for the arrival of Baby-Makes-Three.
#57 Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Stay-at-home mother.

No, it's more "learn as you go".

Are you paid hourly?

No, my salary is based on hugs and kisses.

Yes, I get the occasional cuddle.

No idea.

More, so much more.

I get paid more than I ever imagined I was worth receiving.

Okay - not what you were looking for, but had to answer
#58 Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

I know what you mean. I worked for Blackwell's in Scotland and the hiring process was quite tough for what seemed to be just a customer service job - lengthy cover letter plus long interview plus full day's trial and I was only paid a little over 5 pounds per hour. And they stuck me in the academic department so I had to deal with really stressed out students who left it until the last minute to buy study guides which we didn't have in stock!

UGH PEOPLE DO THAT ALL THE TIME!!!!!! It's like ok you've known you needed this book for weeks, and just now ALL OF YOU come in to get the book at the same time??? And then they get mad that we don't have the book, because we don't ever stock like 30 copies of books, and teachers never call ahead to order extra books in. SO ANNOYING.
#59 Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Cute post, Vegreenmom
#60 Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Cute post, Vegreenmom

Why thank you (^_^)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page