MP3 Player Poll: Creative, Zune, iPod, Other - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Which brand of MP3 player do you prefer overall?
Apple 0 0%
Creative 0 0%
Microsoft (Zune) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
I don't like MP3 Players 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Which brand do you PREFER (not currently use), and why. Things to consider,
  1. Availability of your desired storage capacity.
  2. Companion software.
  3. How propriatary is it?
  4. Looks
  5. Interface (what it's like to get around/operate).
  6. FM Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Beginner

I don't have one but my wife has a 30GB iPod and it works fine, so thats what I chose.
#3 Old 12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never really used other brands, so I prefer Apple. Works fine for me.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#4 Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted other. I went out of my way not to buy an ipod....for a start I'm not into all that dross with apple's itunes, and they don't have the sort of music on there that I'd listen to anyway.

I've got an iRiver Clix. It suits my needs really well and looks pretty slick too.

My only complaint was that I found I needed to use better quality headphones than the ones that came with it as they weren't that great. But that doesn't mean much because I always find I have to upgrade on those which ever player I've had.
#5 Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I <33333 my Sansa e200. I picked one up when they were still going for $100 and I love it. I've installed Rockbox on it and I can now play games, install custom themes and just otherwise have a very nice looking player.

I dislike iPods and proprietary music formats, so the .aac has gotta go for me. Mine can do pretty much everything I need- voice recorder, multiple formats, a nice interface, expandable memory, user replaceable battery... there's so much more.

But really, so much of my love for the thing is because I use different firmware. The player its self does have a much better feel than an iPod, however.

#6 Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Beginner

wow, I've never even heard of iRiver Clix or Sansa. what is the storage capacity of your players like? I do like the idea of voice recorder, multiple formats (although I think iPod plays multiple formats too), expandable memory. But i don't know about a user replacable battery. Is it like a digital camera where you have to just replace them every time it runs out or can you recharge it?
#7 Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

iRiver has a rechargable battery.

it's available in 2, 4 or 8G storage, so it's only suitable for people like myself who aren't interested in carrying around their entire music collection.
#8 Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

I've never really had anything other than an iPod. I've had two - a 15GB monochrome and when that filled up I bought an 80GB video. I've never had a problem with either and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if anything were to happen to mine.

I listen to mine all the time. If you're not so into music and will only use it occasionally I'd probably recommend getting something cheaper.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#9 Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPercussion View Post

wow, I've never even heard of iRiver Clix or Sansa. what is the storage capacity of your players like? I do like the idea of voice recorder, multiple formats (although I think iPod plays multiple formats too), expandable memory. But i don't know about a user replacable battery. Is it like a digital camera where you have to just replace them every time it runs out or can you recharge it?

I have an e series Sansa that's a 4GB player, but you can easily get ones at least twice that size now. Mine also has the voice recorder, can play multiple formats (including video and photos), has expandable memory, has FM radio and can record from it. Mine charges when plugged into the USB on my computer. Some of the Sansa players work like this and others use regular batteries. I have rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for the player that takes that type.

In the past I've had a couple of Archos players that I loved. I wasn't crazy about the firmware on those, so I installed Rockbox.
#10 Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Woot.com occasionally has Sansa and Zune models that are relatively inexpensive. The Zunes are refurb but I think the Sansas are new.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#11 Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 PM

I have a Sansa and think it's good. It's definitely no-frills, but the price is right. I had some problems with the firmware in the first one I got (for a Christmas present), but the company furnished me with a new one very promptly, so no complaints.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

**** all this iPod craze, I have a Creative and I'm proud.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I voted other. I went out of my way not to buy an ipod....for a start I'm not into all that dross with apple's itunes, and they don't have the sort of music on there that I'd listen to anyway.

I've got an iRiver Clix. It suits my needs really well and looks pretty slick too.

Nice choice. I was considering buying a newer iriver but they are hard to find in Canada. I have an old iriver h120 (sort of like an ipod, except awesome instead of lame), and it's still the best MP3 player ever made, better then anything you can currently buy.

I like to have a second MP3 player that's highly portable, so I bought a Samsung YP-K3 for when I'm on the go. It's really cool looking and has touch buttons, and you can upgrade the firmware so that again, no software at all is needed.
#14 Old 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

IPod

Its so easy to use,i have about 2500 songs and i can find a song in a few seconds,i can use it in the car and i also have the Bose sound dock to listen in the house.
#15 Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Not proud enough to vote for it though, Cobber!
#16 Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe, just too lazy But now I voted.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#17 Old 12-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Me, too.

The main things for me were user replaceable battery, no weird file restrictions on player or from the software, and ability to use as a pen drive without annoying software. Mine is a very small basic one, and doesn't even use playlists, but I use it mostly for podcasts. It also came with both a clip and an arm strap. I hope to get a bigger one for music in the car.
#18 Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 AM

Mines a creative zen too.
#19 Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a low end Creative Labs MP3. It holds 512MB.

It suits my needs, but feels kind of cheap.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#20 Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm currently using my sony walkman phone, but I'm getting an Ipod for christmas. I like them because I find that they're the best value for money. I've used creativ ones and I just don't like them, I can't explain why. They kind of feel cheap and look like they're fake Ipods off a market.

The only thing that annoys me about Ipod is that you have to store something on your hard drive to store it on your ipod, but I want an external hard drive to store my music/movies on anyway because I have two computers that I like to use.
#21 Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

iRiver has a rechargable battery.

it's available in 2, 4 or 8G storage, so it's only suitable for people like myself who aren't interested in carrying around their entire music collection.

They aren't a nice company though. My friend had an Iriver that stopped working one day, she sent it off and they kept it for about 6 months then told her that the repairs would be (£100, £20 more than the mp3 player itself). It was still under manufacturer waranty but they refused to fix it without payment because of a slight dint in the back which didn't affect it at all when it happened.
#22 Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Why do we only have a choice of expensive, overrated branded goods?
#23 Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have something not listed pick the other option
#24 Old 12-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Beginner

I have an Archos 104. it has 4GB and working pretty well for now. I have even got it wet, and it came back to life
#25 Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I just use my nokia n70 phone. My dad got a contract upgrade so I nabbed his old phone. I bought a 2gb memory card for £17 and tadaaaa mp3 player!

only downside is the battery gets drained fast if im listening to music/radio, texting, calling, taking photos and playing games all on the same thing haha.
#26 Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

They aren't a nice company though. My friend had an Iriver that stopped working one day, she sent it off and they kept it for about 6 months then told her that the repairs would be (£100, £20 more than the mp3 player itself). It was still under manufacturer waranty but they refused to fix it without payment because of a slight dint in the back which didn't affect it at all when it happened.

one bad experience doesnt make a bad company though.
#27 Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a Sansa e250, 2Gb player. I love it! It plays videos, has a voice recorder, FM radio, it's small and stylie, and is expandable (micro SD). I deliberately got something that wasn't an iPod, largley cuz I hate their approach to proprietary software, and I HATE iTunes. and the Sansa was cheaper than the comparable Nano... AND it's purty!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#28 Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an iRiver Clix as well and it's very nice. Except for one thing... I am a showtunes freak and whever I put a soundtrack into my MP3 player, it categorizes it into artists and separates the entire playlist. I'm sure there's a way around that, I just haven't found it yet...
#29 Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum42 View Post

I have an e series Sansa that's a 4GB player, but you can easily get ones at least twice that size now. Mine also has the voice recorder, can play multiple formats (including video and photos), has expandable memory, has FM radio and can record from it. Mine charges when plugged into the USB on my computer. Some of the Sansa players work like this and others use regular batteries. I have rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for the player that takes that type.

In the past I've had a couple of Archos players that I loved. I wasn't crazy about the firmware on those, so I installed Rockbox.

Thank you so much for the heads-up about Rockbox!! I wasn't aware of it until now. I love my Sansa even more now!!!!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#30 Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Beginner

For those that have players with 16GB or less storage, so you can't hold your whole library on it, is it very much of a pain when you want something on it that's not there? With my wife's iPod I imagine it would suck to have to switch things up every time. The only way that I can see to do that is to uncheck all the ones we don't want. Given the size of our library, that's more checking and un-checking than I'd rather do.-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page