a story about a veggie going back to omni - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I came across this and wanted to share it with you guys. I could feel my blood pressure rising as I read it. I'd love it if you'd share your opinions. Maybe you've seen it before, since it looks like it was written quite a few years ago. It's about a person who went veggie and then went back to eating meat.

http://www.consciouschoice.com/issue...ethturkey.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Banned

She seems alright to me.....

Quote:

I still admired vegans for their superior habits, purity of body, and indubitable health.

#3 Old 09-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

"If it weren't for meat-eaters, chickens would be extinct. -- Mike Spera "

-----------------------

I read this far and said the hell with wasting my time on this ;-)
#4 Old 09-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I came across this and wanted to share it with you guys. I could feel my blood pressure rising as I read it. I'd love it if you'd share your opinions. Maybe you've seen it before, since it looks like it was written quite a few years ago. It's about a person who went veggie and then went back to eating meat.

http://www.consciouschoice.com/issue...ethturkey.html

I guess I have a different perspective on this.

Since this woman has chosen to eat far less meat than the average person, and was a vegetarian for twenty-some years, I will applaud her for the positive choices she has made. In other words, I see the glass as half-full rather than half-empty.

I think I have said many times before that we will have many more veg*ns if we have an "open door" policy and don't get condemnatory of those who leave or change their minds. People (omnis) will see how we treat ex-veggies, and if we treat them poorly, they (omnis) will be more reluctant to try veg*nism.

I'm not into yin and yang, but many vegetarians are, so eating meat is not essential to "balancing" yin and yang.

I am not sure what it was about this story that made you angry. I think the woman made some bad choices in the end, but her choices were better than most people's.
#5 Old 09-26-2003, 07:33 PM

I do applaud her for giving it a pretty good chance, but I'm still quite disappointed in her reasoning. It doesn't really seem she was too aware of what actually happens in the factory farms & slaughterhouses. It also annoys me a bit because these kind of articles always seem to be trying to justify what they're doing. Why not just go back to eating meat silently if you're going to do it?
#6 Old 09-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually have great respect for her. Unlike the typical uneducated, hypocritical omni, she is extremely well-educated and knows what her views are. She did, in fact, make a "Conscious Choice" to eat meat again and I have to respect her opinion.
#7 Old 09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with Flower on this one. Those were my thoughts exactly.

From what I gathered out of the article, she didn't eat healthy enough to be balanced in the first place. She was on SAD...minus the meat. That wouldn't make me feel balanced either.

And for her to say she needed meat to make her soul healthy? Come on!
#8 Old 09-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Her ideas don't seem to be well thought out...she strikes me as a bit flaky.
#9 Old 09-26-2003, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post

Her ideas don't seem to be well thought out...she strikes me as a bit flaky.

Ditto! I couldn't even get through this 'article'.
#10 Old 09-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Why not just go back to eating meat silently if you're going to do it?

I think if I went back to eating meat I'd do it silently cause I'd be too ashamed of myself to publicise it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 09-27-2003, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think if I went back to eating meat I'd do it silently cause I'd be too ashamed of myself to publicise it.

Yeah same here, Because I mean I don't know how many times I've had to defend myself when people are like "Omg your vegetarian.. why?!"

So if I ever went back I'd be like a massive hypocrite.. so I wouldn't willingly publise it..
#12 Old 09-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if I went back to the dark side would I have vegetables waved in my face rather than pieces of dead animal?
#13 Old 09-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I so totally DON'T relate to her... I can barely understand her reasoning.

"It denudes me of that hubris that says you are what you eat, and you're too good to be an animal."

Huh? I mean, I get that she was grossed out by the flesh and blood and all, but huh? And the animals were killed so SHE could live? Isn't that a bit vain? If no-one ate meat there'd be no need to kill animals for meat. I'm glad she's more self-aware now and all but she had a crap diet from what she listed so no wonder she felt like crap...
#14 Old 09-28-2003, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

She said the? Now I know why I didn’t read it. All I can say is oh well. The Vegetarian population is increasing over all, right?
#15 Old 09-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

She sounds like the sort of person that would annoy me if I met her in real life.
#16 Old 09-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh SallyK, you scared me, I thought you were referring to yourself!
#17 Old 09-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Alpaca Guy View Post

The Vegetarian population is increasing over all, right?

In the US, the veg*n population is staying at roughly the same % of the population. An overall increase in numbers, but not relative to the rest of society.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page