Fred Phelps Fundamentalist Church loses $10.9 Million Suit - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7072404.stm

A church whose members cheered a soldier's death as "punishment" for US tolerance of homosexuality has been told to pay $10.9m (£5.2m) in damages.

The Westboro Baptist Church was taken to court by the father of Lance Cpl Matthew Snyder, a marine who died serving in Iraq in March 2006.

The church cited its constitutional right to free speech in its defence.

But Albert Snyder's lawyer urged the jury to ensure the damages were high enough to stop the church campaigning. Members of the church - based in Topeka, Kansas - have denounced homosexuality for years, initially targeting the funerals of Aids victims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 AM

A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict against a fundamentalist church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

Albert Snyder sued the Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

The federal jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21566280/

Phelps sisters, both attorneys, promise the verdict will be reversed on appeal. Will it be and should it be on First Amendment grounds?
#3 Old 11-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

"Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."" That is just despicable, regardless of if it is constitutional or not.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#4 Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

That is just despicable, regardless of if it is constitutional or not.

Agreed, their behaviour is despicable but the U.S. constitution doesn't/shouldn't make value judgements.
#5 Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree, limiting anyones rights hurts everyone.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#6 Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

A big chunk of me thinks they got what they deserve (well actually they deserve to have their own children die in the military, but I don't really wish that on anyone), but the rational, law related part agrees that they didn't really break any laws, except for maybe demonstrating w/o a permit (I don't know if they had one).

I know there is at least one psycho for everything, but I'm horrified that these people exist.
#7 Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I despise what they say, but they have every right to say it. We can't go picking and choosing when to uphold the Constitution.
#8 Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Fred Phelps is a disgusting, repulsive excuse for a human being. The hatred him and his followers spew is appalling and sickening. The fact that they raise their children into believing their "beliefs" is beyond disturbing. I am glad the grieving father won the lawsuit. I can't even imagine what it was like for him to bury his child while the church members held up signs saying he deserved to die.
#9 Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 AM

surely, if fred phelps has the right to do this, then I should have the right to stand on a street corner and shout out his bank details, all day.

If I knew them.

#10 Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

but the rational, law related part agrees that they didn't really break any laws, except for maybe demonstrating w/o a permit (I don't know if they had one).

I am not a lawyer but this was a CIVIL lawsuit not a CRIMINAL one; there is a difference. I think in the civil lawsuit the jury judges not whether the defendant broke any criminal laws but whether they caused harm to another person. A criminal lawsuit is brought on by the state; a civil lawsuit is brought on by the harmed person. In this case, the picketers harmed the grieving family's right to privacy, hence they are guilty in the civil lawsuit.
#11 Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I want to sue everyone that's hurt my feelings now.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#12 Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
God promised dire outpourings of very painful wrath, and theres nothing more painful than killing one of your children and thats whats going on in Iraq, church founder Fred Phelps told msnbc.com in a 2006 interview. Thats what were preaching and the forum of choice to deliver such a message, obviously, is the funeral of the kid thats been blown to smithereens."

What a vile, disgusting human being.
#13 Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i don't care what the hell those people do, but have some tact for christ sakes, that's a soldier. give it a rest.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#14 Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a difference between free speech and harassment. It's hard for me to be objective in this case, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page