Choices choices... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always wanted a laptop and now that I have a job (that pays really little since it's only once a week) I am closer to being able to buy one. So my brother is a technical dude and he says I should buy a dell. And I've looked at them and they look good. I expecially want the green colored one

I'm just curios to see what other laptops are out there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

My nephew is selling his laptop to his friend but I have no idea what's what in any kind of computer.
#3 Old 10-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a Dell laptop and it SUCKS! Stay away from them... If I were you I'd get a MacBook.
#4 Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend used to work at an electronics store.

When I went to get a laptop, he recommended that I stay away from Dells and Acers. I ended up getting an Acer, because I wanted a laptop with XP on it, and I have had no issues with it so far... he said that the hardware isn't good in Acers, and he used to get a lot of returns because the screen wouldn't work, ect.

He really likes HP. He recommended a HP to my friend... she got an Acer, had problems with it, turned around and got a Gateway, which is rather pricy, but she likes it.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
#5 Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I've known 2 people with dells and they're both rubbish. They have good specs for their price but last about 5mins then break on you. Acers are bad too, all the acer laptops I've know have broken at least once.

I have a toshiba laptop, I had a problem after 2 weeks of having it and they happily took it away and returned it after 7 days (if I remember correctly) I also have an HP desktop which I've had no problems with and a packard bell thats been with us for 6 years no problems.

Don't get a mac if you want a graphics card, I was looking at them the other day and the only way I could get a graphics card better than the one I have at the moment was if I paid over £1000! When I paid £500 for this computer 2 years ago.
#6 Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Two brands I would tell you to run away from are Dell and Acer.

I love toshiba and mac.
#7 Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

i agree with everyone about dell and acer. i have a packard bell which is getting on for 6 years old, and its not had any problems so far apart from with the screen- which miraculously repaired itself. from what i've heard, packard bells' aren't available outside europe, but the US equivelent is hp (add a hewlett, minus a bell!).

if i was buying a new laptop now, i'd get a mac. from experience i've found microsoft is generally a big pain in the backside (stupid windows updates, stupid bluescreen of death, stupid error codes, and now the immensely stupid vista) and with the dual boot system, and microsoft office for mac, there are loads of pro-mac incentives.
#8 Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Acer is EVIL dont get an acer! stay awaaayy! dont let the cheap prices lure you in they break for no reason! I treat my laptop like GOLD and its had to be sent away several times... one time they lost it, the next time they tried to charge £400 for repairs even though it was under warranty.. then 6 weeks later when i got it back it was a different laptop and they didnt notify me of that (or that it was being delivered). the dvd drive was one of the broken parts, so i lost all my stuff and never even got the option of having it restored

ive heard good things about toshiba though - i almost got one and wish i had!
#9 Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Both of mine were Gateways and I haven't had any serious problems with them (my old one went crazy when it hit old age, but I think that's to be expected, and I had a minor issue with a broken A/C adapter with my new one, which was easily replaced).

I think my brother's is Toshiba, and he hasn't had any issues either.
#10 Old 10-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

i have a 4 yr old dell laptop that works great. i like it, but our next one is going to be a mac.
#11 Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

I have a Toshiba (8 months old ) what a heap of junk , thankfully I am getting a full refund and will end up like you , looking for a new one .
#12 Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

meh i like my dell so far. my friend's had a lot of problems with hers, she can't run more than 1 program at a time or it crashes. but she's had it for a couple years and isn't very gentle with it. when it crashes she gets mad and throws it on the floor. so yeah, any computer will break down over time if you treat it like a hackysack, so we went ahead and got a dell anyway. we also got extended warranty and tech support just in case though.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I would recommend getting a Mac. They are more expensive but well worth it.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#14 Old 10-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

i love my older iBook; it's my baby. i'd love a newer macbook.
#15 Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I would love to have a Macbook.

That being said, I currently have two Toshiba Satellite notebooks. The older one has gone through two hard drives but still runs fine. The current one I've had for almost a year and it's been fine.

There's a weird quirky thing that happens with the keyboard/cursor sometimes when I'm typing. The cursor will jump backwards into the middle of a word I've already type and foul everything up. Pretty obnoxious.

Otherwise they've been pretty reliable. (Aside from the old one having so many hard drives)
#16 Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a laptop but I've always had great luck with HP products.
#17 Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a Toshiba laptop that I have had for 4-5 years. Other than having to replace the LCD screen after my cat knocked a figurine onto the laptop, it has been perfect. Hubby has a Sony Vaio that is almost the same age and seems to be gasping its last breath. He wants a desktop, and I'm planning on getting a new laptop so the kids can have mine. I'm kinda leaning toward Mac. I have a friend who loves his.
#18 Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

My son has a Mac and a Dell. He likes the Dell because the service agreement is so good on it. He had their technical people visit him at the dorms in Hawaii twice for issues he had on the computer. He prefers his Mac, but needs a IBM compatible PC at times, so he found the Dell offered him the best combination of features and support.
#19 Old 10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

We've had a Dell for over a year and it's working fine. We treated it with kid gloves though. No eating, drinking or smoking around it. We're a little anal-retentive about the laptop... We also don't do anything besides surf, write and e-mail with it. Oh, and LOTS of digi pics. Runs like a dream so far.

R
#20 Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I've owned a Toshiba laptop for the past 3 years. I had no problems with it until a few months ago, possibly because I do use this every single day for school and such. No major problems, just slow and starting to make some weird noises (which might become a major problems, oops). I will probably get Toshiba again when I need to replace this.

Also, my ex-boyfriend worked at a computer store and can fix computers, and he told me to stay away from Dell. My friend has a Dell laptop also that he had major problems with for most of this year and now it has finally died.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#21 Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Acer is EVIL dont get an acer! stay awaaayy! dont let the cheap prices lure you in they break for no reason! I treat my laptop like GOLD and its had to be sent away several times... one time they lost it, the next time they tried to charge £400 for repairs even though it was under warranty.. then 6 weeks later when i got it back it was a different laptop and they didnt notify me of that (or that it was being delivered). the dvd drive was one of the broken parts, so i lost all my stuff and never even got the option of having it restored

IAWTP! And everyone else who says NOT ACER.

I have had two acer laptops and they have each had a helluva lot of hardware problems.
#22 Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive had my new one a month and its doing OK so far!

Thats quite a miracle, by this time my old laptop had already got no speakers
#23 Old 10-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Ive had my new one a month and its doing OK so far!

Thats quite a miracle, by this time my old laptop had already got no speakers

What model was the old one and what model is the new one Pirate ?
#24 Old 10-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

My old one waass an Acer Aspire 3002LMi

this one is a random unnamed one! I think O_o I havent found the machine that matches it anyway

it has a Aspire 1632ZWLMi sticker on it, but the stats dont match the machine. Most does, but its meant to have 128mb shared intel graphics, but it has a 512mb external ATI graphics card. Oooooooh yeah. Maybe they added it in as they were sorry for twatting me around so much haha

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_...18/version.asp new one minus graphics card

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_...E_/version.asp - old one. Wierdly the first google hit was the exact thing i bought (the bundle was bollocks too - the mouse broke after a few days!). hard to believe 2 years ago that was cheap!
#25 Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

thanks for that ^^....for a minute I thought they were to days prices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page