Wedding rings (do you wear them?) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM

The man and I were talking about this the other night, after reading a marriage thread on VB, and also talking about a friend of my sis who's getting married on short notice.

If you're married (or were), do you either you or your spouse wear a wedding band? Did either of you have an engagement ring?

Neither of my folks where theirs anymore. My dad's has been in a box since (I think) like the day after they got married. My mom stopped wearing hers sometime later, mostly because it didn't fit well.

Do you think that rings are going out of fashion? Are they merely a sign to others that "I'm taken", or is there something more?

Discuss.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not married, but both of my parents still wear theirs. I don't think either of them wear them to work, because they work with their hands and they could be damaged, but they always do when they go out.

I have nothing to say about current trends. Almost all my friends are single, so it's not something I notice.
#3 Old 09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad doesn't wear his, i think he likes to keep it nice because he wears it when he goes out. Its got a small leather case

My mum wears hers all the time, I don't think it can come off now.

I'm not sure about recent trends either, I know couples who are engaged who wear their rings, I'll tell you in a couple of years when they get married.

I think I would wear it all the time, I mean thats the point in them.

One thing you haven't mentioned is an eternity ring, I haven't seen those around at all recently but my Grandma wears that, her engagement ring and her wedding band all the time. I think my Granda wears his wedding band, it depends on if he has that finger or not.
#4 Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Most people I know who are married wear gold bands. Doing "ring checks" when meeting people for the first time still works most of the time.

My parents wear theirs. They take them off for messy jobs like car repair or kneading dough.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a 'set' (the wedding band fits into the engagement ring) so I wear both everywhere but to work. I couldn't see having all that money spent on the engagement ring only to have it sit in a drawer unused.

I don't think my husband could get his ring off if he had to; he has a notch in his finger from wearing it 24/7 for years.
#6 Old 09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My hubby and I wear our respective rings every day unless doing something in which they could get damaged.
#7 Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

I have a 'set' (the wedding band fits into the engagement ring) so I wear both everywhere but to work. I couldn't see having all that money spent on the engagement ring only to have it sit in a drawer unused.

That's how my mother's ring is too. It's actually kind of three thin bands--the big stone is in the middle and the two other bands where attached to either side to make it a wedding ring.
#8 Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

I wear my mom's wedding ring. She gave it to me about 7 or 8 years ago because she wasn't wearing it anymore due to arthritis and swelling in her hands. It's just a simple white gold band that I wear on my middle finger. My dad was going to get her another ring but instead she got a digital camera. She's not big on rings. My dad doesn't wear his either since he works with his hands too much with cars, etc. I have my grandmother's wedding rings as well (her fingers are too swollen now to wear them) but they are old and extremely fragile and waaay too small for my fingers! My ring finger is about a 4-4.5 and they won't fit to save my life. So, those get stored with the rest of the family heirloom jewelry I have.

I used to wear my engagement ring and another diamond ring all the time. The smaller diamond one got crushed though. Then my bf and I went through some tough times last year and I stopped wearing my engagement ring. My fingers felt too naked without it though.

Fona ... I've always wanted an eternity ring but everyone (including sales clerks) tries to talk me out of buying one because of how fragile they are, I guess. And you cannot re-size them without having to add or remove stones. But I want one anyway because they are beautiful.
#9 Old 09-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been wearing mine for 33 years. Hubby doesn't because he installs heating and air conditioning and he's seen too many accidents happen involving fingers and rings. I like mine because before I got married I read an article about Abe Lincoln and how he and his wife had their rings engraved with the phrase "love is eternal". After he was shot his wife used to look at the saying engraved in her ring and it helped her get through the sad times. So we had our rings engraved with the same phrase. It's kind of romantic, I think!
#10 Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I've been wearing mine for 33 years. Hubby doesn't because he installs heating and air conditioning and he's seen too many accidents happen involving fingers and rings. I like mine because before I got married I read an article about Abe Lincoln and how he and his wife had their rings engraved with the phrase "love is eternal". After he was shot his wife used to look at the saying engraved in her ring and it helped her get through the sad times. So we had our rings engraved with the same phrase. It's kind of romantic, I think!

You didn't pick "Never to Fart"? I'm shocked!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#11 Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

No, but I guess I should have!
#12 Old 09-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

my parents don't wear theirs. Dad has a dirty job and mom hates jewelry.
#13 Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, but I guess I should have!

<<< suddenly realizes not everyone has seen "License to Wed" and wonders if she should explain.

#14 Old 09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not married either :P

My mom's been wearing her rings for over 30 yrs since my parents got married. My dad has never worn his because he doesn't like wearing jewelry.

I would wear one if I had one. I wear a ring on my left hand ring finger and have since I was in middle school. It was my great grandma's ring and it only fit my left hand so I've always worn in there.

I gave my bf a ring with dragons and celtic knots for christmas last year because he lost his celtic knotwork ring and was sad about it. He wears it on his right hand, so I imagine he'd wear a wedding ring.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was married I wore a ring, so did my husband. I sized my ring down, and wear it as a pinky ring now. It still holds a lot of sentimental attachment for me, even though we're split up and definitely "OVER".

I love jewelry a lot, it seemed a waste not to wear it, it's the first jewelry anyone's ever given me, and if I'd never been married, I'd never have my wonderful children... and a host of other reasons. Yeah, maybe I'm weird.
#16 Old 09-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

<<< suddenly realizes not everyone has seen "License to Wed" and wonders if she should explain.

Well, I confess, I really didn't 'get it' but thought I would play along! I figured it came from somewhere!
#17 Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Both hubby and I wear rings. I don't know. I just plain like mine. I'm not really a jewelery person - bead necklace maybe - and I really felt that for the jewelery that means something, I want it to be nice. Like a tattoo, I guess. For me it symbolizes something fantastic, incredible, and something I am very proud of and ridiculously happy to have, and it's nice to have a physical show for that. I've been married 4 years, and I still notice my ring, and therefore reflect on my relationship a few times everyday - and yup, I also have a groove.

The engagement ring makes me smile every time I look at it. We had no money when I got it (still don't for that matter), and hubby correctly assumed that I wouldn't want a 'rock' (ick), so it's a sapphire, and it's so small, and nice, and well thought out - Like a bouquet of your favorite wildflowers instead of the 12 long stem roses.

Hubby had to be uber cool, and ordered a titanium ring off the internet somewhere, and it's really nice - I actually don't think I've ever seen him take it off.

And for those of you who would scoff at the 'temporary permanence' of a ring, there is also a tatt in the works - actually of the rings.
#18 Old 09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, I confess, I really didn't 'get it' but thought I would play along! I figured it came from somewhere!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The male lead orders wedding rings with the inscription "Never to Part." However, the jewelry store misreads his handwriting and inscribes "Never to Fart" on the rings. After much ado, they tell him he can have it fixed for $250 more. He forgets about it until the end, when the female lead laughs and says it's OK.

#19 Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just reading back - what is an eternity ring?

ETA: So I just searched for it, and turns out, my wedding ring is one. I got it made special just for me , and it's a white gold band with 10 little round diamonds evenly spaced all the way around - set IN the band, not sticking out, so it's smooth to the touch.
#20 Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Not really into the whole idea of marriage or wedding rings per se. From what I know Tiffany's doesn't buy conflict diamonds anymore, supposedly at least, and I think their celebration stacks are designed pretty well.
#21 Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

i wear a band and my engagement ring at all times. hubby wears his band unless he's at work or biking in which case he puts it on his keychain so he doesn't lose it. he never really wore jewellery before so we weren't sure if he'd be able to stick with it but he got used to it pretty quickly. well, after he got it resized.. it was too big so he was always fidgeting with it and nervous about losing it

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#22 Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

We have plain Tungsten rings that we started wearing a few months before we actually got married. They're big and bulky and funky - and they were cheap. I have jewelry, and didn't want rings at all, but he was pro-ring (he says taken guys get hit on more often, ha!), so we decided to go for it. Tungsten doesn't scratch, and can't be resized, so when we get fat, the rings get chucked.
#23 Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

When I was married I wore a ring, so did my husband. I sized my ring down, and wear it as a pinky ring now. It still holds a lot of sentimental attachment for me, even though we're split up and definitely "OVER".

I love jewelry a lot, it seemed a waste not to wear it, it's the first jewelry anyone's ever given me, and if I'd never been married, I'd never have my wonderful children... and a host of other reasons. Yeah, maybe I'm weird.

That doesn't seem weird but very creative and touching, imo. It's fitting that you kept but changed your ring (a symbol of your relationship) to fit the new terms of the relationship with your ex. I knew someone who took the diamonds and the metal from her wedding ring and had them made into another piece of jewelry. It's a great idea.
#24 Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was engaged (seems like a lifetime ago, really) I had a standard solitaire, small cut. I wore it just about all the time, though it did catch on things easily.

Now, if I were to get engaged/married, I'd want just a band (no fancy schmancy diamond or anything) with some sort of a design on it, perhaps. I do a lot of arts and crafts and always get my hands dirty and into things. Plus, the times I've worn rings that have anything sticking up from it, I've gotten it caught in my hair - my hair is down to my tailbone so it's bound to get caught in those kinds of rings.

I've even thought of doing a tattoo ring; either going all the way around the finger or just something on top. There wouldn't be any problems in getting hands dirty then and I'd never lose it.

And I can make rings out of half-dollars and quarters. So, yeah, I'm not stuck on anything that has to cost a lot.
#25 Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

When I was engaged (seems like a lifetime ago, really) I had a standard solitaire, small cut. I wore it just about all the time, though it did catch on things easily.

Now, if I were to get engaged/married, I'd want just a band (no fancy schmancy diamond or anything) with some sort of a design on it, perhaps. I do a lot of arts and crafts and always get my hands dirty and into things. Plus, the times I've worn rings that have anything sticking up from it, I've gotten it caught in my hair - my hair is down to my tailbone so it's bound to get caught in those kinds of rings.

I've even thought of doing a tattoo ring; either going all the way around the finger or just something on top. There wouldn't be any problems in getting hands dirty then and I'd never lose it.

And I can make rings out of half-dollars and quarters. So, yeah, I'm not stuck on anything that has to cost a lot.

I didn't know your hair is that long. I'm with you on the settings-that-get-caught-on-stuff. I have two Sterling silver rings I wear nearly all the time on my "ring fingers." Both are flat bands with Celtic knot designs on them. I've gotten a couple of comments that it's "bad luck" for me to wear any ring on my left ring finger... come on! Don't be ridiculous! Any man that's going to be scared off because of a ring that doesn't look like the standard wedding ring probably wasn't that interested in me to begin with.

With tattoo jewelry, I'm really rather an idiot. I've only ever seen tattooed rings that are the dark green of most tattoos. Would you want a dark green ring or another color?

#26 Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 AM

My partner and I wear ours all the time, although the rings arent actual wedding rings, theyre just rings we bought for each other and wore before we were married. No engagement rings, dont really believe in all that.
#27 Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

oh yeah, i didn't want a big stone that sticks up and gets caught on everything. also i have really small hands and skinny fingers, anything big looks silly on me, like i raided my mother's jewellery box

for as long as i can remember i've worn a ring my parents got me as a kid, it's silver and carved into little flowers on top. it's simple but pretty and comfortable to wear. i wanted something that wouldn't outshine it too much. so my band is plain white gold satin finish. my engagement ring is actually a band, it's got a strip of satin finish raised up a little and 2 small round diamonds and 2 baguettes, flush with the settings. it's very small and simple but sparkly, it suits me

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#28 Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting married in two weeks, and we both have wedding rings to wear - although I don't wear an engagement band (or hardly any other jewellry for that matter). We'll probably take them off if we do something that could damage them, but other than that it's something that we're actually looking forward to wearing. It's more than a sign of our commitment, it's a sign of how hard we've worked together to build a friendship, a relationship, a home, and soon a family. Ask me if we still feel like that in twenty years time though, it might be a whole different story...

Cyr.
#29 Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not married ((obviously haha)), but I do wear my grandmother's engagement ring and anniversary band. I sort of "inherited" them after she passed away, they were about the only things that were with her during her last days, save maybe an icon or something. People ask me a lot if I'm married or engaged, even though I wear them on the 'wrong' hand ((diamond is on the right hand, band is on the left)). I wish I had pictures of them, the ring is really nice, kind of antique-ey and the band is kinda mod-70 's-ish.

I have NEVER even seen my father's wedding band, and my mother stopped wearing hers after the diamond fell out a few times, then her fingers got too fat. ((They're both still married))

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#30 Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

my engagement ring is also my wedding ring. it is the irish claddagh symbol and there is a diamond in the middle and in each hand is mine and my husbands birthstone. his wedding band matches, but is bigger and there is no diamond in the middle. we, love love love our rings. he wears his more now (12 yrs on the 17 of sept) than i do. we have never worn them for sleeping and when i am doing certain kitchen chores i cant wear mine. but yeah--i have heard of a number of workplace accidents that have taken fingers off--soo in some professions it is better left off!!!lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page