If you want the shorter version (though this is long either way), skip the part in bold. That part is the back story, which probably isn't completely neccessary, but worth saying anyway.
Ok, so I saw that we had a new phone book, so I got the idea to look in it and see if we had any new vet offices listed. Well, it did, and it was one I hadn't ever heard of, so I called to see if they treated rats. (None of my rats need a vet right now, but only one vet in this city treats rats, and I am always looking for a new rat vet because I don't like my current one.) A lady answered the phone, and said that the office wasn't open yet, and they hoped to be open mid to late September. I asked her if she treated rats (it was actually the vet I was speaking to!) and she said, "Of course!" and said she really liked rats and loved to treat them. I also asked her about dog food, and she said she reccomends Royal Canin and Canidae, and dosen't like Science Diet! This is HUGE for me, because ALL of the other vets here reccomend Science Diet, and try to make me feel bad for feeding Canidae, and won't listed to me when I try to explain. Well, the vet and I talked for a bit, and I told her how happy I was to find a vet who reccomended premium brands and not grocery store food. I also asked if she would carry any other brands like Cali Natural, Wellness, Innova, etc. (I like to know what is available) and she said she wouldn't due to space reasons, which I understand.
Later, I was talking to a friend, and she pointed out that I should see about getting a job there as a receptionist, kennel help, or something. I hadn't thought of that, but I called back today, and the lady (it was the vet again, that I had talked to the other day) said that she is taking resumes, so I would like to send her one, but I haven't ever sent a resume before.
Things I would like to (or need to) include:
- I have volunteered at the animal shelter since I was 14, and I have accumulated over 120 hours. I volunteer because I love working with animals and I don't mind hard work.
- I have had 2 previous jobs, and have worked since I was 15.
- I currently have a job as a receptionist, and would rather work at the vet office because I would rather work with animals.
- I currently attened high school, and I am in school from 7 AM until 1:30 PM.
- I would be available and willing to work after school, weekends, and during the summer and other school breaks.
- I would like to work between 10 and 20 hours a week, but I am not sure if I should include that in the resume (it sounds like I am being picky/overdemanding)?
- I drive and have my own vehicle, so transportation is not a problem.
- For one of my references, I have the lady who is the boss of the building at the animal shelter where I voulnteered at. I volunteered there the entire summer when I was 14, and although I didn't volunteer regularly since then, I did show up now and then to bring treats to the dogs, bring cookies to the workers, and sometimes volunteer for a little bit. She knows me pretty well from all this, and even knows my voice on the phone, lol. I called her and she said it was fine for me to use her as a reference, and she gave me her info to put on the resume.
- I could use one or some of my current coworkers as refernces, but my mom said I should use two of my teachers instead. My former ag teacher has had me in her class for 7 years, so she knows me. However, I am not sure how to ask a teacher for her phone number and address for a resume. (Do they really need the address, anyway?) Is it ok to ask?
- In my job as a receptionist, I book appointments, check out customers through the computer, sell retail product, clean (laundry, vaccum, sweep, mop, scrub countertops, orginize drawers), and handle customers. I would like to include this in my resume if I can, to show them that I already do these things, you know?
I know that not many places are willing to hire a 17 year old high school student, but I really want to give this a shot, and I really think I would be great at this job if I was given the chance. I would like to say alot about the volunteering at the animal shelter, but not sure how to include that? I have the animal handling skills from volunteering at the animal shelter, and I have front desk handling skills from working at the hair salon. I want to show them this, but not sure how.