Sept. 11th Memorial Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I said I wasn't going to, but I did watch a special on TV this evening about Septemeber 11th. I watched it because, even though it was painful, I felt like I should go through some of those emotions once again just so I don't forget the horror of that day and the plight of the almost 3,000 victims. I feel/felt like I owed it to them to reflect on the tragedy. I also live near NYC so I know many people who were directly involved & affected by the attacks, including one acquaintance who perished.

So anyways, not to be a total downer, but I wanted to start a thread for people to write about their feelings and leave any hugs/prayers, etc for the victims and their families. I can't believe it's been 2 years already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad to see someone mention Sept. 11th. At least where I am, people aren't talking about it much this year. I think its important for us to remember that tragedy & those who died & pray for their families. It may have been two years, but just the thought of it still brings tears to my eyes. May God be w/all those who lost someone in that horrible tragedy & may we always remember those who died that day. Its hard to find the words to express how I feel, but I'm thankful for this place where we can discuss this.
#3 Old 09-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Every year, to remember Sept. 11, the US should invade a new country.

Yep, I'm a jackass.
#4 Old 09-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Two years ago I woke up and went to work without listening to the news on the radio. When I got to work, Georgi was outside, smoking, looking grim and frightened. She told me what had happened. I didn't want to believe it at first. Went inside and started listening to the radio. I still didn't want to believe it. But it was happening. I called Kirk and told him to turn on the radio. He had just gotten a call from a friend telling him the same thing.

People kept coming in to work. Most of them were scared and shocked, some crying. I tried to send my assistant back home because she couldn't stop crying. She wouldn't go, so I set her down in back and told her not to worry about coming out to the floor. Nobody was shopping anyway. Everyone at work was standing where they could hear the radio, and when we spoke, it was almost in a whisper.

Then I had to leave to go to class, but class was cancelled. All over the Ed building, though, there were televisions with clusters of horrified people watching. I joined one of the groups. This was the first I saw of the live footage. I saw the first building fall. I saw people jumping. My heart felt like it was hugely swollen, like was going to burst into pieces, but I was too shocked to cry. I couldn't tear my eyes away. The second building fell. I can't remember if the Pentagon had been hit yet or not. I can't remember what order things happened in.

I had to go back to work. It was a very hard day. I worked with people who had friends and family in New York City, who could not get through to know if their people were safe. Somehow I made it through the day, and Kirk and I went to dinner. It was there, over the newspaper, that I read about the fourth plane and the brave people on it, who fought the terrorists to bring the plane down before it made it to its target. Those brave, dead people who made that sacrifice. That was when I finally cried.

Later we went to a candlelight vigil at the Unitarian Church. Then I was the one who couldn't stop crying. In a way I'm still crying. I saw part of a special earlier today, which showed footage of the towers falling... It was hard to watch, but I thought I was okay. Until they showed a closer shot of the burning buildings, and little specks that were humans on the ledges outside their windows. Facing the choice of fire behind them, and the drop in front of them. I broke down crying again. I don't think I will ever really get over it, you know? It will always be too painful.

The bravery of the rescue workers continues to awe me. I'm so proud of them all. I'm proud of my sister Denise who is an EMT. I'm proud of all our firefighters and first response workers. They are my heroes.

The war, the stupid war... why anyone thinks it did, or does, any good is beyond me. Hurting more people, killing more people, does nothing to bring back the ones who died. It cannot change what happened. It just strings out the suffering endlessly. I am not proud of my president and my government for starting and continuing that conflict, and it is only another source of pain for me.
#5 Old 09-11-2003, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I rememer 2 years ago everyone at school was talking about it. Then not many of us new about it because we were 11 and there was footage of Osama Bin Laden on the news in the morning and the footage was recent. I think that something may happen on October 12th and November 13th and December 14th and it goes round in a circle until everyone is dead.
#6 Old 09-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_veggie View Post

I think that something may happen on October 12th and November 13th and December 14th and it goes round in a circle until everyone is dead.

The above is a lovely statement.

Here's to hoping for a peaceful future and remembering those we've lost in this and other tragedies.
#7 Old 09-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliner View Post

The above is a lovely statement.

I'll assume that was sarcasisim, anyway eventually the whole world will have to move to a new planet because we screwed up this one up with pollution.
#8 Old 09-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

As for my memory of "9/11"

We were out, and when we came back in the youth hostel we were told "we really missed something".

I coincidently heard something about a plane on the radio, but didn't get the impression I missed "a great show". (that was the impression they gave us).
#9 Old 09-11-2003, 08:11 AM

I've been in a meloncholy mood for the week because of this. I can't get the images of people jumping to their deaths out of my mind. How horrific it must have been inside the building when jumping is a better option.

I really liked the memorial they did with the two spotlights where the towers used to be (see my current avatar). It was a beautiful tribute of rememberance.

Go to Google and do a search using September 11 Tribute. You get a whole slew of beautiful pieces/slideshows set to music. Most spent quite a bit of time producing them.

I saw on TV this morning that a woman from NY idea was chosen for the 9/11 memorial site. It's going to be on the site of where the towers stood. It will be a park and there will be items scattered throughout with the victims names engraved (like park benches, sculptures, etc). There is a memorial of some type being unveiled in PA today too. And a blackened stone remains at the Pentagon, with the date inscribed on it to memorialize those who died.

I'm grateful that none of my family/friends/aquaintances were injured or killed that day. Very grateful. My heart is heavy for those who will never see their father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, husband, or wife (in some cases both). I feel for the companion animals that went through the ordeal as well.

There were two things in the recovery efforts directly following the attacks that struck me. Watching the search and rescue dogs go through the grueling work that they did (go to Google and do a search on 9/11 rescue dogs). They are the forgotten hero's in my opinion. The other thing that sticks in my mind is a professional trumpeter that was truly at a loss for how to express what he was feeling. He went to the recovery site one night, trumpet in hand, and was allowed to go down into the pit. There he stood, while all the heavy equiptment was rolling and workers were working, just him and his trumpet off to the side and out of the way. Without saying a word, he started playing Taps. All working stopped and it was complete silence. The trumpet glistened from the search lights and illuminated him as if he was an angel. You could have heard a pin drop while he played. It gave me goose bumps and brought tears to my eyes all at the same time. It was one of the most beautiful gifts I had every witnessed someone give. I don't know how the guy did it without loosing it. It was absolutely the finest piece of music I've hear in a long time.

Please keep the families who've lost a loved one in your thoughts today and wish them strength to endure and preservere.
#10 Old 09-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

It was one of the most beautiful gifts I had every witnessed someone give. I don't know how the guy did it without loosing it.

I lost it, just reading this. Thank you for posting it; I had not heard about this.
#11 Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 AM

In honor of Bear a search and resue dog.

More on Bear.

This site always gets me too.

I tried to find the story on the trumpeter but I'm not having any luck. It's on my pc at home I believe. I'll post it later.
#12 Old 09-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for those links, Ruthie.
#13 Old 09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Today at school we had a moment of silence for the people who died on 9/11 and then immediately after we had a moment of silence for the troops in Iraq. I'm glad to have a moment of silence for each one of those separately, but NOT together. I just wanted to say, folks, don't you get it yet? They are UNRELATED.
#14 Old 09-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that I'm able to deal a lot better this September 11th, than last year. Last year at this time, the events finally sunk in and became so real. I'm just at a loss for words now I guess. My thoughts & prayers are with you all.

btw.. thanks for posting those links about Bear, Ruthie..
#15 Old 09-11-2003, 12:23 PM

You're welcome.

Even Jeeves (at www.ask.com) is remembering in his own way with a lighted candle.

Britain's Princess Royal opened a memorial garden in London today dedicated to the victims.

Canine Search and Rescue Tribute

WTC Canine Hero killed in the line of duty by one of his own. This one made me cry.

About Sirius and his memorial .

I would love to see some sort of statue or sculpture specifically for these dogs that lost their lives helping us humans. I hope that they do some type of memorial for them too. Maybe I'll write the Gov of New York and suggest it.
#16 Old 09-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

...I would love to see some sort of statue or sculpture specifically for these dogs that lost their lives helping us humans. I hope that they do some type of memorial for them too. Maybe I'll write the Gov of New York and suggest it.

I would love to see that, too. Remind me not to look at these links while at work!

Having lost our dog last year and having dreamed of our new dog, Filo,

dying a couple nights ago (along with the anniversary), these things are getting to me.
#17 Old 09-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

About Sirius and his memorial .

OK, now I'm crying.
#18 Old 09-11-2003, 12:50 PM

The Honored Deceased (as of 9/11/02)

In New York (Total Dead: 2,802)

Identified - 1,400

Not identified but issued death certificates at the request of victims' families - 1,331

American Airlines Flight 11 (included in the counts above) - 87

United Airlines Flight 175 (included in the counts above) - 60

Missing - 70

Dogs killed WTC attack - 1 (Sirius)

In Washington, D.C.

(Total Dead: 184)

Pentagon - 125

American Airlines Flight 77 victims - 59

In Pennsylvania

(Total: 40) United Airlines Flight 93 victims - 40

Overall Total Dead - 3,026

This table does not include terrorists. There were a total of 19 hijackers: five on each plane, except Flight 93 which had four.
#19 Old 09-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a tribute for someone I knew who perished. Sadly, his sister also lost her fiancee on that day. Both her brother and fiancee worked on the 104th floor, her brother (my acquaintance) in the North Tower, and her fiancee in the South tower.

http://www.cantorfamilies.com/cantor...te.jsp?ID=4150
#20 Old 09-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I still really feel for all the firefighters who lost their lives. They are some of the most selfless people in my opinion. Anyone with that amount of committment and self-sacrifice deserves our utmost respect.

As I have said before about losing a loved one, it's important to never leave angry with someone, as you never know what may happen. Give your loved ones a big hug tonight.
#21 Old 09-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i will never forget how surreal it was that day to be wandering around the mall with my two kids and my husband, doing normal things with other people, while across the continent, thousands of other lives were being ripped apart, devestated, and taken. my deepest condolences to everyone who suffered and continues to suffer as a result of that day. i am so sorry.
#22 Old 09-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

i woke up, made breakfast, and sat down to watch tv before work. i turned it on just in time to see the first tower fall. i didn't know what i was watching at first, but i listened for a couple minutes and then it hit me and i ran and woke up my boyfriend and told him something was going on. we watched the second tower fall, and the attack on the Pentagon, and then i had to leave for work. i was in total shock but walking down the street seeing people's faces in their cars listening to their radios, i realized how bad this really was and wanted to sit down on the sidewalk and cry. i didn't but i wanted to. i got to work and they had the radio turned up loud which is unusual. i was glad it wasn't busy cause i couldn't have kept up, i was standing under one of the ceiling speakers listening, and none of the customers seemed to mind because they were doing the same.

that day went by really slow and it was the quietest i have ever seen a restaurant. nobody spoke for like an hour and you could tell everyone was having a hard time controlling emotions.

today i caught part of a tribute on tv, they showed canadian firefighters giving a silent salute at the time the first tower fell and then blaring the sirens at the time the second fell. i teared up a little but i realize that my feeling sad is nothing compared to what anyone who lost someone there felt and still feels. i feel guilty almost that so many people were directly affected and i wasn't and don't have as much reason to be sad. if that makes sense

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#23 Old 09-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

We saw the whole thing happen from our roof in Queens (aside from the first plane hit) ...the worst day of my life. We thought the attacks would keep coming and get worse and worse and end with a nuclear explosion. Needless to say, heavy drinking commenced at 10am that morning and hasn't stopped since. We didn't go to work for days. Couldn't sleep very well for weeks. Serious anxiety attacks and depression.

Those who were in the vicinity of NYC know there was a smell that went with it. That horrible, specific smell of syntheics/cement/electrical fire all mixed together. It was kind of metallic smelling and I've only ever smelled anything else like it one other time since. It was atrocious. It would waft slowly across the city depending on the wind, and no matter what, if you were downtown, you'd smell it. It was a reminder for you just in case you forgot that the attacks happened, all you'd have to do was wait for the wind to change directions and WHAM, there was that smell.

It's incredible that in the 2 year span since then, our government, in response to the attacks, has bombed 2 countries and all but tore up the Constitution. What a way to solve the problem of aggression! "If we bomb them, that will keep us safe." or some such thing.
#24 Old 09-11-2003, 05:31 PM

I don't have much to add to all of this except thanks to Ruthie for starting this thread. I'll be lighting many candles & leaving them on my porch tonight.

The worst and best thing I can remember from that horrible day two years ago was sitting around waiting to find out if my brother was okay and finally hearing that he was.

All of those awful images from the TV have been in my head all day....
#25 Old 09-11-2003, 05:39 PM

I've contributed quite a bit Flower, but it was actually Spa Girl who started the thread.

I've cried some today again. I feel so much for those people who survived and live on without their loved ones.

I too will be lighting a few candles on the porch in memory of those who left us too early.
#26 Old 09-11-2003, 05:41 PM

Oops! Sorry, Spa Girl! Thank you for starting such a wonderful thread!
#27 Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

LadyFaile, I know exactly what you mean, I feel that way too.

Every time I read these articles, watch something on TV, I get sad although I knew no one directly affected by these events. In some ways I feel I don't have the right to cry when I see these things. I can't imgine what all those people in NY felt. I can't help it though. I feel so bad for them and their families and the fact that this even happened.
#28 Old 09-11-2003, 06:35 PM

The Firefighters who gave their lives in an attempt to save people they didn't even know. Bless them; they are truly angels.
#29 Old 09-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

We should have a moment of silence every day for the people killed in wars. And another one for any major terrorist attack in any country, and a third for murder victims, and another...
#30 Old 09-11-2003, 09:04 PM

And how does that memorialize September 11th? That is what this thread is about, isn't it??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page