woman dies in ER waiting room after being refused treatment - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

LOS ANGELES - A woman who lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of a troubled inner-city hospital died after 911 dispatchers refused to contact paramedics or an ambulance to take her to another facility, newly released tapes of the emergency calls reveal.

full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19207050/?GT1=10056

sorry if this has already been posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

King-Harbor is probably the worst hospital in the Los Angeles area. I don't think a day goes by when there's isn't something about that place in the news. Every day I feel grateful that I don't have to use that hospital, but I do feel sorry for those who DO have to go there.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

That's just unspeakable.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#4 Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Deadly Errors and Politics Betray a Hospital's Promise

WARNING: The above article is not for the faint of heart. It's really heart-rending.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard about this, too. What's worse is if you read about the 911 calls. Then the police came and tried to arrest her for a parole violation. WT...?
#6 Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

WARNING: The above article is not for the faint of heart. It's really heart-rending.

Holy crap! The other stuff in this article is even worse than that lady dying. And you only linked to part 1 in the series.

There are 5 more parts. This sounds like the hospital from HELLLLLLLLLL!
#7 Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 PM

How is this hospital still running?
#8 Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

That's just sick. Have the hospital staff given any sort of reason (read: excuse) as to why they just stood there and let that women die?

I can't even bring myself to read the link Amy put up ... what a craptastic excuse for a hospital.
#9 Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

That's just sick. Have the hospital staff given any sort of reason (read: excuse) as to why they just stood there and let that women die?

I can't even bring myself to read the link Amy put up ... what a craptastic excuse for a hospital.

According to my local news as to why they didn't help her was...

Because she had just been released from the hospital the other day and they considered her a complainer.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#10 Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

OMG, thats horrible. how are they still running
#11 Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

'may god strike you too.'

good going, lady. i would have had worse words for them than that. and i would have called everyone. i would have called anyone i could think of. call the news and say 'the hospital is refusing my _______ service and now she is going to die on the emergency room floor.'

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#12 Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not going to read any of the links, I've seen the trailer of Sicko on youtube and Michael Moore on Oprah yesterday (also on youtube)

I've had enough for now, but it's clear that a change in the U.S medical system would be good.

(though I have serious doubts it will happen)

Imho that's what you get if you put companies interests over human interests
#13 Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Beginner

Speaking of King, This hospital sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel...
#14 Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

This is nothing unusual whatsoever. Stuff like this happens many times a day, every day, in public hospitals all over the us. And patients with medicaid or with no insurance do not get delivered by amublances to private hospitals. They know the priv hosp just won't take such patients. A reporter decided to make news of it one day. Most of the time, reporters don't take any notice any more than hospital personnel take notice, or utility companies take notice when they shut of juice to people with oxygen pumps or whatever. Some of you would like to believe it is the exception to the rule, but it is not.

Note how both the 911 operator and the hospital just said this is someone else's problem to deal with; I've done my job. They both probably thought to themself, well its not my job but there is someone who will take care of the woman. And you, the public, do the same thing, when you pretend, and tell people, that if they just try a little harder and think more positive, they can get help, with health, housing, elect shut off, whatever it is. You are relinquishing reponsibility just the the 911 op and the hospital did. You are no better than they are.
#15 Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

When I had bleeding ulcers I was taken to a private hospital where they took a regular x-ray (as opposed to a cat scan), released me and told me I had nothing serious. I could have bled to death. Finally, after 2 weeks of being unable to move due to severe anemia from bleeding and being unable to eat due to the ulcers, and going down for 140 pounds to 110 pounds, my son condescended to take me to a private gastro-enterologist who said he was willing to take Medicare-Medicaid. If I had had medicaid alone he probably would not have seen me.

After cat scans showed nothing he dropped a camera into my stomach and found dozens of ulcers in stomach and duodenum. If my son had not brought me I probably would have died after a few more weeks. I simply was unable to eat any food and was bleeding internally. I was unable to take care of myself because I had just bled too much and had no more energy. I could barely stand up at all. the second time I called an ambulance and was taken to the hospital, about a week after the first time, they did the same thing. Took another plain x-ray and told me to leave, despite the fact that I had lost 15 pounds since the last time they saw me a week before.
#16 Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

And you, the public, do the same thing, when you pretend, and tell people, that if they just try a little harder and think more positive, they can get help, with health, housing, elect shut off, whatever it is. You are relinquishing reponsibility just the the 911 op and the hospital did. You are no better than they are.

Yes, every single one of us would have done the same thing, right?
#17 Old 06-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

#18 Old 06-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

"California Moves to Revoke King-Harbor license. Hospital Would be Forced to

Close."

California is probably engaing in show business. I've seen this happen before. Eventually everyone "comes to realize" that NO hospital would be the worse thing imaginable, so something has to be done to keep the hospital functioning. They get slapped on the wrist, an orderly get fired, and the hospital is technically closed down but the close down order is "not being enforced" provided the hospital paints 4 rooms and gets a new phone in the emergency room.
#19 Old 06-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

i thought it was interesting to learn the statistic that more people died on Sept 11, 2001 due to hospital error than in the WTC, the Pentagon, and PA combined.

i'll try to find the source and link it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page