Ye Olde Campe Ground - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone know of a 24/7 Renaissance Village where people can sign up and live for a summer, or a year, or whatever as a member of a themed commune?

It seems like it would be fun to live in that sort of setting for a summer - even better if they give like history/philosophy/etc university credit for studies or something.

If not, would any of ya'll ever spend some time in a place like that? (a season or two).

You would take up a trade, work on daily chores, go to village faires and participate in various events, possibly study humanities or classics - it could be like a themed retreat center - professors could be royalty, visitors are peasants - there could be several "lands" that participate in competition near the end of the summer.

it could be complete immersion - no electricity - no running water - no vehicles past a certain point... no jeans or tshirts... would be like a trip back in time... fun yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it sounds like fun. I would definitely consider it if I didn't have so much going on. I love history.

When I was in school we took a field trip to Plymouth, MA. There they have a whole plantation type thing going on to show how the pilgrims lived, but I am not sure if the people are just there during the day, or if it is like what you are describing here. I am interested to see if anyone else knows of anything like this.
#3 Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

That would be fun, but it would take a lot of hard work from a core staff. Not to mention the community would probably have to charge people for their stays.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#4 Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

It sounds fun.

(But then, this from someone who considered joining the SCA until she realised there were no groups close enough. Please don't make fun of me )

No, I don't know of anywhere like that.
#5 Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Reminds me of that movie The Village ( m knight shymalian)

anyway, i don't know of anything like that other than coming to work for the summer at sturbridge village or plymouth plantation ( both here in new england)
#6 Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

there are no full time renn villages that i know of. none can be fully authentic anyway... all faires have to have running water and electricity due to fire and health codes.
#7 Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.burgundytoday.com/histori...s/guedelon.htm

http://www.guedelon.com/

Of the projects I’ve heard of, this living archeology project (Middle Ages) comes closest (but not really close…) to your description.

I imagine to volunteer (if possible) or work there people are required to have sufficient craftsmen’s skills though.
#8 Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

pbs did have a series where people had to live in a certain era for a few months at a time.

year:1628 http://www.pbs.org/wnet/colonialhouse/

year:1867 http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/

year:1883 http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/

year:1900 http://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#9 Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

looking at those links... i would have to say being vegan and period would be extremely difficult.
#10 Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

in the mid 90s one faire corporation (RFCA?) tried a year round faire near Branson. Failed miserably.

many of the sales staff and crafters for faires travel the season and have a winter home.
#11 Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

there are no full time renn villages that i know of. none can be fully authentic anyway... all faires have to have running water and electricity due to fire and health codes.

Thank God, and toilet paper I hope, other than that, I'm in!
#12 Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

troub - your profile doesn't mention where you live ... I know in the US there are places like that but I have no idea where they are ... there's a summer fair in between Denver and Colorado Springs in Colorado but like other posters here have mentioned, most vendors and others there have other jobs they pursue while not working at the fair ... and I don't think the one here has an authentic village life ... I know there's electricity and running water ...

I went there one time and what disturbed me horribly is that they had 3 or 4 elephants tied to ropes to a center stake that were taking people on 'rides' ... I was so disturbed I started yelling at people that they were contributing to those animals deaths ... elephants do not fare well at all in those types of situations ... I'll never go again as long as they have that there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page