Intolerance and hypocrisy - I'm surrounded! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this is completely off-topic, but I need somewhere to vent.

The other day, my mother told me that my cousins refused to join their swim team at school, because there were two gay guys on the team. Now, I thought this was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, not to mention, potentially harmful to these boys. Can you imagine how they would feel if they found out they were keeping people from joining the swim team? As if they don't have enough on their shoulders already.

There's also my cousin, who is pregnant by a man... and not just any man, a black man! Gasp! Can you imagine? She doesn't have a relationship with her parents, she was raised by her grandmother and grandfather - Her grandfather is a racist, and as soon as he finds out she's pg, she'll be banned from his property. But before, you feel too sorry for her, listen to this - She goes on and on about how evil homosexuals are, how what they do is an abomination, blah, blah; Yet, SHE is pregnant out of wedlock, living with her bf, having lots of grand pre-marital sex, with no plans to get married. Unbelievable. She said her sin is "not as evil" in God's eyes, lol.

THEN, there's the guy going down the road in the pick-up truck with all these 'Bless the U.S.A.' bumper stickers everywhere, including one bumper sticker that said, "Clinton's Military Policy - A f*g in every foxhole". I don't think I've ever been so offended. These men are fighting for OUR freedom, and they deserve more than that.

I just don't understand these people. So much hate! Am I the only one surrounded by these kinds of people? Is it just the South, or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, it's definitely in the South... but I wouldn't say it's just the South.

Seriously, my suggestion is to move to a more progressive area. It sure does make it easier to be happy.
#3 Old 08-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Beginner

No, it's deffinately not just the South! I live in south-eastern mass and its the same crap up here.... For example, I work w/a lesbian couple. Everyone else is pretty accepting of them...when they're around. But they talk like crazy about "f*gs" and all those other lovely terms once they are out of hearing range!! And of course it's always guys talking.. and of course lesbians are ok...thats sexy..but gay men?!? That's just freaking disgusting!! Aaarrgghh... these people are so annoying! And the only person I can have a decent conversation w/might be getting fired!! I'll just have to go back to my anti-social self...
#4 Old 08-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, it's DEFINITELY not just the south. I live in a small northern Michigan town full of those type of people. Just the other day in my College Prep. Literature class, the teacher was saying how he liked the shows on Bravo "Boy meets Boy" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". All the girls in the front scream "EEEEEEWWWWW!!!" And one of my best friends is totally anti-gay, due to religious beliefs - what's sadder is, she can be such a lying, cruel person, and I would consider her to tease guys. Screw the parts of the bible that teach love, kindness, honesty, and all that good stuff. I can't wait to get out of this hick town for good.

Why are people so offended by gayness anyway? I mean, it's not like they're forcing you to be gay or anything.
#5 Old 08-31-2003, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

It may not JUST be the South, but it is definitely present here. You have hit on the single thing that infuriates me the most... I despise intolerant people; I absolutely cannot tolerate them. I suppose that makes me hypocritical, but I just don't care. People are people regardless of race or sexuality. Good people are good, bad people are bad, and there are plenty in between. It makes NO difference what category someone belongs to, so why doesn't everyone just drop it and treat people as they deserve to be treated? That does not mean that everything should have to be "P.C." -- political correctness, when taken to a certain degree, can be just as bad as racism. And I absolutely do not believe in "reverse racism." Rasicm is racism is racism. Period. Case closed.

I would try to be *slightly* more eloquent, but it is 2:20 am and I am exhausted. Hopefully you all got the gist of what I was trying (rather unsuccessfully) to say.
#6 Old 08-31-2003, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I know it's definitely present in the south - definitely when I went to Texas. And I totally agree with you. It's not reverse racism. It's racism. And about being PC. And about being exhausted, it's 3AM, It's horrible that people are so ignorant and intolerant.
#7 Old 08-31-2003, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

I know it's definitely present in the south - definitely when I went to Texas. And I totally agree with you. It's not reverse racism. It's racism. And about being PC. And about being exhausted, it's 3AM, It's horrible that people are so ignorant and intolerant.

Well, I'm glad that you understood even though it *is* 3 am.

I'm off to bed... Night!
#8 Old 08-31-2003, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that type of thinking exists in most places. Here (in BC) it isn't tolerated to openly express those type of views but if you dig under the surface, there are still people who think that way and if given the chance would act the same way.
#9 Old 08-31-2003, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... I wish that people wouldn't tolerate the open expression of that kind of prejudiced feeling here in the South, but unfortunately...

I also attend an Episcopalian church, so of course everyone is up in arms about the gay bishop... It doesn't MATTER what one's sexual orientation is!! Gaaahhhh!!!
#10 Old 08-31-2003, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, here it's same as what Tri said, it's not encouraged to express it openly, but dig a little deeper, and ugliness appears. Luckily for me, most of my friends are pretty accepting, the worst they do is jokes... and also luckily I happen to know which people they should not say these jokes around, so I just tell them to quit it. But I know that my level of tolerance is not common around here and due mostly to my lengthy stay at university...
#11 Old 08-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

I was on a road trip from Georgia to MA, and on the way home to MA while we were driving through a somewhat rural area of South Carolina there was a billboard that said "Noone was ever assaulted for being straight". Whaa??! I had never seen a billboard like that before. I kept wondering if I had misread it or interpreted it incorrectly. I'm not trying to be negative about the South or anything, but it really took me by surprise.
#12 Old 08-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Banned

hmm... might that not have been an *anti*-homophobia billboard?
#13 Old 09-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post

hmm... might that not have been an *anti*-homophobia billboard?

It may very well have been. That's why I had wondered if I had misinterpreted it.
#14 Old 09-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Manchester in England has what is called 'The Gay Village', its a road (Canal Street) that has bars and pubs on it that are considered 'gay' places to go. (Does that make sense?) But 'straight' people are welcome.

There is the odd group of 'lads' that shout silly stuff at them but thats all I know of.

We just had Europride here in Manchester and we have the mardi gras(sp?)

'Inter-race' relationships aew very common too, and very rarely frowned upon.
#15 Old 09-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

I was on a road trip from Georgia to MA, and on the way home to MA while we were driving through a somewhat rural area of South Carolina there was a billboard that said "Noone was ever assaulted for being straight". Whaa??! I had never seen a billboard like that before. I kept wondering if I had misread it or interpreted it incorrectly. I'm not trying to be negative about the South or anything, but it really took me by surprise.

sounds like a threat to me.
#16 Old 09-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by majake View Post

sounds like a threat to me.

Hmm... I think that it sounds more like anti-homophobia to me... I really don't think that a threatening billboard would be tolerated, *even* in the South.

At least I certainly hope that it wouldn't be...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page