Please help me with a main dish for a BBQ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

So my girlfriends parents are coming over for a lunch/bbq this Sunday. THey are very much meat and potatoe type people so I am havinga hard time thinking up a good main dish for them.

I am making mashed potatoes, grilled veggies/corn, rice pilaf, and I need a main dish to go along with this. Sadly I don't have a lot of experience cooking a main dish for a larger(6-7) person BBQ. I don't think they like Bocca and mushrooms are also out of the question.

If anyone has some suggestions that would be GRRRRRRRREAT. It doesn't HAVE to be made on a grill since I will also be grilling veggies and that will take up a lot of room.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I feel weird posting this here, but here goes. You could buy a few slabs of ribs and slow cook them @ 250 for two hours put the sauce on in the last 15 minutes, and throw on the veggies at the end.
#3 Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Jerk Tofu!! Everyone loves my Jerk Tofu. I made 2 lbs of it for my Luau last night and there were 2 pieces left at the end of the night. I was the only vegetarian present.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

Well, I feel weird posting this here, but here goes. You could buy a few slabs of ribs and slow cook them @ 250 for two hours put the sauce on in the last 15 minutes, and throw on the veggies at the end.

Mikey - I just sent you by PM a recipe for a mock meatloaf that my family loves. It goes great with mashed potatoes! It may be something you could try.

Gardenburger makes very good mock "ribs" that you could serve on buns with cole slaw and corn. (I'd probably skip the potatoes).

Sunshine burgers are another version of veggie burgers that are excellent - better than Boca.

If you are not vegan, there are some good chick*n patties that you could put on the grill and serve on buns.

Good luck!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Hee, I know.

Problem is my peeps will never eat any of my vegetarian foods except only a few, I like to make my guests happy, I'm probably a people pleaser in that way.
#6 Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM

they won't notice a difference with the chik patties.

those things are amazing. i need to tell my mom to get some more dang.
#7 Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

You could make veggie kabobs. There was a similar thread not too long ago.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

ummm?
#9 Old 05-17-2007, 06:21 AM

no doubt

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Sloppy Janes!

There is a fabulous recipe for them in La Dolce Vegan, even meat eaters would like them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page