airport security just to get into my school!!! ugh, i'm soo mad!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Omg! I?m sooo mad! I have to go through air-port security just to get into school now. On Friday, there was this kid, he?s 17, he has problems, but he?s really not a bad guy. Anyway, he owed some money to this other guy, whose 18 (both go 2 my school) and couldn?t pay him, so he stole his uncles gun and gave it to him. The mother called the school saying that he was missing, with a gun. So they caught him fishing a few miles away, but in the meantime, the school was total chaos. It wasn?t on the news, but people were texting people and rumors flew, the school went into a code orange lockdown, and 80% of the students parents came to get them(including my mom in 1st period). Now today I don?t have school cause there was a bomb threat written on one of the bathroom stalls. I mean, come on, kids talk all the time about writing something like that in the bathroom cause they know it?ll get them outta school, today was just a perfect day to do it. So, anyway, I just saw on the news that we have to go through metal detectors, and can?t have book bags, and purses and things like that have to be checked, starting tomorrow. I mean, yea, yea, our safety, but I mean, come on! I?m just sooo mad! I don?t live in a bad area. It really bites! A few months ago I saw a movie and the girl had to go through that every morning to get into school, and I thought, ?boy, thank God I don?t have to do that, it must be terrible.? And now look, I?m so angry I could cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like they are taking every precaution to keep you safe. It may be inconvenient for you, but if one of those "threats" were actually true? Being dead is a whole lot more inconvenient.

I'd say keep going to school regardless of the inconveniences that security may cause; your spelling and punctuation could use a refresher course.
#3 Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM

yea, i coppied and pasted from microsoft, don't know why it changes all the " in to ? lol!
#4 Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

It's an extra few minutes of your time to protect against a tragedy. Take the extra time to contemplate character growth in patience, or contemplate just why citizens need to carry firearms in the first place.
#5 Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you have to go through that. I'm in school too, but nothing like that has ever happened here. I suppose it is just to keep you safe, and maybe things will settle down. In the meantime, I suppose you could enjoy a free day off school..? :\\
#6 Old 05-15-2007, 03:26 PM

omg! it was horrible today! wayy worse than i imagined. we had to wait a half hour in a line before we could even get in the school, the line was like wrapping around the parking lot. they checked through purses and you had to empty your pockets. and the metal detectors weren't the walk-thru ones, you had to stand with your arms spred while they searched you with handheld ones. people who had belly-button peirceings had to lift their shirts to show thats all it was, on girl had a jean skirt and it was going off, so they had to put the metal detector up her skirt to make sure that there wasn't anything there. girls who had wire bras actually had to have someone check by like, feeling underneath their bra, and there were only male cops doing all this.

then in school, we had homerooms held, and only 10 minutes of 1st period, and when you went to the lav, one of the hall moniters was sitting at a table outside the bathrooms and you had to sign in, and once you got inside there was a female cop standing at the far side of the bathroom. it's horrible. not an airport but a prison.
#7 Old 05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

that pretty much sucks.

i don't really buy the argument, "well, it's making you safer so, all's well that ends well." first, i don't agree that this really makes anyone safer. second, IMO, civil rights are more important than palliative measures of "safety". this basically comes down to "unreasonable search and seizure".
#8 Old 05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered by Tofu View Post

omg! it was horrible today! wayy worse than i imagined. we had to wait a half hour in a line before we could even get in the school, the line was like wrapping around the parking lot. they checked through purses and you had to empty your pockets. and the metal detectors weren't the walk-thru ones, you had to stand with your arms spred while they searched you with handheld ones. people who had belly-button peirceings had to lift their shirts to show thats all it was, on girl had a jean skirt and it was going off, so they had to put the metal detector up her skirt to make sure that there wasn't anything there. girls who had wire bras actually had to have someone check by like, feeling underneath their bra, and there were only male cops doing all this.

then in school, we had homerooms held, and only 10 minutes of 1st period, and when you went to the lav, one of the hall moniters was sitting at a table outside the bathrooms and you had to sign in, and once you got inside there was a female cop standing at the far side of the bathroom. it's horrible. not an airport but a prison.

I do think that is going too far. They should have an area curtained off or something where students can feel more comfortable removing articles of clothing, and they should have at least one female security cop. I'm actually rather surprised they didn't have a woman there, what with the climate on sexual harrassment in schools by staff.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I agree with catswym.

It sounds a knee jerk reaction to the current situation of hypersensitivity to threats.

I really dislike reactionary measures. People tend to act the way you treat them. You treat people like criminals who are going to do something unless you don't keep your eye on them, and that's exactly what you get. I think this also helps promote the mentality that's it's okay to give up some liberty for a little false believe in security.

I believe everything.
#10 Old 05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish someone would have stood inside the bathrooms at my highschool. Maybe then the idiots wouldn't have filled them with smoke, and those of us who actually wanted to use the restroom, could.
#11 Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Wow, that sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I'm sorry that you have to go through all that junk just to get into school.
#12 Old 05-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Hum..

Well, I do live in a bad area. Maybe if someone cared about the kids here, alot less of deaths and violence would have happened over the past couple of years.

It's not that horrible to have people wanting you safe.

BTW, troub- Cops DO stand outside our bathrooms, and they're still filled with smoke. They litterally..just stand there.
#13 Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered by Tofu View Post

Oh no. Absolutely NOT! This is completely unacceptable. There is no reason for the "security staff" to be "feeling underneath their bra". Especially males. No reason. Uh-uh. Something needs to be done about this.

Ensuring children and young adults are safe at school is great. Sexually harassing them is different.

Quote from SkyLark "They should have an area curtained off or something where students can feel more comfortable removing articles of clothing.."

NO CHILD should have to take of any article of clothing at school in front of anyone.

What are the parents thinking by allowing this?

R
#14 Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYet View Post

Quote from SkyLark "They should have an area curtained off or something where students can feel more comfortable removing articles of clothing.."

NO CHILD should have to take of any article of clothing at school in front of anyone.

What are the parents thinking by allowing this?

R

I was referring to the girl who was asked to lift her shirt above her belly button. While I realize lots of teenage girls have battles with their parents over wanting to show their midsections, this is different.

I can think of some situations in which a child could legitimately be asked to remove an article of clothing at school, but they are few. And it should be with a minimum number of people around.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I was referring to the girl who was asked to lift her shirt above her belly button. While I realize lots of teenage girls have battles with their parents over wanting to show their midsections, this is different.

As a girl with some serious prude-like qualities thinking of having to lift my shirt to "prove" there is a piercing or to have someone "feel" my under-wire bra positively disgusts me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I can think of some situations in which a child could legitimately be asked to remove an article of clothing at school, but they are few. And it should be with a minimum number of people around.

Please tell me. I genuinely can't think of any. Yes, someone with an offensive message or someone who is violating dress code could go change... But undressing in front of someone? Seriously, why? If I remember correctly your job has something to so with public schools. Maybe you know something I don't. Because as of right now I am embarrassed and hurting for the kids who had to go through that. I understand metal detectors and increased security, especially after a threat but this isn't the right way to go about it.

R
#16 Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYet View Post

As a girl with some serious prude-like qualities thinking of having to lift my shirt to "prove" there is a piercing or to have someone "feel" my under-wire bra positively disgusts me.

Trust me, the thought doesn't appeal to me, either.

Quote:
Please tell me. I genuinely can't think of any. Yes, someone with an offensive message or someone who is violating dress code could go change... But undressing in front of someone? Seriously, why? If I remember correctly your job has something to so with public schools. Maybe you know something I don't. Because as of right now I am embarrassed and hurting for the kids who had to go through that. I understand metal detectors and increased security, especially after a threat but this isn't the right way to go about it.

R

Heh, I don't work for any public schools, but I frequently work at several because I am a newspaper reporter. None of the schools on my beat have metal detectors (yet), but if there were a scare like this, some of them would probably take measures like this at least temporarily.

I was thinking of a student pulling clothing back to show the school nurse a bruise, whether from a fight or from an abusive home situation. There are other medical situations in which a student might need to take off some clothing to provide the school nurse with better access, but this of course should be done with as few people around as possible to retain the student's dignity.

If a school has legitimate reason to believe students may try to sneak weapons into the school, then I think it is reasonable to institute "airport security" until the threat has dissipated. Now, by "legitimate reason," I mean school administrators have overheard/seen students talking about bringing weapons to school in the near future, that sort of thing. In that case, it may well be suitable to set up a room where gender-apropriate security people can insure students are not hiding things under their clothes. It shouldn't be done in front of other studentsI can't imagine the humiliation of having a metal detector wand stuck up between my legs in front of my peers. That's better done with delicacy in private.

#17 Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you talked with your parents about this? Your friends' parents? It certainly does seem that things have gone a bit too far to me, and it's time to call in the grown-ups and get them on the phone to the principal asking "What on earth are you doing?" Minimally, there should have been female security around. It sounds like there should also have been a lot more communication about the process.
#18 Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Well if my child were going to your school I would be happy they are taking threats seriously, happy they are taking the fact that someone brought a gun into school seriously.

it may be inconvenient, but is it inconvenient to stop something bad from happening?

I think threats need to be taken seriously and if this is what it takes then so be it.

It is not sexual harrassment to be checked by a metal detector nor is it sexual harassment to check if it is indeed a wire bra setting it off as opposed to a gun.
#19 Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoluvr View Post

Well if my child were going to your school I would be happy they are taking threats seriously, happy they are taking the fact that someone brought a gun into school seriously.

it may be inconvenient, but is it inconvenient to stop something bad from happening?

I think threats need to be taken seriously and if this is what it takes then so be it.

It is not sexual harrassment to be checked by a metal detector nor is it sexual harassment to check if it is indeed a wire bra setting it off as opposed to a gun.

but will these measures actually help? now someone can just take a gun and wait outside the school.

and why isn't it sexual harassment to have someone feeling your bra against your will?
#20 Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

While I think the threats should be taken seriously, I have to say this is kind of ridiculous.

The quote attributed to Franklin comes to mind, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I believe everything.
#21 Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Okay, I must take back what I said. All male cops "feeling" for weapons? That's no good. I would suggest talking to your parents, or any teachers willing to help.
#22 Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

How offended I was about being felt up for weapons would directly relate to the attractiveness of the officer involved.

Kidding....
#23 Old 05-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I still think people are overreacting to guns in school. For example here's a pdf for leading causes of death in the US in 2003.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr55/nvsr55_10.pdf

On page 17, it starts with deaths by age. Ages 10-14 there were 4,056, 202 from homicide (this includes all homicide, and not just school shootings, I'm sure school shootings are far far less). Ages 15-19, 13,595 total, with 1,938 from homicide (again, more than just from school shootings), and as a note, 1,487 from suicide and 6,755 from accidents (I'm sure this includes auto accidents, but I haven't verified that).

I would suspect more children die in auto accidents than do from school shootings, but I don't see the same kind of reaction to that.

The time and effort spent on this kind of thing is more than should be appropriated to it. There are so many more things that could be done to save lives. One being proactive steps, rather than the current reactionary approaches as well as treating young people as if they have few or no rights, or as criminals already.

I believe everything.
#24 Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

and why isn't it sexual harassment to have someone feeling your bra against your will?

because sexual harassment is intended to be sexual in nature.......unwanted sexual advances to an unwilling recipient.

This is police doing their job, frisking someone to determine if the metal detector is going off because they have a gun concealed or for some other reason.

there is nothing sexual about it.

and yes someone could just wait outside, but they have a far less chance of doing as much damage as they could INSIDE with a gun in a classroom,
#25 Old 05-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:

because sexual harassment is intended to be sexual in nature.......unwanted sexual advances to an unwilling recipient.

This is police doing their job, frisking someone to determine if the metal detector is going off because they have a gun concealed or for some other reason.

there is nothing sexual about it.

and yes someone could just wait outside, but they have a far less chance of doing as much damage as they could INSIDE with a gun in a classroom,

Hello?? Over hear if someone touches a minor anywhere without their permission (that includes telling them they have no choice which looks like what it going on in this school) said minor is allowed to press charges. I know and I have.
#26 Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i think the students should band together and wear as much metal possible in their clothing and underwear. put metal everywhere and it will really mess up the system lol. besides being funny, it would force the powers that be to reconsider the methods they are utilizing
#27 Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

Hello?? Over hear if someone touches a minor anywhere without their permission (that includes telling them they have no choice which looks like what it going on in this school) said minor is allowed to press charges. I know and I have.

They can always opt out of school entirely

seriously though, if the students have a big problem with how they are being treated i would think the parents would be involved in a big way. if something inappropriate is going on.

i honestly just dont see the big issue with making sure everyone is safe, especially when there have been threats. how does the school know if a threat will be carried out? what else can they do to protect the students? can they even do much of anything?
#28 Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They can always opt out of school entirely

ummm, not really since minors under 16 are required to go to school.

and second, that's not really a reasonable solution despite the legal implications.

Quote:

i honestly just dont see the big issue with making sure everyone is safe, especially when there have been threats. how does the school know if a threat will be carried out? what else can they do to protect the students? can they even do much of anything?

partly because this doens't make "everyone safe", or even come close.

and second, most people don't want to live in a police state. even if it would make them safer. it would seem the writers of the constitution sure didn't.
#29 Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Wow. Feeling up young girl's bras is just so not right.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#30 Old 05-17-2007, 08:59 AM