Zebra meat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Beginner

i saw this guy on tv eating raw zebra meat. how would you not get sick from eating that?

it was unbelievable. i dont know what this show was, but it was on animal planet i think. he was just some guy trekking on a safari, then he stumbles upon a zebra carcass. he goes on to say he thinks its 5 hours old and that lions have already eaten most of the meat. then he pulled out a knife and sliced a piece of skin off and eats the meat from it. WOW. he then started nibbling from the carcass itself, on the bones and whatnot. couldnt he get sick?

anyway. do you guys agree with eating animals like in places such as africa? i dont know how many resources they have in some parts of africa, but it seems scarce for some folks there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2007, 04:06 PM

I think that guy was in the sun for too long.
#3 Old 05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say that that's pretty much morally unobjectionable. I mean, he wasn't paying the lions for having killed the zebra for him. It is pretty stomach-turning, though.

I assume that zebra is basically horse, as far as the meat goes.
#4 Old 05-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The show is Man vs. Wild and it's on the Discovery Channel. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/ma...manvswild.html

Quote:
Bear Grylls is a seasoned adventurer who served with the Special Air Service, a special forces unit of the British army, where he was trained as a survival expert. His experiences include climbing Mount Everest, crossing the freezing North Atlantic Ocean in a small, open boat and climbing a Himalayan peak described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'. He has been places and done things that would defeat most normal people. But now, he is up against something completely different.

In each episode of Man vs. Wild Bear strands himself in popular wilderness destinations where tourists often find themselves lost or in danger. As he finds his way back to civilization, he demonstrates local survival techniques, including escaping quicksand in the Moab Desert, navigating dangerous jungle rivers in Costa Rica, crossing ravines in the Alps and surviving sharks off Hawaii.

#5 Old 05-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I figured it was Bear Grylls. Crazy guy.

I'm hoping that my interest in the uses of plants will pay off when I get stranded in the savanna. I'd rather not eat animals, regardless of how they are killed.
#6 Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

thats weird, but not unbelievable. humans will eat anything they can kill
#7 Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The lions killed it, though. I still wouldn't eat it.
#8 Old 05-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Zebra? That's messed up.
#9 Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 PM

i saw that episode too... man it was messed.

i also saw one where he boomerranged a rabbit in the head so he could eat.

i will never watch that show again.
#10 Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxshawnxx View Post

i also saw one where he boomerranged a rabbit in the head so he could eat.

Too much time in the sun, has to be.
#11 Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It is a funny show. As an avid outdoor enthusiast I can tell you that he does A LOT of things that you should NEVER do when you area lost in the wild. He takes a lot of risks that would put your life in danger. When you are lost in the wilds you have to minimize every risk possible to stay alive for a rescue team to find you. Things like taking off in the dark and running from a bear, jumping off a 50 foot cliff into water...all ridiculous.

That being said if I am ever lost in the wild and need to eat to live everything is fair game. If I can't find edible plants to sustain me and give me the energy to survive I would kill a rabbit or catch a fish to stay alive.
#12 Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Beginner

#13 Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

WOW, someone who had the guts to be a true omnivore. I see nothing morally wrong with this. Is it bad for you?...I guess this depends on if you think people are omnivores or herbivores.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page