Ebola-like virus killing off fish in the Great Lakes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
A deadly Ebola-like virus is killing fish of all types in the Great Lakes, a development some scientists fear could trigger disaster for the USA's freshwater fish.

Because of a lack of genetic resistance to viral hemorrhagic septicemia, fish populations could be damaged in the same way the smallpox virus struck Native Americans and Dutch elm disease decimated elm trees, says Jim Winton, chief of fish health at the U.S. Geological Survey in Seattle.

The disease has been found in Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Niagara River and an inland lake in New York. The aggressive virus, which causes fish to hemorrhage, was unexpectedly found in the Great Lakes in 2005. Last year, it resulted in large fish kills that struck at least 20 species. Scientists are watching to see whether the disease returns in mid-May when water in the lakes warms to temperatures at which the virus attacks.

Link to the story at USA Today:

http://usatoday.com/news/nation/2007...rus-fish_N.htm

The virus has been around awhile, apparently, but this it's news to me. Of course, the experts all say that it "poses no threat to humans". Hm. Still creepy.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2007, 05:19 PM

I agree. Still sounds creepy.
#3 Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Hemorrhagic septicemia just strikes fish weakened by something else. It's blood poisoning basically.
#4 Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The way humanity treats the waterways as one big toilet - I'm not surprised.

At least lake Michigan/Superior wasn't affected. . . yet.
#5 Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Alright Andy, what are you doing out of school? Isn't this finals time or something?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Some one's bittin' my style. Honest.

And my students don't take their finals until the 16th.

ebola
#7 Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

when i saw this i was like gnome is poisoning fish?!

this is creepy. something similar is happening here - squirrels are dying of the plague.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page