Flushing toilet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Beginner

If it's yellow let it mellow..If it's brown flush it down...Do you do this? We do to save water but some people who come over think it's gross..any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I grew up doing that when I lived in a rural area. noone thought it was odd.
#3 Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could do that, but I have OCD or something like it--I physically gag when I see "gross" things, and that includes urine. So I have to flush to keep my bathroom looking clean.

My grandparents do that. They're the only people I know that do, but it's not exactly a popular topic of conversation. If I could physically do it, I'd still flush when I had company over, because it's not all that pleasant to see the evidence of someone else's bathroom use.
#4 Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I try to do this, but I will flush if it starts to smell, or if company is coming over.

You can save water by taking a plastic jug, cutting the top off, putting some rocks in the bottom to weight it down, then place it in your tank, letting it fill with water. Then that much water is "saved" every time you flush.
#5 Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Arizona, so yes, I do this.
#6 Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Holy s***. No pun, I'm actually surprised. I thought everyone flushed the toilet whenever they used it. Sounds pretty gross to me that some people don't. Maybe it's a cultural thing... Please don't ever do it if you come to Brazil or everyone will think you have no manners.
#7 Old 04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

Holy s***. No pun, I'm actually surprised. I thought everyone flushed the toilet whenever they used it. Sounds pretty gross to me that some people don't. Maybe it's a cultural thing... Please don't ever do it if you come to Brazil or everyone will think you have no manners.

Isabelle, while we're on the topic... Do people in Brazil throw their soiled toilet paper in the trash instead of the toilet? The friend I mentioned before who adopted kids from Brazil is trying to break them of that.

Personally, I think having soiled toilet paper in the garbage is much grosser than pee in the toilet water, although they both wig me out.
#8 Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are there water shortages in Brazil?
#9 Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to always flush if I'm at someones' house or public places.

At home, I sometimes don't flush. I live alone so it's not bothering anyone.

I guess it might be more of an issue to people living in water shortage areas, which VT is not.
#10 Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Beginner

In Beijing some colleges are required to throw soiled toilet paper in trash cans b/c their sewer systems are over loaded.
#11 Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate looking at other peoples wee, i swear im the only person who drinks enough water to make it clear. yellow wee = gag.

if everyone in my house starts bothering to drink then i'll let them not flush!

i only dont when its late night, i wee a lot and continuous flushing when others asleep = annoying on others, so just do it before i go to bed

why the hell dont people in public places flush though, is it SO hard to use a handle?! there are taps for a reason use them. blergh
#12 Old 04-19-2007, 12:28 PM

I flush for both. The only time I leave urine is in the middle of the night because our toilets flush very loudly and I don't want to wake my family up. The only time I will flush in the night is when it's a number 2 which means I get yelled at in the morning for waking them up.
#13 Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I do.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#14 Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

Isabelle, while we're on the topic... Do people in Brazil throw their soiled toilet paper in the trash instead of the toilet? The friend I mentioned before who adopted kids from Brazil is trying to break them of that.

Personally, I think having soiled toilet paper in the garbage is much grosser than pee in the toilet water, although they both wig me out.

It's not really a general custom, but it's true that some people do that. Not throwing the toilet paper in the toilet is usually recommended in those places with low quality sewer pipes that get blocked pretty easily from it.
#15 Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not really a general custom, but it's true that some people do that. Not throwing the toilet paper in the toilet is usually recommended in those places with low quality sewer pipes that get blocked pretty easily from it.

I see. I hadn't thought about the pipes getting blocked. That makes sense.
#16 Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Are there water shortages in Brazil?

Not in my area. Also, we have water-saving devices on our toilets here at home.
#17 Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't, but we have one of those toilets with a different flush for urine that uses less water. That's the furthest my cleaning-obsessed mother will stretch to
#18 Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I do it if Allen is over and we both have to pee, I'll just tell him not to flush otherwise it just seems silly. Urine doesn't really bother me.

I've encountered horrendous things in public bathrooms so the urine of my family isn't a very big deal.
#19 Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I've encountered horrendous things in public bathrooms so the urine of my family isn't a very big deal.

Haha. True.
#20 Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

When I'm in someone else's house, I go by the principle "if it's yellow, fill the toothbrushing mug".

Seriously though, ecological points noted but I think it's gross not to flush.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#21 Old 04-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not in my area. Also, we have water-saving devices on our toilets here at home.

It might not seem as "gross" to you and other Brazilians if the alternative was running out of water.
#22 Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Serious NO NO in our house if someone forgets to flush (namely my little guys). I hunt them down and drag them back in there.
#23 Old 04-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't do that.... A serious hardwater stain from hell makes a ring that even CLR will not remove.
#24 Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate those CLR commercials. That guy bothers me.
#25 Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't flush if I just pee in a public toilets... even though I wash my hands afterwards, I just don't like the thought of touching the handle that everyone else touched with their post-pooping-fingers.

At home I usually flush all the time, because I have dogs that get thirsty.
#26 Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM

We never flush overnight or in the mornings until we're both out of bed because our toilet is an ensuite one and it wakes the other person up when you flush. Up until recently we flushed everytime in the toilets in the rest of the house because we have a half-flush and a full-flush button anyway which conserves water. But because of the water restrictions imposed in Australia recently we've started to change our ways and flush less often only, mostly just on the really "big jobs"

We found that we had to put a sign on the toilet door warning guests that the toilet may or may not be flushed though, because it freaks some people out a bit to see a toilet unflushed when they go to use it.

ETA: I think I'll add another one of these ---> just because I can.
#27 Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantih View Post

I don't, but we have one of those toilets with a different flush for urine that uses less water. That's the furthest my cleaning-obsessed mother will stretch to

i've never heard of that. how cool.
#28 Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I don't flush if I just pee in a public toilets... even though I wash my hands afterwards, I just don't like the thought of touching the handle that everyone else touched with their post-pooping-fingers.

I flush public toilets with my foot. hope that doesn't annoy anyone. i flush my own toilet with a bit of tissue in my hand lol. i also wash my hands 10-15 times a day.
#29 Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I flush public toilets with my foot. hope that doesn't annoy anyone. i flush my own toilet with a bit of tissue in my hand lol. i also wash my hands 10-15 times a day.

Gaya are you me?? LOL i flush with my feet too in public, i also never touch the sink after i wash my hands i let the water run til i can get a paper towel to cover the handle and turn it off. LOL

my hands are sooooo cracked from washing them compulsively.
#30 Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

oh I never answered the OP...........

yes I flush every time.........the only time i dont is if hubby or one of the kids has to pee right after me.

but i am a compulsive flusher. we have hard water too, and plus i think it gets stinky if you dont flush.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page