Blood Drive - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a blood drive going on at my school on Monday, and I was wondering, what foods would you recomend to eat before I give my blood away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure about food, but make sure you are well hydrated.
#3 Old 04-13-2007, 03:41 AM

I've heard iron-rich foods suggested before, but I'm not sure that you can "bulk up" like that on iron in just a few days. I think that you eat, period, is probably the most important.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#4 Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I've heard iron-rich foods suggested before, but I'm not sure that you can "bulk up" like that on iron in just a few days. I think that you eat, period, is probably the most important.

I have given blood once as a lacto-ovo and twice as a vegan* and my iron has been fine. I just eat plenty the night before and throughout the day I go there.

*I think...my memory is bad. Maybe x2 as a l/o and once as a vegan?
#5 Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not a really a question of what to eat but rather that you eat and stay hydrated. The Red Cross usually suggests you eat something before you donate (if it's in the morning make sure you eat breakfast, if it's later in the day have a small snack beforehand). But again they key is to drink lots and lots of water a few days before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page