Do you close the lid when you flush? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

My FIL had been here for a week. He is one of those men who always leaves the seat up after a wee. And then flushes. I am spoiled because both my dad and my husband put the seat down and close the lid. Every time my FIL comes he leaves the whole she-bang up and flushes and germs fly out everywhere. I have to disinfect our toothbrushes with peroxide and tea tree oil every time he goes to the loo. You cannot make him put the lid down---in 36 years of marriage my MIL never managed to make him and now that she is dead he just does whatever he wants.

So I ask you---do you find it unsanitary to flush without the lid down?

I think I just have problems with my FIL. But the lid up thing really gets me. And the fact that he refuses to wear glasses and can't see a damn thing and misses the toilet half the time. I have been cleaning up wee all week.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Beginner

I tend to put the lid down because I don't flush after a pee so I can save huge amounts of water and money.

You have my sympathy with your partners badly aimed urination. Maybe you can wind him up and tell him "If you don't want to wear your glasses why not sit down like a girl?". hehehe
#3 Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband DOES sit down "like a girl" which is why he never makes a mess. But his father (my FIL) used to always be horrible to him and call him a sissy or a girl because he didn't stand up and do it "like a man"---well I wish my FIL wouldn't do it like a man because he sprays everywhere.

I can relax now as my FIL has just left for Gatwick and we will not have to see him for another year. The benefits of living in another country.

He STILL calls my husband a girl and a sissy---but mostly for not eating meat like a man. Gotta love family.

#4 Old 04-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I know it's over for now, but perhaps next time.. put the toothbrushes away somewhere during the day, like a drawer or a little bag. I don't have this problem, our toilet is separate, not in the bathroom. But the missing the bowl issue, I get upset when my 5 yo misses, I can't imagine a grown man missing and not feeling embarrassed and at least trying to clean it up.
#5 Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

I know it's over for now, but perhaps next time.. put the toothbrushes away somewhere during the day, like a drawer or a little bag. I don't have this problem, our toilet is separate, not in the bathroom. But the missing the bowl issue, I get upset when my 5 yo misses, I can't imagine a grown man missing and not feeling embarrassed and at least trying to clean it up.

Good idea---I don't know why I didn't think of moving the brushes. His visits just make us really stressed.

And as to why he's not embarrassed or doesn't try to clean it up----"that's women's work." How my husband turned out so good I'll never know.

#6 Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

He sounds horrible, I'm sorry you have to put up with him.
#7 Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I put the lid down. I'm lucky in that both my husband and son are great with their 'aim' and never leave the seat up! My toothbrushes are in the medicine cabinet.
#8 Old 04-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I put the lid down. It makes me feel better about the icky water particles flying through the air to my toothbrush.

My bf is good about it too... so much so that I didn't realize how disgusting the toilet was when you lift the lid and the seat (cause I never do, I just clean "my part" lol) until the landlord came over to fix the shower, and apparently peed, and flushed, and left the lid up. I was so embarrassed.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I started to put the lid down back in 1998 not because for reasons of hygiene but because I had just adopted two small kittens and I was terrified that they'd try to climb in out of curiosity, and drown (I was trying to kitten-proof my apartment every which way possible). Then, years later, my sister told me about germs flying out when you flush, so even though my cats have never shown any interest in climbing into the toilet, I continue to put the lid down.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I always put the lid down. To me, it just looks better. And of course it's a lot cleaner.
#11 Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

It's just not that hard to aim. Seriously.

I keep my toothbrush in a drawer. Not that it matters since it is around a physical wall from the toilet.
#12 Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Skylark had a thread a few months back that talked about the "aerosol" of droplets and germs that is spread every time you flush, seat up or seat down.

I told myself that I would take my toothbrushes out of the bathroom, but I haven't gotten around to doing that. There are machines that disinfect your toothbrushes with utltra-violet light, meanwhile enclosing them in a cabinet.

But I think generally putting them in a plastic bag or other enclosure would be a good solution. Or possibly keeping them in another room, like in the kitchen.
#13 Old 04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I have Always put the lid down. It looks nicer and applies to my whole thing about metaphors, "It's just all gone to ***t", "All down the drain", "Flushed away"... I'm weird on Feng Shui and metaphors. But my Fiance never ever puts it down. I just put it down whenever I see it up. It bothers me and though we've talked about it- he's not going to change. It's funny though, that every other roommate I've ever had, mostly men, don't mind when I ask them to do this and seem to keep up the habit.
#14 Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Skylark had a thread a few months back that talked about the "aerosol" of droplets and germs that is spread every time you flush, seat up or seat down.

I don't get why this is such a bad thing? A lot of people don't put the toilet seats down yet we don't have legions of sick people in hospital or staying home from work from god knows what. Surely this level of fastidiousness is slightly ridiculous considering how much other stuff we do that is considerably more germ ridden. Plus to fill your life with such minor problems surely can't be good for relaxing and stress free living, we have enough big problems that effect our life in much bigger ways..
#15 Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually put the lid down but there's no specific reason for that related to cleanliness.

When I visit other people's houses I usually don't put the lid down because I urinate in their sink.

Disclaimer: this post may have some parts that aren't true.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

I don't get why this is such a bad thing? A lot of people don't put the toilet seats down yet we don't have legions of sick people in hospital or staying home from work from god knows what. Surely this level of fastidiousness is slightly ridiculous considering how much other stuff we do that is considerably more germ ridden. Plus to fill your life with such minor problems surely can't be good for relaxing and stress free living, we have enough big problems that effect our life in much bigger ways..

I agree compleatly. I think half the problem we have in this country/world is people being over cautious with cleanliness, people survived for hundreds of years without the obsessive hygiene regulations and stuff we have now. Admitadly there was a higher risk of disease and dying younger etc but the worlds over populated as it is. I wish people would stop being so obsessed with germs and bacteria and MRSA or whatever. Everyones got to die sometime and hopefully everyone has some level or immunity. You can't spend life living in a plastic bubble.

Though saying all that i have a very obsessive thing about toilet seats being down, that however has to do with my need to be rich rather than my caring about hygiene.
#17 Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

We have had at least one experiment about the germs in the "spray."

I'd like to see an experiment done about how often people get sick from this.

I suppose you'd have to have a "control" group and an experimental group that would keep their toothbrushes outside the bathroom, or whatever.
#18 Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I leave the toilet seat open. as far as i know everyone does too.

In the last year I have had:

one cold

one flu thing that was going round and i was the only person in the house to get it

so what does that say...

I agree with Hippo, its all overcautious!
#19 Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

#1 yes. #2 no. Have to make sure it all goes down.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#20 Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I usually put the lid down but there's no specific reason for that related to cleanliness.

When I visit other people's houses I usually don't put the lid down because I urinate in their sink.

Disclaimer: this post may have some parts that aren't true.

I put the lid down since reading the Readers Digest article on how far bacteria spew every time the toilet is flushed.
#21 Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I put the lid down simply to keep my toddler out of the toilet. If I don't and I turn my back (or forget to close the bathroom door behind me), she ends up giving her toys "baths" in the toilet.

Eventually, she'll figure out how to open the lid, so I'll have to get one of those toilet lid locks, I suppose.
#22 Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't put the lid down, and haven't for my entire life. I'm not dead yet.

Being paranoid about germ particles is a tad obsessive, geesh.
#23 Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I put it down. The germs get everywhere with it down, but it's way worse if you leave it up.
#24 Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe you should look into getting those snap-over covers for toothbrushes. or when you know the FIL is going to be around, move the brushes somewhere else.
#25 Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to just put the lid down, but then I realized that the GERMS could still escape from the little space beneath the seat. So I installed an airtight lid much like something you'd find on a rubbermaid container, which would be removed before use and replaced immediately afterwards.

But then I realized that when I take the lid off the force required to break the airtight seal caused the lid to flick when it separated from the bowl, so GERMS were being flung into the air!

Now I have my toilet enclosed in its own leaded compartment and guests are required to strip naked and enter and exit through a sterilization chamber. The toothbrushes are kept in a safety deposit box.
#26 Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

#27 Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Contributing Member

My cats get very upset if the lid is down. They won't drink water from anywhere else. It doesn't matter how often I put fresh water in their bowl.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#28 Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerks View Post

I used to just put the lid down, but then I realized that the GERMS could still escape from the little space beneath the seat. So I installed an airtight lid much like something you'd find on a rubbermaid container, which would be removed before use and replaced immediately afterwards.

But then I realized that when I take the lid off the force required to break the airtight seal caused the lid to flick when it separated from the bowl, so GERMS were being flung into the air!

Now I have my toilet enclosed in its own leaded compartment and guests are required to strip naked and enter and exit through a sterilization chamber. The toothbrushes are kept in a safety deposit box.

the future is here. God help the poor hygienic person who is this paranoid when they encounter the common cold. I suspect their body would be so weakly defended that pneumonia would ravage them over night. Very funny post.
#29 Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Now that my FIL is gone and I can relax I looked back at my original post and it does seem a TAD bit rabid.

On reflection, it was probably not so much leaving the seat up, but rather the peeing all over the seat and the floor that was upsetting me. I think also his attitude that he could pee all over my bathroom and then expect me to clean it up was the real issue for me. The bathroom just stank and felt filthy the whole time he was here.

Thanks for letting me vent--now that he is gone I can *relax*

Mods--feel free to close this as he is gone and I am over this now.

#30 Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

my cat will play in the toilet if given half a chance so we always put the lid down. but now that i think of it i'm not sure if i put it down before or after flushing. maybe during lol.

i have heard that before though, about particles flying out all over the place. i'm not worried about my toothbrush though, i keep a little plastic case on it

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page