Gainful Employment - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2003, 02:53 PM

I wanted this thread to talk all about gainful employment. Advice, experiences, moral conflicts... you know, all that fun on-the-job stuff.

Me, I'm unemployed at the moment. I just finished my Bachelor's and have moved to Victoria, BC, Canada (like I may have mentioned in a much earlier post, I was drawn here by the sea). I wonder if any of you are overwhelmed or intimidated by the looming necessity of participating in a profit driven society?

What I want to do is... well... write novels and draw comic books. Go to graduate school and study human culture. In the present, though, I need a job. Rent money, broccoli money, internet money.

I wonder if people are just being discouraging when they talk about the difficulty finding work (especially here apparently). Are we, educated but inexperienced, doomed? Will we end up panhandlers on the roadside?

PANIC!

So, there is this divide between the work we want to do and the work we can find. How do you all navigate the discrepancy or have you found a way to mend the two goals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

marmalade,

Ah. Good Question. This is certainly something I wrestle with. A bit of history... I'm 22 now. When I was in high school, pre-vegan and independant thought, I wanted to be an architect. I went to architecture school and then became vegan and an environmentalist.

Well, darn it if architecture isn't one of the most wasteful things to do in the world. It's the bulk of all raw material used in today's society. Think about this juxtaposition... People send in a toothbrush handle through the mail to get recycled, a 60 story building gets blown up and sent to a landfill.

So, after my associates, I looked into schools that catered to green architecture. I didn't find much, and most of what I found was far away or uncredited. I went to a new school, but I didn't like it and decided to quit. Meanwhile, I was working for Whole Foods Market (hereon WFM). It's a health food store... and the largest organic selling corporation in the world... Yeah. That's another interesting juxtaposition.

A year later, I'm still working for them. I make one and half times an hour what I did when I started, but everyday I have in my head "AGHHH!! I WORK FOR A CORPORATION!!"

I helped open the store I work at now and I watched a 22 year old health food store close across the street within a few months. Oddly enough, it opened the same year as the first WFM 5 miles away on the other side of the city. And now, WFM is located across the street of its first competitor which no longer exists.

Hmm...

I hope to open my own summer camp. I wish for the good from that to rest my mind. (Currently, my mind rests because many (dare I say most) of the products my work sells come from good companies.)
#3 Old 08-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Mikie.

If you can't do what you want, you should look for something that comes close (as possible) to your believes.

A health shop could be something for you, or other companies with a "social task".
#4 Old 08-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a real good job. i'm very lucky. Pays pretty good, benefits. I went to school for Illustration, spent 2 years trying to get into the business, then landed a job that was illustration based, although I'm not doing the illustrating.

It's full time, and this leaves me very little time to work on pictures, which is a bummer. My husband quit his job last year to be a musician full-time (he's doing great, by the way) and we're both saying that maybe next year, I can quit my job to be an artist. We'll see. Right now, it's just good to have at least one steady paycheck in the house.

I'm getting more and more interested in the environmental stuff, and would like to use my drawing/painting to help environmental organizations. But right now, I'm pretty happy where I am at this job, and feel very lucky to have it in this bad economy. I think mostly, if you can find a job that's close to where you want to be, go with it for a while until you can get into a place that makes you truly happy.
#5 Old 08-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Banned

Mikie if you can't find a school that specializes in green archictecture, you can go to an ordinary school, and look for jobs at companies that specialize in green architecture. If you can't, you can work at a company that does ordinary architecture for awhile to get experience, then open up your own company, where you can innovate. You can start small, design homes, rather than office building.

I'm hoping to get some land and build a farmhouse. I'd like a well thought-out design, that is green, as well as vegan, but I don't know how much extra money or time I am willing to spend to find out how the paper coating on wall board is glued to the gympsum core, in different brands, and to get a vegan one. It is mostly paper and gympsum, with just a little glue, if any.
#6 Old 08-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a boring job filing paper records. It's annoyingly boring, but it pays well. It doesn't conflict with my beliefs either. I wouldn't want to work somewhere that does conflict with my beliefs - i.e. I'm not going to be a butcher. I wouldn't mind being a waiter at a resstaurant that serves meat, but I'd prefer not to.

And as for my dream job, it would be running my own little veg*n restaurant. Not much conflict with my beliefs there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page