This is what I get for loving animals so much! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I'm on my way to Clinton, CT which is about an hour and forty five minutes from my house, hubby is driving. We're cruising along and my car is acting very sluggish whenever we hit the slightest incline. It had been acting up the last few months and I figured, I just got a car from a bad batch. It's a Honda Civic. My last one was awesome. But I digress. It starts blowing out white smoke from the tailpipe, but we make it to Clinton. On the way home, pretty much the same thing except the check engine light comes on. I drive it to work and it's obviously not that bad because it's running ok, just sluggish and the light is still on. I brought it to the dealer yesterday. (oh yeah, it's a lease).

I'm thinking, whatever is wrong with it has to be covered under the warranty. What should go wrong with a 2005 Civic with 15,000 miles on it.

I get a call later that day with 'I've got good news and bad news'. I knew the bad news was going to be that it wasn't covered under warranty but I was ready to argue.

Turns out, a critter decided to make a home in my air filter! It was a huge nest of leaves, twigs and acorns in the filter and somewhere else that I didn't really understand. They cleaned it out and I can't believe how great the car is running! It couldn't get any air through the filter so it was pulling air from the engine and burning oil. Now, how I do argue that it should be covered under warranty. I don't know of any warranty that covers for critters building nests! So $145 later, my car is fine. I just thought it was fitting that I'm always defending wildlife, so I guess I shouldn't mind that one decided to make it's home in my car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out and that the critter wasn't harmed to boot.
#3 Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

The price kinda sucks, that's a pretty expensive oil and air filter change! (dealerships, what can ya do?) I'd say it was good news and good news though. The animal was not home when you were driving, and there was no engine damage from all that stressed-out driving. That would have been WAAAY more expensive.
#4 Old 03-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm amazed because I don't really know how long I had been driving it like that...must have been at least a few months since that's how long I noticed the car not having much power. I can't believe that every time I turned the car on, the critter wasn't in there! That would have been very upsetting.
#5 Old 03-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Ankle Biter

The guys on "Car Talk" have animal stories like yours. It isn't really all that uncommon! Some furry friend just thought that your nice warm car was a great place to set up housekeeping. Perhaps it felt safe in a vegan's car!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Glad the little critter is okay, and the car is better!
#7 Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

that's a cute story glad it worked out okay (except for the money )
#8 Old 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

A few years ago my dad had birds that tried to build a nest on his battery. The funny part is, they did this when he parked his car at work for several days, even though he drove it home at night. Animals do strange things (at least to our point of view).
#9 Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Glad everything worked out and no critter was harmed.

My BF's neighbors let their cat roam outside, and it has a fondness for hanging around my BF's car, especially during the colder months. It even hopped IN his car one time when we were packing up for a camping trip. I've told my BF to make sure he honks the horn or something before starting up his car... I'm so afraid that cat will be under his hood one day.

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#10 Old 04-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister had a cat that used to do the same thing. No happy ending there, I'm afraid, and I'll leave it at that.
#11 Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

My sister had a cat that used to do the same thing. No happy ending there, I'm afraid, and I'll leave it at that.

My friend's cats are the same way. I back out of my parking space at half-a-mph because of my fear of hitting either of them. :S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page