Job Dismay - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Grrr! This is driving me insane!

Anyway, on to the problem, and hopefully a solution will follow.

I graduated High School early this year, for I had enough credits to do so. My older brother was attending college, and he seemed to like it so much that despite my hatred of High school, I went ahead and enrolled. Well, I quickly found out that college was not the best choice for me. I know that it would probably make my future easier for me, but I was very unhappy in the short time I was there, despite all that I tried in order to put a smile upon my face. I enjoyed the sociability, but it just was not "my cup of tea".

So, I formally withdrew. Now, however, I have a full day of nothing to do, and it is driving me nuts! I live in a small town, and I have having a tough time finding a job that will actually be future-compatible (aka: A job that fairly pays). Fast food is out of the question. I don't even want to go near that! ... Not nearly a secure job.

I applied at Best Buy, but they are not currently hiring. I have yet to apply at other large retail stores, but I expect Target to be next. My other brother - the one not in college - recommended his factory, but I honestly would die in a factory environment. He said the people there are incredibly harsh if you make any mistakes at all.

So... I am on a hunt! Anyone know of some good jobs I can look into that do not require a College degree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in your shoes. Have you considered college online?

I'm attempting that this summer. Any entry-level job with opportunity to move up in a company is good place to start. Look for a job search website for your state or check your local paper online ... you can usually find Classifieds job listings right on their website.

Best of luck!
#3 Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Where I live, it's fairly easy to get jobs in factories. That's where I would look if I wanted a lifelong job with good pay. You usually can't move up into supervisor positions without a degree, though.

It also might be worth it to learn a trade. You could go to vocational school for less time than you would have spent in college, or apprentice yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page