Cell Phone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

I've finally caved and decided I need a cellular device. So tell me, what works good for you all? I'm a college student, so I need stuff like unlimited local and texting, and cheap as possible . I was looking at cricket, because it says unlimited local/longdistance/texting/photos for 50$ a month, but I hate all their phones . could i get a cricket plan and not a cricket phone? i dont know. I'm also kind of looking at TMobile, germans rule.

So, adivse me!

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not 100% sure, but I think that you can only get cricket phones with a cricket plan. I think it has to do something with what kind of deal they have with certain kind of phone makers. I haven't had a normal plan for a few years. I actually have a pay as you go phone with t-mobile and it kind of like that I get what I pay for and not a plan where I don't use half of my minutes. The only thing is you have to buy a card and then add the minutes to your phone kind of like a calling card. for $25 I can get about 100 minutes I believe

I would suggest looking around at the different companies to see if they have what you like.
#3 Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

I am not 100% sure, but I think that you can only get cricket phones with a cricket plan. I think it has to do something with what kind of deal they have with certain kind of phone makers. I haven't had a normal plan for a few years. I actually have a pay as you go phone with t-mobile and it kind of like that I get what I pay for and not a plan where I don't use half of my minutes. The only thing is you have to buy a card and then add the minutes to your phone kind of like a calling card. for $25 I can get about 100 minutes I believe

I would suggest looking around at the different companies to see if they have what you like.

yeah screw doing that. my mother's phone is pay as you go and its just a serious waste of money that she should be using on our more important bills, i.e. rent.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#4 Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

<<-- Works for Verizon Wireless

As much as I'd love to plug Verizon (They are actually a much better company that other places **coughiusedtoworkforcingularcough** and I love working for them) they can be relatively expensive... at least, for the post-pay plans. However, the prices are about the same as Alltel, Sprint, and Cingular/AT&T.

Pre-pay is probably the best option for you. And T-Mobile isn't the best network or anything, but the plans are a great value... and they have pretty good phones.

I heard Virgin Mobile is pretty good... If you're interested in Verizon Wireless, here is their pre-pay info... it's really not bad, imo: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...PrepayOverview

As far as getting phones from carrier to carrier... It has to do with the technology used from carrier to carrier. I *think* Cricket uses GSM technology, which is extremely versatile. If you had an unlocked GSM phone, you can use it on cricket's network. For instance, Cingular/AT&T has GSM technology, and so does T-Mobile.

Oh, and as far as phone models go... Please, take my advice and stay AWAY from Motorola. I beg of you. I have to troubleshoot those suckers...
#5 Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I had cingular for many years and never had a problem with it. I could even use the phone at my parents' house where they can't get any reception (they've got verizon). THEN my bf and I wanted a family plan and we both have different area codes (even though we live in the same house.. we're from different places originally!) and neither wanted to change our numbers, and we had two different plans as well... Cingular, Verizon, etc... said Nooooo you have to be the same area code and wouldn't sell us plans where we could keep our phone numbers. Sprint said "Surrre you can keep your numbers with us.. and make phone calls starting at 7!! and get a 15% discount because you're a state employee..."

And now we're in a two year contract and it kinda sucks!! They screwed up my bills the first few months, and I'm still fighting with their rebate people for the rest of my phone rebate.

Whatever phone you get, I highly recommend insurance on it! You don't ever think anything will happen, but something does and it's $200 to replace the phone! yikes!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM

My brother works for verizon wireless, and I really do think they are a good company.
#7 Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my Sony Ericsson phone and would recommend Ericsson to everyone because of its ease of use (yes, even over Nokia).

I have T-Mobile & don't have any complaints. I think it's $45/mo for both remi & me to have 1000 minutes and 500 txt messages.
#8 Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree Sony Ericsson are the best phones. I had one I loved, but then I left it in my pocket and washed it. Sun com was no longer selling that phone so I got a crappy Nokia that has horrible reception and is less than 6 months old and already doesn't want to charge correctly. Both my boyfriend and I have had poor experiences with nokia phones, I wouldn't get one.
#9 Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to love my Nokia 6130, but it got stolen. It was a great phone, however, and I would definitely categorize Nokia as a very user-friendly phone.

Ericsson, though, caught me with all their features. In July 2005, I bought a k750i which has a 2-megapixel camera, FM tuner, MP3 player, and a removable SD mini card. super-sweet.
#10 Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

I have to warn you against going with T-Mobile. They have been nothing but horrible and are trying to screw me out of hundreds of dollars. And their pink razrs are a scam.

We had Cingular before and they were good. My dad has sprint and loves them. We are getting as far from T-MobileScam as we can and going with Sprint when our year is up in March.
#11 Old 02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I use to have Sprint and had trouble getting service in most areas. I had no reception in our house and going outside was pointless. When my 2 year contract was over is when I went with T-mobile's pre-paid plan. I haven't had any issues so far and I've had it a year now.
#12 Old 02-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I lovelovelove Alltel. I'm using a Motorola e815 and really liking the phone. However, I've had issues with the micro sd cards and it appears to be a firmware issue that hasn't been fixed as of yet. Alltel has this nifty feature so that you can call any ten numbers for free any time on their plans $59.99 and above. At least in Kansas, the service is unbeatable and there is rarely a place where I don't have a signal, which can't be said about Sprint.

#13 Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

I have to warn you against going with T-Mobile. They have been nothing but horrible and are trying to screw me out of hundreds of dollars. And their pink razrs are a scam.

Could you be more specific?
#14 Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Could you be more specific?

Okay, its a long story and I am most likely leaving out details because I am tired.

Last March we bought a T-Mobile family plan and I bought the pink Razr a.k.a piece of crap. A few weeks into our service I noticed some funny things going on with my phone. Other people were saying that they were hearing noises when talking to me but I never really heard it (not until a few months later when it got really bad). After a few months of thinking it would just go away it just kept getting worse and my phone would buzz and go white-blank about every other day. I did some research and found that the pink razr had been recalled because of malfunctions and poor manufacturing. So we called into T-Mobile to let them know what was going on and we were promised a new razr. We received a USED razr without the back piece and the battery. We called back and spoke to another person and they told us to send it back and they would send, for a second time, a new phone. We would send in my phone once we received the new one. Again we got a beaten up used phone. We called again and again sent that one back and they said they would send us another NEW razr. Three weeks passed and no phone. So we called in and apparently they had just forgotten to send it out. A week after that and I received my third used razr, no battery, no backplate.

Finally, my bf and were just livid and called cust service and they then had the nerve to tell us that it wasn't their policy to give out new phones and basically said that we were lying when we told them that their own reps had promised us a new phone replacement and none of our previous phone conversations with other reps were 'in their notes'. They said their policy was to replace phones with a "New or Like New" phone. When I asked for a new one, they kept repeating "New or LIKE NEW" and refused to explain why they advertise new phone replacements. So by then I had two phones, my original defective one and this third replacement that was worn in places and was very obviously used. I also had no idea if this phone had been or is still defective as well and when I asked T-Mobile reps they claimed they had no idea and didnt seem to care. I paid over $130.00 for a new razr and they flat out refused to replace my defective new phone with an equal exchange of a new non-defective phone.

(I had also planned on contacting Motorola myself but they told me that they are the middle-man for these things and that it would take a long time to get any kind of replacement from them. We called the phone number for Motorola that they gave us anyway and they were pretty much like Its T-Mobiles problem).

So, I just felt completely defeated at this point having looked online and found numerous similar complaints about T-Mobile and their razr. I was hoping to write to the president of the company and get this taken care of but no one seems to care at all. After a few weeks of trying to figure out what I wanted to do, I finally had the time/energy to start switching all of my contact info/etc. over to the new/used phone. We were going to send the original one back and ask that they send me all of my wallpaper/ringtones that I had purchased from T-Mobile (they lock it so you cannot get it off yourself). Then this past week I get our bill in the mail and they are charging us $200.00 for the USED phone they sent!! Immediately my bf calls to tell them that we have the original and are just getting all of the info switched but they say that its too late and now they just want the money. We are NOT paying them a single cent for all of this hassle. We have been dealing with this for the greater part of a year and we have been called liars, thieves and stupid from their reps and have been lied to by T-Mobile so many times it makes my head spin.

Well thats the story and why I find T-Mobile to be the most dishonest company I have ever dealt with. I never wanted an upgrade of my phone or free stuff. Having been thrilled to buy this phone, I just wanted an equal exchange of a new razr for a new razr. I have also purchased hundreds of dollars of accessories for the razr that would be completely useless without it. I think for my investment of about $500 into T-Mobiles phones and accessories plus a one-year $79.00/Month family plan we would be treated a little better than this. If you do some research on T-Mobile you will find similar complaints of bilking money from customers. So yeah, F-T-Mobile.

Sorry so long...I am getting upset just typing all of this as it has yet to be resolved.
#15 Old 02-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Why didn't you just go into a T-Mobile store/the place you bought your phone & service?

And really, if they promise to send you a "new/like-new" phone, it is probably in their contract and they deliver. Plus, they probably indicate how long you have to return a phone and will charge you for the extra phone if you keep it beyond that point. So really, they haven't done anything wrong.

At the same time, they haven't bent over backward to make you a life-long customer. Seems that this is common customer service across all cell phone companies.
#16 Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

New or like new actually isn't a carrier policy, it's what the manufacturer warranty provides. If you look through your warranty the manufacturer reserves the right to provide you with refurbished equipment. What T-mobile sent you is called "seed stock." That is provided to carriers for free by the manufacturers so that the manufacturers send the refurbs and the carrier has something to send to customers. It actually is out of T-mobile's hands if they're only doing a warranty exchange for you, but trust me, they should have ways to send a new one.
#17 Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

My brother works for verizon wireless, and I really do think they are a good company.

Yeah they are.. They're really taking care of me right now because metlife denied my short-term disability bc my dr's handwriting is illegible (it's worse than other dr's... really!) so I have to appeal that, but Verizon had another way to take care of me through HR and I am able to recover from my surgery and everything now! AND they're keeping me insured.. I keep my schedule and my job... I still have all my benefits, which is great bc the hospital bill would have cost about 20k.
#18 Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Beginner

yeah I have t-mobile, and I use a slvr (which isn't even a t-mobile phone) and I think I get 1000/min and 1000/txt for uhh....I dunno like $70 a month, but those cricket phones that I was reading about it doesn't seem like you could use em outside of a certain area, but I'm not sure, you could try boost mobile which is 1000/min and 1000/txt for like $50 a month but you don't get night/weekends.

[ I was just reading the rant about the t-mobile phone replacement thing, and if you paid like $200 bucks for a pink razr then i dunno what to tell you, my aunt bought a pink razr and it was like $20-40 brand new, my slvr was like $170. I don't know much about their replacement policies, but I think your suppose to take out the battery and sim card and the back so when they send you a phone you can put it back in their. The only reason I say that is cause when I bought my phone the guy had to put in a battery which didn't come w/ the phone. But it may be diff. where you live at.]
#19 Old 03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

One thing to consider is what the signal is like in the areas you'll be making calls from. We used to have Sprint and when we moved across town (still right in the city!) they didn't have towers close enough to us. We had a lot of dropped calls and sometimes could not even place a call. Nothing against Sprint since this could be the case with any company depending on where you live.

Right now my husband and I use Alltel. Since most of our friends and family use it, it worked out well. My husband has a prepay plan that has unlimited calling to other Alltel phones and unlimited text messaging. He pays about $24/month for that and then adds minutes as needed for other calls. To minimize the other calls, he'll sometimes make them from a landline phone or borrow my phone. My account is not prepay, has 700 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekend and voicemail. I pay $34/month. This works out well enough for us that we don't bother with having a landline phone at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page