What political party do you favor? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What political party do you support the most?
Democrat 0 0%
Republican 0 0%
Green 0 0%
Libertarian 0 0%
Independent 0 0%
Other (I will explain) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just interested in seeing what parties veg*ns support.

Some people argue that voting for an Independent/third party candidate that doesn't have a chance to win is a vote wasted, because we don't have a proportional representation system. What do you think about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 PM

I would say Libertarian, but I'm not really sure anymore. I don't know.
#3 Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
seeker and optimist

I'd rather vote in what I believe than apply my vote to the most likely winner.

I vote green when possible, or the greenest, to not do so would be selling out.
#4 Old 12-08-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

... but I vote for the best person - - not the party.

Ditto.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I vote the party, so I vote green. But I don't live in the US.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 12-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not registered as anything... I voted mostly democrat last time (except for one case, both guys sucked so I didn't vote for either)
#7 Old 12-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Ankle Biter

I don't vote Republican.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 12-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I vote Democrat. Independent/third party people rarely make it on the ballot where I am, but I would consider voting for them if I thought they had a chance. Normally, I do agree that it is wasting votes, and I prefer to go with the lesser evil of the two main parties. Interesting story: In Youngstown, OH, last year, there was a candidate who screwed up his petitions and didn't make it onto the ballot. He spent a ton of money advertising a write-in campaign and won by a landslide. Of course, he would never have made it without massive amounts of money (and some weak opponents), but it shook things up a bit.
#9 Old 12-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

None.

I'm an anarchist.

ebola
#10 Old 12-09-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I don't vote Republican.

What if all the other choices were complete *******s? Would you choose not to vote? Just wondering, as this situation came up for me in the recent election.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 12-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Ankle Biter

I always vote. And I vote the party line even when I'm not too keen on the individual candidates. Truthfully, I've never had the experience of having a completely unworthy Democrat up against a truly remarkable, moderate Republican. Should that happen, perhaps I will change my tune. As it stands now, the democratic party embraces my political beliefs better than the other, and so I will continue to support it.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 12-09-2006, 05:33 PM

Ah. See my choice is a couple of the categories were for horrible Democrats (one a crook, one extremely inept) against two at-least-average Republicans. In one case, I took the Republican, the other went to a third party candidate.

#13 Old 12-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been slowly leaning towards the radical middle, but some of my beliefs are not aligned with theirs.

#14 Old 12-10-2006, 05:17 AM

das_nut

This is a bit silly, but the idea reminds me of an old episode of The West Wing (back before it sucked). The Prez and company are trying to fill an open spot on the Supreme Court. Of course, they're trying find someone that will be approved by both the Dems and the Reps. Compromises galore. In the midst of this, another justice dies, opening a second seat. The end "compromise" is that both a very liberal and a very conservative judge are appointed. The characters are both highly intelligent people, and there is this wonderful scene where they're having a heated debate about some legal matter. It's not always about finding "the middle", but finding the best from both sides.

#15 Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

#16 Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Ankle Biter

I wish there were more viable third-party options in central Virginia, but it really hasn't caught on.

#17 Old 12-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

>>I've been slowly leaning towards the radical middle>>

I LOL'd.

>>It's not always about finding "the middle", but finding the best from both sides.>>

I think the "sides", and perhaps the idea that there are only two, are concepts that reinforce the status quo. When people talk about trying to find compromise between "the" two sides, they're usually not talking about trying to find a middle ground between the fascists and the anarcho-communists.

ebola
#18 Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Beginner

I tend to vote based on the candidates - I don't like voting "party line" I don't agree with either major party on a lot of stuff. I would probably classify myself as libertarian though.
#19 Old 12-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never found a situation so distasteful that I would ever vote republican, lol. Rather than vote republican I'd probably not vote.
#20 Old 12-10-2006, 12:10 PM

Libertarian for its core values. They just continue to fail me in execution of getting the message across. The party will never take off as long as the primary thing they talk about is legalizing drugs.
#21 Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>I've been slowly leaning towards the radical middle>>

I LOL'd.

But do you have an owl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

I have never found a situation so distasteful that I would ever vote republican, lol. Rather than vote republican I'd probably not vote.

I think Tennessee would change your mind.

Let me introduce you to former state senator John Ford.

He's currently under house arrest in a federal bribery case that not only includes taking money for handing out political favors but also includes a few threats on the lives of witnesses in that case.

Before he got nailed by the FBI, he had a long and colorful history which includes allegations of assault (including a road rage incident that included a claim of a shot being fired, and several other incidents where a gun was displayed), domestic violence, and sexual harassment.

I'd wish I could say that he was voted out of office, but he belonged to the heavily democratic state senate district 29 (part of Memphis, TN). There was over a decade of his hijinks (and several re-elections) until he was forced to resign due to his arrest by the FBI.
#22 Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm registered Green, and vote Democratic if there is no Green candidate.

The question of the utility of voting for minor party candidates is an interesting one.

Some things to keep in mind:

* A vote is not "wasted" simply because it is cast for someone who does not win. If that were true, people who voted for Al Gore "wasted" their votes just as much as those who voted for Ralph Nader, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

* Unless the vote totals for the two candidates differ by exactly one vote, your individual vote does not affect who wins. The odds of such an exact tie are astronomically small, so by this logic voting at all is an irrational waste of time.

* Not since the Republican party won the white house in 1860 has a minor party attained major party status, and it is not likely to happen in the foreseeable future in the US. However, minor parties have affected policies in very significant ways, as their ideas are co-opted by the major parties and put into affect.

The primary reason for voting, it seems to me, is to inform the political establishment about what the voting public wants. A vote for a minor party actually carries much more information than a vote for a major party, because minor parties tend to have very specific platforms that are not watered down to trying to appeal to as many different types of people as possible.

I do vote for a Democrat if I think the election will be close in my state, and particularly if I think there will be important consequences of a Democratic v. Republican victory. This, too, is for the sake of providing information - when a lot of Greens vote Democratic in a close race, it lets it be known that the Republicans cannot count on winning just because of a divided opposition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page