Tuesday is Election Day in America. PLEASE VOTE! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

There is nothing more important than taking the time to vote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been volunteering for a campaign I support in my area, so you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm voting!
#3 Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

aaaagh i wish i was old enough to vote!! (i don't live in the US- just venting lol)
#4 Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents usually mail their ballots, but that didn't happen this time, so I'm hand delivering their completed ballots for them tomorrow. I was going to do the same thing, but I just didn't take the time to sit down and go over all that stuff. I took my sample ballot over to my parents house, got my mother's sample ballot (since she did the research and I didn't and I generally trust her judgement; our political views, while not 100% exact on everything, are pretty close to being the same), and checked off in my ballot what she checked off in hers. We live in the same district, so that was no problem there. I'll get my actual ballot ready tonight, seal it up, and hand deliver theirs and mine tomorrow. At least I won't have to wait in line to vote.

The polling place in my neighborhood used to be pretty dead until Dubya came to power.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 11-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

already voted absentee... this is my first real election I'm voting in
#6 Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband is an election judge; he won't let me not vote! It won't probably make a huge difference for me to vote in this predominantly GOP area, but who knows, maybe even here folks might be sick of the way things have been going.
#7 Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone once told me that voting is the most patriotic thing you can do - it shows you believe in your country.

Well, whether I do or not, I voted on my way to work this morning. I did my part to get my friend the opposition Congress he wants for Christmas this year.
#8 Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I was waiting outside the polls at 6 AM
#9 Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted! :-)
#10 Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

There is nothing more important than taking the time to vote.

Yes there is: doing something to directly help and/or influence your local community.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#11 Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

If you live in Arizona, vote for Proposition 204, which is on the ballot and will put an end to two of the worst factory farm abuses: the intensive confinement of mother pigs and male dairy calves in crates so narrow they can't turn around.
#12 Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My small contribution to getting democratic canidates voted in is done.

PS: No factory farming bill here in VT to vote on.
#13 Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

I stopped & voted on the way to the gym. The only ones I really focused on were governor, the proposal to ban affirmative action, and the proposal to let people shoot doves.
#14 Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

If I were to vote I would first have to acknowledge that the voting system is legitimate. Since I am not willing to acknowledge this, I will not vote. Think of my no vote as a protest vote.
#15 Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Well my vote was to protest shooting doves, affirmative action, and someone else as governor.
#16 Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks like we Californians have the Governator for another term. No surprise there.

*this space not for sale*
#17 Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

Someone once told me that voting is the most patriotic thing you can do - it shows you believe in your country.

Not if you think patriotism is as bad as racism and you're voting against patriotic policies that favor one group of people (americans) over another group.
#18 Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Not if you think patriotism is as bad as racism and you're voting against patriotic policies that favor one group of people (americans) over another group.

Wha?
#19 Old 11-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I think there are a few definitions of "patriotic." There's the "my country/government is always right and to h*** with what everyone else thinks." And then there's the "This is a good system of government and I can vote to change it if I want!" view of patriotism. I fall into the latter category - people and governments aren't perfect, but we have a pretty good system and voting is my way of participating in it.

But I can see kpickell's point - if you define patriotic by the first definition, I'd probably be seen as pretty UNpatriotic. Even if I did vote.
#20 Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Snownose, what happened to the ballot measure you mentioned? . . .

"If you live in Arizona, vote for Proposition 204, which is on the ballot and will put an end to two of the worst factory farm abuses: the intensive confinement of mother pigs and male dairy calves in crates so narrow they can't turn around."
#21 Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

Hey Snownose, what happened to the ballot measure you mentioned? . . .

"If you live in Arizona, vote for Proposition 204, which is on the ballot and will put an end to two of the worst factory farm abuses: the intensive confinement of mother pigs and male dairy calves in crates so narrow they can't turn around."

It won!

Quote:
In Arizona, humane treatment of farm animals won the day when voters cast their ballot in favor of Proposition 204, which bans gestation crates for breeding pigs and veal crates for young calves. Agribusiness and other special interests spent $2.5 million to defeat Proposition 204. It is the second state in the nation to ban gestation crates and the first state to ban veal crates. The vote was 61 percent in favor and only 39 percent opposed.

#22 Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I stopped & voted on the way to the gym. The only ones I really focused on were governor, the proposal to ban affirmative action, and the proposal to let people shoot doves.

It was worth it!

Quote:
Michigan voters stepped up for mourning doves, crushing Proposal 3 on the ballot and restoring the 100-year tradition of protecting the state's official bird of peace from target shooting. The vote was 68 percent to 32 percent.

#23 Old 11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

TO the non voting people:

How is not voting an act of protest?. What it ultimatly does in our system is let other people decide for you. For each time you don't vote, then someone else 's vote counts more.

If voting was so unimportant do you think an entire gender would have fought so hard to acheive it?..nah...lt's just let the other gender decide for us?.

I can understand if your life is so messed up that you cannot vote because you are occupied with a crisis etc, but otherwise I see no reason not to get out and vote. I'm sorry I have no patience with people who practice such policatical apathy and it frustrates me that crucial choices are being made by a minority of the population.

Such voting apathy is NOT heard as an act of protest but an act of silence.

On the other hand...if you went to the polls with a big sign about how all the candidates suck and you refuse to vote because of this and draw attention to this reason, then your reason for not voting might have a rational basis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page