Can money buy happiness? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2006, 06:08 PM

We've all heard the saying before. It's an interesting topic to me, and everyone here always has interesting opinions. It seemed like a good thread topic!

Here are some questions to explore:

* What does the phrase "Money can't buy happiness" mean to you?

* Can money buy happiness?

* If so, is there a cut-off point where it no longer makes you happy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Money can make some things in life easier and having it to buy things can create short-lived feelings of satisfaction, but I don't think it makes people truly happy. Happiness comes from within.
#3 Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

Money can make some things in life easier and having it to buy things can create short-lived feelings of satisfaction, but I don't think it makes people truly happy. Happiness comes from within.

Nice idea!

When your are so broke that you can not pay rent or buy food that is not happiness. I mean when I was unimployed and at the shop where I was making little I got in constant arguments and kind of depression because I could not take care of my basic needs.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#4 Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely. Money can buy me things or experiences that make me happy. Going on a long vacation via first or business class, and staying in a really nice resort would make me happy. Taking excellent pictures with a nice digital camera would help me remember & retain that happiness.

It'd be really hard to be happy without any money at all; money surely buys some level of happiness, even if it's to pay for basic needs (food, water, shelter...).
#5 Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

It'd be really hard to be happy without any money at all; money surely buys some level of happiness, even if it's to pay for basic needs (food, water, shelter...).

That is what I was trying to say. We do need it for our basic life needs. I do think that true happines comes from inside but, who realy is truly happy living on the street and not being able to buy food.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 10-19-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Going on a long vacation via first or business class, and staying in a really nice resort

I have dreams of staying at a place like that someday...
#7 Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

I'm pretty easily pleased as long as I'm doing it with someone I like being around. I entertain myself pretty easily, and when I'm around someone else, it's twice the fun.

I like money. I like being able to afford things. I don't care for jewelry or bling, or fancy cars (although I will admit I almost got the BMW instead of my Prius when I was car shopping, but finally settled on the Prius) If a guy has a corvette, I'm really not impressed by it if he's a dumbass.

Amy- that's gorgeous. I'd love to go stay at a place like that for a week or so. As of right now, it's just me, so that won't happen for a while.

I like that my extra money has afforded me the ability to get my hair straightened every 4 months, and pay my bills without worry, and put a fat down payment on my car, and get laser hair removal because I hate shaving almost as much as I hate body hair. They're not necessities (aside from bills,) but MAN do they make life easier. I like that I can give my mom a vacation for Mother's Day. I like that my friend can ask if I want to go to Chicago "next weekend" and I have the money to go.

Money can do a lot of things. I think it can bring you happiness. Unless you're one of those people who's easily fooled into thinking certain people like you when they only like what you can do for them. In that case, a fool and his money are soon parted, and yeah, you're going to be left heartbroken somewhere along the line.

Whether you have money or not, you should be able to find "the" person for you, which will make you happy. (note: You should be happy BEFORE finding this person. They should accent your happiness.) Having the money to do what you and "the" person want to do, is extreme happiness.

You can still be happy and NOT have money, but money definitely makes things easier.
#8 Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

It was $900/night OFF SEASON

I only got to stay there b/c I was doing a software implementation for the owner (http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/flash.html).

I'd love to go back some day (and take remi) - and spend more than a day & a half there. (the rest of the time I was there, I stayed at a rather primitive not-yet-open resort -- the company was rebuilding after the tsunami)
#9 Old 10-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Yeah, it's beautiful.

I'm not that picky. My ex and I went a couple hours south cuz he had a tournament somewhere, and we stayed at a crappy Knights Inn in a hot tub room, and it was still a ton of fun.

See...if I had a million bucks, I'd hire a hot guy, and I'd go stay there for a couple weeks and it would make me happy. However I don't. And I can't afford a hot guy. Or a stay there. And it makes me unhappy. So yes. Money can buy happiness.
#10 Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

have had money.

have had no money.

happiness itself doesn't seem to be effected by the amount of dollars in the bank.
#11 Old 10-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Troub: but things are easier when you don't have to think twice about paying for something, right?
#12 Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it can buy you social status, which might make you happy, depending on your priorities.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Can money buy happiness?

I don't know, but I'd really like to find out.

So I'd like to propose an experiment: Everyone who reads this send me as much money as you can send (minimum of $100).

Once I get all the money, I'll let you know how happy I am.
#14 Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

Can money buy happiness?

I don't know, but I'd really like to find out.

So I'd like to propose an experiment: Everyone who reads this send me as much money as you can send (minimum of $100).

Once I get all the money, I'll let you know how happy I am.

Nice try, mister!
#15 Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Skylark: most of the things I spend money on aren't gaining me social status.
#16 Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I didn't say it was the only thing money could do.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#17 Old 10-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Money lets me enjoy things, and lowers my stress levels (in terms of 'oh god how do i pay the bills') But it does not make me truly happy inside, not unless I am doing something with it to help others, like with the teddy bear i bought the other day (100% profits going to some sort of 'children with disabilities' charity) and the $5/month I donate to Doctors Without Borders. But even that only contributes a small slice to the happiness pie.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#18 Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it can buy you socialstatus, which might make you happy, depending on your priorities.

hmm. money makes it easier to be happy. i have money, but no social status- i can afford to do the things i want to do, which makes me happy. for instance, i spend my money on kickboxing and fencing lessons. it doesn't make me the social elite but I enjoy it immensely.
#19 Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:

yep!
#20 Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Banned

Nope, but the lack of it can make you miserable, or did I say that before?
#21 Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

I have to agree with that, too.

I like that I have the freedom to say "yes" when someone asks for a donation (and it's something I support.) I did a search yesterday for something and it brought up an old thread about a humane society black cat that was painted white, and they were trying to collect $600 to pay off the medical bills. I looked at the date and it was old. But I had instantly thought that if it was current I would have immedately contacted them and given them the balance of what they needed.

I like that when there was that thread about the Grimes lady who was brought up on charges for rescuing that dying dog, and they were collecting funds for her, I was able to go to paypal and give fifty bucks without worrying if I was going to make it til my next paycheck.

Or when I check out at petsmart and they ask if i'd like to donate to a local rescue (which happens to be the rescue I fostered cats for,) I can say to add $10 to my total.

It makes me feel good, so yeah it's not that altruistic. I hate feeling like there's nothing I can do.

Back when I supported PETA, i'd give them some decent donations.

I may not be very active in the things I do, but I'm ok with helping monetarily for those who are all about the activity, but can't back it up with funds. That makes me happy. This way I can be lazy, but still help in a way that's really needed.
#22 Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM

i can spend 300 bucks on a corset and another 300 on a sword and a kajillion on dialect and acting lessons so other people can call me a geek. so be it.

money can buy everyone happiness. the question is, what makes a person truely happy? sometimes material things makes people happy, sometimes, being able to give to charity or better themselves.
#23 Old 10-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Oh, plenty of it goes to superficial/material things.

Forgive me if I sounded like some kind of martyr or something. I definitely did not mean to do that.

Hair straightening and laser hair removal = pure selfishness.

Never having to shave again & being permanently smooth = priceless
#24 Old 10-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes that is a good point, purr. money allows us to pay for the things that make us happy. like I don't know how happy I would be if I weren't at university right now, now THAT cost me my entire bank account balance. and it lets me pay for my unneccessary kitchen supplies that I use for my cooking-hobby, and lets me buy dinner at the pub etc

But when it comes to things that really matter, I don't know. As it stands, a lot of the things I want in life right now cannot be bought with any amount of money, so it doesn't mean too much to me aside from paying the bills and allowing me to go out occasionally.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#25 Old 10-19-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Oh, plenty of it goes to superficial/material things.

Forgive me if I sounded like some kind of martyr or something. I definitely did not mean to do that.

Hair straightening and laser hair removal = pure selfishness.

Never having to shave again & being permanently smooth = priceless

see, i don't think that hair removal is all that "superficial". it saves you time (and time is $) and on razors and what not.

it's the differnece between a Hummer and a Econoline van. both carry the same amount of people, but one is more efficient than the other.
#26 Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, having money would allow me to build an art studio/workshop and also purchase all of the equipment and materials that I need. Being able to do all the arts and crafts things that I love makes me happy.
#27 Old 10-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Guess we can agree that money can provide a lot of freedoms.
#28 Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 PM

i like being able to say yes when i'm invited out.

i like to be able to say i support myself and i can be on my own. i don't have to mooch off of anyone.
#29 Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

Amen!

*breaks into "Sistaaaas are doin' it for themselves"*
#30 Old 10-19-2006, 08:54 PM

i refuse to date a man who cannot support himself.

*respect 'just a little bit*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page