relocating in the EU - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm romanian so next year i'll be a EU citizen. does anyone know how easy it will be for me to move to another country in the western EU or switzerland? what are the steps i'll need to take? i play online poker for a living (i don't know if i'm considered a freelancer or self-employed) and i'll probably be making at least 5-10 times the money the average person in the EU makes, so i'm thinking many countries woud love to have me since financial issues seem to be very important in this kind of situation . also do you have any idea where i could find info about what taxes i'll need to pay for online gambling profits? and if you know any good vegan friendly places on top of that it would be perfect... please any kind of help tytyty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I would think England would be the most vegan-friendly place within the EU. Most of the other EU countries have pretty heavy dairy industry and not a lot of compassion for (specifically farming) animals, unfortunately. The southern EU-members like Spain and Italy are not so pushy on the dairy but have no clue about veg*nism (generalizing here). Cities would be better than countryside.

I have no idea about the citizenship or taxes issues, I even think gambling may be illegal in a couple of countries, you need to look that up maybe on one of the EU websites. They have Q&A sections.

Switzerland, while being one of my favourite countries in Europe, is not an EU-member and is very, very hard to get into. They further toughened their immigration laws a few weeks ago.
#3 Old 10-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I would second the UK as a good choice for veg*ans. I've a friend in the UK who also plays online poker, and I don't think he pays taxes for it. Then again, I don't know much about these things. Are your only requirements low taxes and a veg*an-friendly place?
#4 Old 10-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that many countries will restrict immigration from Romania and Bulgaria, and it's quite likely that the UK will be one of them. I agree that the UK is probably the most vegan-friendly place in Europe, though.

I don't know about the taxes, you would have to check with the Inland Revenue or equivalent in the country you were thinking of going to.
#5 Old 10-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the immigration will be restricted for a certain period to prevent massive immigration. You will be able to circulate freely though.

Look here for details :

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/Brie...d_Bulgaria.asp

I know Belgium is currently preparing some legislation on internet gambling, if I am not mistaken in view of taxing it somehow.
#6 Old 10-20-2006, 08:45 AM

Come to the UK! Its fantastic for vegans. Well, my city is There are organisations set up specifically to help people imigrating too, so you would find places to go to for advice when you got here.

Most of the cities are very multicultural, and you would meet people from all around the world.

Switzerland might be more difficult to get into. I would love to live there though, its so incredibly beautiful and some of my best friends live there.
#7 Old 10-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

from what i've read on the internet uk is one of the few countries in the old eu who will have no restrictions on immigration from romania and bulgaria. i'd like to live in or near a town(a lot of green around, few cars..) with many vegans and vegan places and have good internet connection because of my poker job. do you know any smaller towns where i can find all that(or maybe a town that isn't so vegan but at least have clean air and be close enough to a big city )? also do you know any good sites with uk real estate or can you tell me how much would a 2-3 bedroom house in a decent area cost to buy or rent ? ty
#8 Old 10-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

They haven't decided yet about the restrictions. Moving country is a big decision though, I would be sure that you are certain, visit for a while first.

Happy cow has lists of all the vegan places in England, Scotland and Wales. I would say that almost all towns will have a health food shop, and if they don't, it's easy to buy online. Pretty much anywhere will have broadband access unless it's very remote.

Find a property lists houses in a lot of areas. Maybe you would like to check out Scotland? It's very beautiful.
#9 Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

there's nothing to keep me here, i don't feel at home at all in my own country. i don't like the culture plus there are no vegans or vegan places. i only get out of the house to go the doctor or something similar so the uk can't be any worse ... in fact i've already started preparing for my new uk life by constantly repeating phrases like ''innit'' and ''d'you kno' wot ah mean''.
#10 Old 10-22-2006, 01:55 PM

vegan23: This is a good place to start for information about the required procedures:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

I don't know about taxes wrt online gambling, but otherwise the UK is pretty alright (especially if you like rain )

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 10-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Obviously I am a bit biased, but I would choose the North West of England!

I think you would like Lancaster, its a large town by the sea, and its ideal for vegans. Or you could go for somewhere like Hebden Bridge, or Todmorden - both small towns, but very vegan friendly. For a big city, I'd pick Manchester or Liverpool.
#12 Old 10-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

someone else on another vegan forum also told me lancaster is great for vegans he also said up north it's cheaper than the south for buying property. are there many vegans are vegan shops/restaurants in that area? i saw some photos of the region and i think it is biu-tee-fool.
#13 Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

don't try portugal for vegan food. I'm here now and just being vegetarian is difficult enough. If I so much as look as at another omelette I swear I will vomit.

Ooh I just rhymed.

Italy is good, for vegetarians at least.
#14 Old 10-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

From what I know, if you've got a job before you enter another EU country, you're pretty much guaranteed in. That's probably the easiest way... I'm not certain about getting in without that, but I'm sure it's not overly difficult either.

I'm in the process of permanently relocating to England from Canada (which isn't as easy as it would be from an EU country). It's *very* veggie friendly. Moreso than any place I've been before. If you want a veg friendly EU country, the UK is the place to be. I would recommend Scotland to begin with because of the smoking ban, but england is following up next year too, I think.
#15 Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I love scotland and ireland for their smoking bans. It means you can experience all the great nightlife whilst still being able to breathe and not coming home reeking of cigarettes!

I wish continental europe would follow suit!
#16 Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan23 View Post

from what i've read on the internet uk is one of the few countries in the old eu who will have no restrictions on immigration from romania and bulgaria.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/eu/st...930324,00.html

The UK government just announced their restrictions. It's hard to see in what way this would affect you though, as you have such an unusual job.
#17 Old 10-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I wish continental europe would follow suit!

As of January 1st, 2007. Yay !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page