Anyone ever hit an animal with your car? What do you do? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

I have a bit of a commute to/from work. Usually at least one of the ways, it's dark out. I see a lot of roadkill on the way to/from work.

I'm always really paranoid that I'm going to hit an animal. I do my best to avoid this, obviously.

I think about this a lot, and I'd like to know in case it ever happens. What do you do when you hit an animal?? Assuming it doesn't die on impact, what do you do?

Ugh. I hate even thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i hit a deer once. i stayed late at a friends and was rushing to get home so my mom wouldnt yell at me. i didnt take the time to wait for my car to warm up to defog the windows. it was also incredbly foggy out that night. so i was doing about 20 mph and wiping my windshield with my sleeve to see when bam! out jumps a deer...i got out and i hadnt killed it but worse, broke its back legs. i of course started crying. well i eventually got to cops out there and i assume they shot it. i didnt stick around to find out. it still haunts me though.
#3 Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband hit a cat once, it didnt die, we got out and found it, it had run off in the bushes, we took it to our vet, he operated on it and it ended up being fine, we went back to the neighborhood and found the owner, who i might add was more concerned with the vet bill than anything else. i paid.

once i hit a duck, i admit i was distracted and it waddled out on the side of the road, i hit it, i went back it didnt die but i think its wing was broke, i went over to the police station and they called animal control to check it out.

i dont know what happened, i went back and the duck was in the water swimming, so hopefully ended up ok.

i have accidentally smushed frogs at night in the rain,

its tough, i hate it when something happens, i feel sick to my stomach, but sometimes its unavoidable and it just happens as much as we try to avoid it.
#4 Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm also terrified of hitting an animal, I think it might put me off driving, possibly forever. I would of course try to get the animal some sort of care if it were still alive but right now my plan it to never find out.
#5 Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

You should get info on your local wildlife emergency care centers. Usually there is a main one and also ones that are home run by different people with wildlife licenses who are on call. We have several in the different places that I have lived.

Animals that have been injured are likely to be in much better care with wildlife care givers. Animal control and the police will almost always immediately put the animals down before making any effort to save it (in my experience).

I would also keep a carboard box that can close and a towel in your car at all times. That way you can pick an animal up and take it to a wildlife center if need be. I have had many experiences coming in contact with injured birds and rabbits, and have taken them to these care centers and many of the animals have been able to be rehabilitated.. the good thing about these places is that they are run on donations and you don't have to pay for the bills. Back to the car though..After my cat was hit by a car I started keeping the towel and box in my car at all times just in case I ever see a hurt animal or if I hit one. It's just a humane/good idea.
#6 Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Here's a kit like the one sushi8kat was talking about http://www.petacatalog.org/prodinfo.asp?number=CA150

I think it would just be easier to get a box yourself and some towels, ect to keep in your trunk. I would make sure you could close the box though, just because an animal is injuried doesnt mean it won't try to escape a scray situation!
#7 Old 10-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Injured animals can be very dangerous to handle. I would think you'd need thick gloves and coat to even consider trying to pick up a possum, raccoon, or whatever. Even an injured cat might be impossible to handle. I'd like to see what a wildlife rehab place would advise in this situation. I don't feel confident I would actually know what to do.

One must also consider what kind of road you are on. The times I have hit animals, I was on dark, fast roads with ditches or freeways. To pull off to the side and look around for the animal would have been quite dangerous. I've thought it would be nice to be able to euthanize an animal I've hit if need be.
#8 Old 10-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

Well, almost my entire route, sans like a mile, is on a freeway. And usually i'm driving home from 12 am - 1 am or later. Since it is such a stretch, that passes through a lot of cities, I just wonder who I would contact, considering I think each city has its own..whatever. I've seen SO many dead animals on/in the road, that it makes me think about it everytime I see one. Aside from deer, possums, raccoons, & skunks; I've seen cats, and something I think was a german shepherd, and another that looked like a lab. I admit the "domestic" animals are harder to deal with than the "wild."

A person I work with said she hit a deer once, and called the cops, and they wouldn't kill it. They gave some reason, but I can't remember what it was.

Once, in broad daylight, I was driving down said freeway (US-23.) Traffic was pretty steady, and I saw a lump in the road ahead of me that the car in front of me passed over. I thought "Ugh. another dead animal." Then it turned its head and looked at me RIGHT as i drove over it. I didn't run it over, it was perfectly under my car to where I just drove over. I wanted to throw up because there were a million cars behind me, and I had a hard time believing it got off the road safely.

I've had a couple close calls and once when I was in high school, I hit a bird. I stopped the car and got out, but it kept hobbling () away from me. His wing was bloodied, and I could NOT stop crying. I felt horrible.

I've also thought about wishing I had some way to euthanize them, should it ever happen again.

The same coworker who hit the deer said she hit a rabbit a few years ago, and it wasn't dead. She felt terrible, but she put the car in reverse and ran it over again. I know I couldn't do that. I'm queasy just thinking about it.

This is why I've decided I'm going to marry a vet.

I think I'm going to call the emergency clinic here and ask what they suggest. Bringing an animal there isn't feasible if I'm an hour away in Ann Arbor, or if the animal is a deer, or some other wild/stray animal.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
#9 Old 10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

This scares me too. Not only are there many deer where I live, but I have to drive through two sections of neighborhood in which cats are ALWAYS out.

Just today I had to stop to let another cat mosey across the road. I honked at it to try and scare it to discourage the cat from hanging around in the road.

My "solution" is just to take it slow (nothing over 25 mph) down the hill. I purposefully leave the house early every day to give myself enough time to get to work without rushing. When I go through the two small sections in which the cats are always out, I slow down even further and scan the road for cats starting to cross.

This is about all I can do. I am so thankful there have been no accidents. I don't know what I'd do about a wild animal, because there are no wildlife rehabbers where I live. Wildlife rehab is illegal in my state. Unfortunately, I'd have to just call the cops or animal control to come and shoot the animal.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#10 Old 10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

This scares me too. Not only are there many deer where I live, but I have to drive through two sections of neighborhood in which cats are ALWAYS out.

Just today I had to stop to let another cat mosey across the road. I honked at it to try and scare it to discourage the cat from hanging around in the road.

My "solution" is just to take it slow (nothing over 25 mph) down the hill. I purposefully leave the house early every day to give myself enough time to get to work without rushing. When I go through the two small sections in which the cats are always out, I slow down even further and scan the road for cats starting to cross.

This is about all I can do. I am so thankful there have been no accidents. I don't know what I'd do about a wild animal, because there are no wildlife rehabbers where I live. Wildlife rehab is illegal in my state. Unfortunately, I'd have to just call the cops or animal control to come and shoot the animal.

I wish everyone was as considerate as you! What state do you live in? I've never heard of wildlife rehab being illegal.
#11 Old 10-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks...it's WV, http://www.hsus.org/press_and_public..._virginia.html

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

As nice as it sounds, it's not feasible for me. I have a 123 mile round trip commute, and 120 of that is on highway with a 70 speed limit. I could go the truck minimum of 55, but I don't think so. My drive time is long enough as is. And I can't drive 55
#13 Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Could you move? oh my god that kind of commute is my idea of hell.

Most "road trips" we go on, I spend most of the time in-car crying over the carnage that's on the road. One time a bird flew into the front of our car when we were in a 100 km/hr zone. I was devastated. I hoped we had missed him/her but we got home and the bird was stuck to the car. I don't know how it could have been avoided other than NOT driving down that road that day.

My only solution is to limit driving as much as I can (I hate driving anyway, for many reasons) and to focus very carefully on the road and side of the road.
#14 Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

On saturday I was round a friends house and apparently on the way there someone saw the car in front hit a sheep (tis a forest)... the car in front drove straight off, they stopped and watched the sheep for 30 seconds and said it was 'twitching' but didnt get out of the car and try help it either. that kinda annoyed me but really wtf DO you do at midnight on a saturday in a forest with a doomed sheep?!

that led onto a convo with someone else there, who a while ago saw the guy in front hit a dog. get out, check his bumper was ok then drive off again. the bloke i was talking to said the dog was squashed flat but he could still see the breath coming out of his nose so he slit the dogs throat. thanks for ruining my night X(

imagine what the owners would think if they found it! (i got told itd be better than them finding it with a bullet in its head and decided not to ask any further questions)

still, if it was unmoveable i guess that was the humanest thing to do =\\

nice convos to kill my party mood! That just reminded me of that. I dont drive so can't say ive had any experience (nor have i been with anyone thats hit something and im glad). </ramble>
#15 Old 10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I've hit a few birds, I'm often driving on bacl roads where there aren't many other cars to scare them off. I began by picking them up but they always died within 1/2 an hour, shock I guess. Now I have a much better strategy, I know where there are likely to be a lot of birds and drive a little slower in those areas and keep an eye out for them. I find that if I brake a little they can usually fly out of the way, they're pretty quick but I'm quicker if going anything over 100kms per hour.

Luckily for me I've never hit anything larger. I know a guy who was driving at night and reached the crest of a hill at which point he ran into a whole lot of cows who had escaped from their paddock and were sitting down on the road asleep. I think the car was written off and he lost consciousness during the accident. You can imagine the carnage when he woke up, I think he killed about 7 cows. I guess the road had warmed up during the day and was a nice warm place for the cows to sleep. Man that story really freaks me out.
#16 Old 10-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I hit a deer at 2am one night when I was a teenager (25 years ago). The animal fell on its side and slid out of view. It was such a shock that I didn't even think to stop - I was paralyzed. The cop got angry the next morning when we went to the police station to file a report for insurance purposes - he implied that we should have stopped. I'm afraid that the poor animal probably suffered before it died.
#17 Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I came so close to hitting a rabbit. Driving down my country road, less than a mile from my house after work, a rabbit darted out from nowhere. I slammed on the breaks and the rabbit went under the car. I was stunned, thinking I hit it. Suddenly, unharmed, the rabbit ran out from under my car into the grass on the side of the road. I have driven slower on that road ever since.
#18 Old 10-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i was a passenger in a car that hit a family of ducks on a highway.

we felt horrible.

i think that the squirls in my neighborhood might be suicidal.

i see them by the side of the road and they always try to cross the street right when my car gets close enough to hit them.they then stop right in front of the car when i stop to avoid them.
#19 Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Could you move? oh my god that kind of commute is my idea of hell.

I know. I'm amazed I have no problem doing it. I've never been one to like driving.

It's kind of hard to explain without going into major detail.

The basics: I only work 3 days a week. I subcontract with a company that pays me a travel stipend for every day I work. It's a substantial amount. If I move closer, I lose the travel stipend.

I admit. I do it for the money. But if it makes anyone feel better, I bought a hybrid a few months ago. :bats eyelashes:
#20 Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Luckily, I have never hit an animal. I've come close a couple times, but fortunately there have been no negative outcomes. If I were to hit an animal, I would my car over and stop to see if anything can be done. I hate it when people keep driving as if nothing happened.
#21 Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Dicentra View Post

Luckily, I have never hit an animal. I've come close a couple times, but fortunately there have been no negative outcomes. If I were to hit an animal, I would my car over and stop to see if anything can be done. I hate it when people keep driving as if nothing happened.

Hypothetically, you pull over and the animal is injured. You're an hour away from home. What do you do?
#22 Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I was driving to work one day and a tiny chipmunk ran right in front of my car. I had no time to react and I ran over him. I looked back and I saw him squashed on the road. I screamed out "****" much to the shock of the lady I carpool with. I got out and the chipmunk was dead and completely flattened. I felt terrible though.

Whenever I drive and I see an animal up ahead I always start to slow down. If I see a squirrel near the road I honk my horn and usually they run back. I hate seeing road kill.

Once on vacation in the Bahamas I saw a dog hit by a car and then run over by another car and it was still alive. A bunch of us went to it and carried it off the road and called animal services who picked it up. Sometimes I wish they could erect huge barriers on the sides of the roads to prevent animals from crossing but I guess that isn't feasible.
#23 Old 10-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I bet it IS feasible, but expensive and also people would complain that they want to see the scenery.

I'd gladly do without any scenery when driving if it saved lives.
#24 Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you folks swerve to miss hitting animals? The state highway patrol in my area recommends going straight and just hitting the deer if it's the only way to stay in your lane. This will reduce the chances of a head-on collision with an oncoming car, the patrol said.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#25 Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I hit a chipmunk once and felt like **** for days afterwards. I couldn't really swerve or I'd go into the bar ditch and there was no real way to stop after I hit it so I had to keep going. As I was driving on, I could see the thing rolling back and forth in the street in my rearview, obviously in pain.

Worst. Feeling. Ever.
#26 Old 10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Do you folks swerve to miss hitting animals? The state highway patrol in my area recommends going straight and just hitting the deer if it's the only way to stay in your lane. This will reduce the chances of a head-on collision with an oncoming car, the patrol said.

When I drive I am totally aware of my surrounding so I would swerve if there was no other car around. I also constantly check my rearview mirror in so I know whether or not it is safe to slam on my breaks.
#27 Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 AM

I recommend that people put deer whistles on their car, you can order them online if you can't find them locally and it's not very expensive. it keeps other animals like cats and dogs away too. I've never hit an animal before, but I've had to rescue many injured wild animals before. I just google where a local rehabilitator is and take the hurt animal to them. They're usually licensed individuals who do it out of their home as opposed to an organization. You could always call your vet and ask if they know of one too.
#28 Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 AM

The only animal I've hit was a raccoon and that was about 2 years ago. I was completely disgusted and I knew I killed it on impact because it wasn't moving after I drove away. What makes this story odd(for me) is that I had seen the animal in the middle of the road from about a quarter mile away and I had PLENTY of time to break. I breaked instantly when I saw it. The road was a 50 so I was going about 30 now thinking that the raccoon would see me and get out of the way. Instead, it planted it's four legs in a stiff stance and just stared at me. It had no idea what to do. At this point I was honking at it trying me best to get it out of the way. It dashes to the left, and I think he's gonna run back into the woods, BUT he makes a quick dash back towards the road and by this time I was only about 10 ft away from him going 25-30mph and it was too late. He disappeared under my car and the next thing I hear is a loud thump and I cringe in complete disgust and curse to myself repeatedly. I couldn't stop suddenly b/c the car behind me was bumper to bumper at this point and EXTREMELY pissed off at me. It was such a horrible feeling and from this day on whenever I see and animal in the road I break and honk REPEATEDLY until it goes away.
#29 Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Beginner

My mom hit a possum when I was in the car with her once, and I cried for about a half hour. She pulled over and we talked about it, I mean I understood that it was just an accident, it was just really upsetting.

I also saw a car in front of us hit a dog once- there were two dogs running on the side of the road and one of them jumped into the road. I cried then as well, I felt so bad for the dog's partner, who just stood on the side of the road and looked confused- I was hoping that he would not run into the road to check on his friend.

Luckily I have never hit an animal while I was driving myself though, and I hope I never do.
#30 Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I was riding along in a car as a passenger and we hit a dog. Got out and went after the injured dog, but couldn't catch si.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page