Your Vegan Holiday menus - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, so this is my very first vegan Thanksgiving & Christmas and I REALLY don't want to do some weird meat substitute thing. However I would love to have some ideas for a new vegan menu.

This time last year was when I actually reverted back to a meat eater, after being vegetarian for almost 6 months (I never truly understood the connection between food & traditions until then!!), but this year I have a new resolve and am not going back to my pre-veg. days.

But I would love to have a completely brand new menu to end my year!

So if you have a fav. way of fixing your favorite veggie or a favorite gravy recipe, I would REALLY love to hear about it! So, what is your favorite/special item you make JUST for the holidays or what does your usual holiday menu look like???

Thanks a bunch!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 AM

well, I do a vegan thanksgiving. it's buffet style because it's mostly friends that come over- not as formal as a tradish sit down dinner.

i do two stuffed squashes, cranberry sauce, wild rice and mushrooms, grilled asparagus, broccoli, roasted garden carrots, and rosemary roasted potatoes, and black bean and corn salad.

i might attempt a nut roast this year.

usually my friends will bring a fruit plate or dips and pita.
#3 Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

well, I do a vegan thanksgiving. it's buffet style because it's mostly friends that come over- not as formal as a tradish sit down dinner.

i do two stuffed squashes, cranberry sauce, wild rice and mushrooms, grilled asparagus, broccoli, roasted garden carrots, and rosemary roasted potatoes, and black bean and corn salad.

i might attempt a nut roast this year.

usually my friends will bring a fruit plate or dips and pita.

Wow! I wanna come to you house for the holidays!!! Your menu sounds awesome!!

Okay, so the first thing that caught my eye was the stuffed squashes, would you care to share the recipe for those? I LOVE anything with squash!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Michelle
#4 Old 10-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I did stuffed squash for last years thanksgiving! It was beautiful ^^ I used a recipe out of the Moosewood cookbook. I did find the stuffing a little dry, I'd prolly add a little veggie stock to moisen it up. This year I'm doing a 'weird meat substitute thing' made of wheat gluten. I'm doing it from scratch... in fact the seitan is boiling right now! I'll let you know how that turns out if you're interested.
#5 Old 10-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I made a nut roast last year. It was pretty good. I hope I can find the recipe. I want to try making a tofu turkey this year. The one where you press the tofu in a colander and stuff it.
#6 Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

So, what about your fav. veggie dish? Or even salads that you like to make this time of year?

Obviously I'm going to do the traditional green beans, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes & mushroom gravy, but I would love some new ideas to try out some new veggies in different ways! I'm thinking about something with some butternut squash or pumpkin? I would also like to maybe roast some veggies too??

As for the seitan thing, I've heard good things about it, I personally haven't eaten it yet, but would like to try it sometime I just don't know if it's something I'd want to try out for Thanksgiving or Christmas, kwim? But defiantely come back and let us know how it turns out, I would like to know how long it takes for you to fix it & if it's something that I could make later.

Thanks for taking the time to post, I'm always interested in what other vegans serve for meals, especially this time of year!

Michelle
#7 Old 10-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

A side dish (not really a vegetable though): I made Braided Sweet Potato Bread today. I had to add about two extra cups of flour, but everybody LOVED it.
#8 Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 PM

so far I am having mixed greens--turnip greens and collard greens. My vegetable garden of greens is doing great this year. I am going to get more ideas from everyone here.

I have to work on Thanksgiving and the hospital is going to serve the traditional meal.......so I will have to bring in something good.
#9 Old 10-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Beginner

http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/

Dreena just posted a delicious soup recipe in her blog that looks perfect for the holidays!
#10 Old 10-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Beginner

Oh, and does anyone have a good recipe for gravy??
#11 Old 10-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm hosting Thanksgiving for my parents and siblings and my bf's parents and brother. I know my family doesn't expect meat, and I know his family knows I don't cook meat, but I'm not entirely sure they've realized it's going to be vegetarian unless someone else decides to bring a turkey. (Which really, is ok with me, as long as I don't have to deal with it at all)

My menu, so far, is:

Seitan Roulade stuffed with a Walnut Pear stuffing

Vegetarian stuffing

Cornbread

Pumpkin Soup

Butternut squash risotto

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Other green veggies to be determined later (possibly green beans and almonds, or some steamed broccoli... perhaps also, not green, but cinnamon apple glazed baby carrots)

Sweet potato and apple bake

Citrus flavoured cranberry sauce with apple bits (mellows out the cranberry tartness)

Gravy

Then for dessert..

definitely an apple pie and pecan pie... possibly a sweet potato pie as well

OH and for appetizers..

I'm going to bake a nice Boule (round loaf of bread)

Have cheese and crackers (for those who eat cheese)

Fresh fruit

Crudite

I may make a 3 layered vegetable pate I saw in a cookbook.. it looks awesome.. it's mushroom, spinach and tomato I believe.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 10-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to stuff a pumpkin with cornbread stuffing and I'm also going to make mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, roasted butternut squash, homemade rolls, and something green (don't know what yet, it depends on what I get from my CSA farm that week.)

For desert I plan on making an apple pie and some fudge.

My husband is insisting on having a turkey on the table so I'm going to buy a pre-cooked one that I can just heat up.
#13 Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! RabidChild you ARE going all out!!! I would love your recipe for sweet potatoe & apple bake, that sounds REALLY yummy!!!

SouthernVegan, I do have a recipe around here somewhere for a vegan mushroom gravy, although I haven't made it myself yet, when I find it, I'll come back here and post it for you!

Cringe that Braided Sweet Potatoe bread sounds awesome!!! I am not however a very good bread maker, but this would be worth a try for me! Thanks for the tip about the extra flour!

I'm thinking this year, I'll let my hubby work out whatever he wants to do about his meat dish. Whatever he buys, he makes. I'm really not trying to sound b*tchy, but it'll work out better for us all! He can have what he wants however he wants it, and I don't have to worry about handling the meat!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Michelle
#14 Old 10-08-2006, 08:40 PM

as far as stuffed squash, just use any stuffing recipe that appeals to you- there's a lot on Vegweb. put it in the squash and bake. waalah.
#15 Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Beginner

mm..cornbread stuffing. I <3 it, but have a hard time finding a vegan one.
#16 Old 10-10-2006, 06:31 PM

Last year I made squash stuffed with a wild rice/brown rice/red bean/black bean "stuffing." It was pretty good, but not very many of my family members ate any. I also made mushroom-dill gravy, which had a much better reception.

This year I'm spending Thanksgiving with future in-laws, and since I feel the need to impress, my contribution to the meal is going to be a pink rice pilaf. Also, it's going to be the only thing there for me to eat, since they all love turkey and ham and butter and marshmallows and jello.
#17 Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

These recipies all sound quite delicious. It is always better to celebrate holidays without taking the life of other sentient creatures. The stuffed squash sounds particularly enticing.
#18 Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Mushroom Gravy for the holidays! Sorry, SouthernVegan that it's taken me so long to post this! I'm not sure why it's titled as it is, but it sounded really yummy to me!

http://www.deliciouslivingmag.com/re...ls&recipeID=11

HTH,

Michelle
#19 Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 AM

Every time I visit this site I want to eat everything you guys are talking about. Only I wish it would just magically materialize so I don't actually have to cook it.

I found a recipe for homemade cranberry sauce a few years ago, and it's really tasty and easy to make (and not scary like the stuff in the can!) so I thought I'd share. Plus it's kinda fun because the cranberries pop and then you get to squish them. [edit: Unfortunately because I'm new, VB won't let me post the URL. If you want the recipe, PM me and I'll send it to you.]

And I guess this is more of an activity suggestion than a recipe, but my friends and I have a big Thanksgiving dinner every year, and create a "mashed potato bar" with every kind of mashed potato we can dream up (regular, dirty, butter, cheese, broccoli, bacon, garlic, Guinness, etc.). It's really fun and silly, and doesn't involve a lot of advanced cooking skills (i.e., good for a party). This is my umpteenth Thanksgiving as a vegetarian, but my first as a vegan too, so there will be some additions this year.
#20 Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 PM

I always google in good vegan pumpkin pie recipes and I always find them. At whole foods they carry a new vegan whip to top the pies with. Im gonna go check it out
#21 Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

Mushroom Gravy for the holidays! Sorry, SouthernVegan that it's taken me so long to post this! I'm not sure why it's titled as it is, but it sounded really yummy to me!

http://www.deliciouslivingmag.com/re...ls&recipeID=11

HTH,

Michelle

Yumm. Thanks! I think Im also going to trt the Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy form VWAV. It looks.sounds so yummy!
#22 Old 10-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Beginner

We went to a family dinner the other night and I brought some of the meals that I'll be bringing for our Thanksgiving. It was a good thing I brought something too or my daughter and I would have been stuck eating only steamed broccoli and carrots. I made pumpkin stuffed with cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes (made with potatoes, turnips and garlic), pumpkin scones and cornbread. I'll probably add a fruit salad, gravy and a green salad for Thanksgiving.
#23 Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Since I will be eating several places.. I think I will make a good vegan dinner for myself! Probably...

1. Stuffed baby eggplant with beans and tofu

2. Mashed yams

3. grilled mushrooms and carrots (w/BBQ sauce)

4. some fresh peppers w/macaroni noodles and vinagerette dressing

5. chocolate silk pie w/ice cream

6. Baked apples with raisins

7. Stuffing

I am so hungry now. wow. maybe I'll even have some tofurkey. dang.. *drools*

#24 Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's my gravy recipe:

Fry 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms in margarine. Set aside. In the same pan, cook diced carrots, celery, onions and garlic in margarine until very brown. Add a cup of wine. Scrape up tasty bits and simmer until reduced by half. Add 2 cups vegetarian chicken broth. Simmer until flavourful -- you're going to toss the veggies, so get the flavour out. Strain. Make a roux with 2 Tbsp. margarine and 3 Tbsp. flour. Add the stock and a cup or so of water. Bring to a simmer. Add the mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer if it's too thin, add some water if it's too thick.

Browning the vegetables makes a huge difference in the colour and taste of the gravy.
#25 Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 PM

My siblings and I always go to my Mom's for holidays, and she always cooks a feast (after warning us "not to expect much this year" - lol, she's so sweet). My brothers love meat, so she'll cook a turkey or some lamb, but she always makes a veggie main dish for me (and this year, one brother's veg*n fiancee!)and tons of veggie sides. She makes a wicked pie crust, and I love savoury pies, so this year (for Canadian Thanksgrubbing) it was a lentil-coconut-curry pot-pie with half-whole-wheat crust. Sooo good with cranberry sauce or homemade chutney. She also cooked some stuffing outside the turkey for the veg*ns. The rest of the menu included: turkey and gravy (for the boys), mashed potatoes, mashed turnip, steamed brussels sprouts, roasted carrots, parsnips and yams, steamed green beans, sauteed oyster mushrooms with onion, raw apple cider, baguette with cheese and hot artichoke dip, tons of fresh fruit, and pumpkin pie with maple whipped cream. And yes, we were stuffed (and all took leftovers home - starving students, you know).

Don't you wish you all had my mother? And to think she went so far as to apologize for forgetting to make veg*n mushroom gravy! I'll ask her for recipes if anybody likes. Can't wait to see what she does for Christmas; previous years have been amazing...

(And yes, we all helped chop veggies and clean up. Good little boys and girls.)
#26 Old 10-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

The lentil-curry savoury pie sounds very yummy. I might like to try something similar. Could you round up the recipe for that?

And the pie crust too. I make several pie crusts that I'm happy with, but another recipe in my collection never hurts.
#27 Old 10-18-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

The lentil-curry savoury pie sounds very yummy. I might like to try something similar. Could you round up the recipe for that?

And the pie crust too. I make several pie crusts that I'm happy with, but another recipe in my collection never hurts.

Yup, I'll check with her. She's a real "motherly" mother, so she'll be happy that someone wants her recipe. Probably will have it in a few days.
#28 Old 10-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=enigma]Yup, I'll check with her. She's a real "motherly" mother, so she'll be happy that someone wants her recipe. Probably will have it in a few days.[/QUOTE

Hurry! I'm getting hungrier by the minute!
#29 Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post

I'll ask her for recipes if anybody likes. Can't wait to see what she does for Christmas; previous years have been amazing...

Oh yes! Please ask her! I am a brand new (very brand new-- like this week) vegan and with Christmas coming up so soon, I am really going to need something great to have for my meal! Cutting out meat was no problem at all for me, but being a vegan is a lot more difficult... However, I won't go back, and I just wish I had done this earlier.
#30 Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 AM

Have emailed Mom for the recipe; she is super-busy right now but I'm sure she'll send it when she has time. Her home-made chutney is also orgasmic; famous in our community. Time-consuming to make but I'll try to coax that recipe from her as well, if anyone wants - goes great with savoury pies and other holiday entrees, as well in pasta, sandwiches, soup and mashed potatoes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page