Vegan Halloween Candy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2006, 07:18 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion for vegan halloween candy to give out on halloween? I was thinking if I can't find any good candy, that i would get little halloween toys from Oriental Trading to give out.

I am still new being vegan and have not figured out everything to look out for in packaged foods.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.vegfamily.com/lists/vegan-candy.htm also places like foodfight sells all kinds of vegan junkfood.
#3 Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

sorry also if you can find them http://www.peanutchewsstore.com/index.tpl the origanl peanut chews are like a vegan snicker bar watch out for the ones in the blue wrapper though those have milk in them
#4 Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a list of vegan candy: http://www.petakids.com/candy.html

Yay! Jolly Ranchers is on the list!
#5 Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

"Gelatin—Rhymes with "skeleton." Coincidence? I think not"

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Where are THEY From?! Wierd accent.

ps. do jolly ranchers still exist in engerland? i used to love the watermelon ones!
#6 Old 10-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought Laffy Taffy to hand out. It's vegan according to PETA. I went to their "I can't believe it's vegan page. I looked at snacks and decided from that and adds from my newspaper. Good luck!!
#7 Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

"GelatinRhymes with "skeleton." Coincidence? I think not"

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Where are THEY From?! Wierd accent.

ps. do jolly ranchers still exist in engerland? i used to love the watermelon ones!

How do you say it? I'm from Canada and it's always rhymed with skeleton!
#8 Old 10-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Jell - a - tin

Skell-a-tn

Londoner!
#9 Old 10-08-2006, 06:59 PM

Other people suggested good candies, so I won't repeat. But don't forget raisins! I always loved getting those in my candy bag. Such a nice change of pace from solid sugar. And little toys/erasers/etc. are always fun.
#10 Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

On the bottom of their page of vegan candy and accidently vegan foods it says:

* Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends manufacturers the message that there is no market for that particular food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please visit http://www.caringconsumer.com/labels.html.

I guess it depends on how "hardcore" you are.
#11 Old 10-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
* Items listed may contain trace amounts of animal-derived ingredients. While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends manufacturers the message that there is no market for that particular food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please visit http://www.caringconsumer.com/labels.html.

Big to that. I hadn't seen that link before, but that's the exact philosophy I'm always pushing on these boards.

And to those that recommend apples and raisins and blocks of tofu, I say phooeh... Kids hate getting that stuff, and it goes in the trash as soon as they get home.
#12 Old 10-09-2006, 12:53 AM

I think handing out commercially-prepared (not homemade) packaged vegan snack items with the word "vegan" printed on the packaging is the best way to go. All elementary school I was given those little red boxes of raisins, but I never heard the term "vegan" until I was in Grade 7. Those Sun Ripe or whatever brand it is boxes don't have the word "vegan" on them.

For the last two Hallowe'ens I have handed out items like this. Yes, it is expensive, which is why I am understanding of those of you on tight budgets. But for those of you who do have a lot of money, I think it is a good form of activism. I took a photo of the items I gave out last year, and these are what some of them were (I was in a rush so I wasn't able to photograph all of them) (yes, these cost me a lot of money):

Tasty Eats soy jerky - original flavour

Tropical Source - Mint Crunch dark chocolate bar

Tropical Source - Rice Crisp dark chocolate bar

Tropical Source - Raspberry dark chocolate bar

ReBar - original

ReBar - seeds 'n greens

LaraBar - apple pie

Vega - berry flavour bar

Vega - chocolate flavour bar

ThinkOrganic! - cherry nut bar

ThinkOrganic! - chocolate coconut bar

Organic Food Bar - omega-3 flax

But it's possible that some of those companies have changed their packaging or have even gone out of business. So go to the health food store yourself and search for the "vegan" label yourself; don't just blindly follow what I say.

Unfortunately I can't do it this year because I'm unemployed and I don't have any money in the bank. Hopefully next year I will be able to purchase some Macadamia Nougat's that are the size of a thimble ("wee bite")and individually wrapped with the UK Vegan Society symbol (a sunflower) on the front real big http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/nougatweebite.html , as well as Betty Lou's all-organic bars (Nutty Delight, Berry Berry, and http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/energybars.html Chocolate Tangerine http://www.veganstore.com/index-stor...temsperpage=12 I think these are some of the best because the word "vegan" is in big letters relative to the size of the package. Other vegan snack items just had the word "vegan" printed in tiny letters on the back. Most kids wouldn't bother to read every single word on a package, they would just tear open the stuff in a frenzy. Big and noticeable. Maybe some of the smarter kids would think, "vegan, what's that?" and type it into the internet search engine or look it up in a dictionary to fulfill their curiosity. Some parents might see the word "vegan" on the stuff and do the same. So, even if the kids have no interest in converting to veganism, maybe you'll be successful at converting some parents (or anyone else at the home when the kids are emptying their pillow cases).

I understand that some people can only afford to buy small candies (like the wee bite nougats), but if you can afford it, I think there is a benefit activism-wise to handing out full-size bars that cost at least like $3 each. Kids gossip with each other, so they might tell other kids they see in their neighbourhood that night to go over to your house because they know you're handing out lots of stuff and not small disappointing stuff like one mint that restaurants often give out when they hand you the bill, or on hotel pillows. I remember when I was in elementary school, I ran into some of my classmates trick-or-treating and a few of them were talking about how this one house was handing out full-size Oh Henry! bars. They were like, "Go to that house, because you'll get a big Oh Henry! bar, and not those dinky little bite-sized/pocket-sized versions of the Oh Henry! bar".

The last two years I tried to give three items to each kid, because I was worried that if I just gave one item and that item tasted disgusting to the kid, then they'd think all vegan food tastes gross just based on that one item. But the more items I gave, the less of the chance that all the items taste disgusting. So they might think, "Well, the vegan bar tasted gross, but the vegan jerky was delicious! Not all vegan food is gross!"

Another alternative are Chimp Mints, which are about 1 inch by 1 inch. They are connected to Jane Goodall I think, and have a little photograph of a chimp inside. More of a preservation of endangered species (ie. environmentalist) promoter than an animal cruetly thing, but the kids might become more aware of chimps, and maybe feel a bit more sympathy towards them.
#13 Old 10-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Anybody know of a vegan candy corn? This is the thing I miss the most. They all have egg whites in them.
#14 Old 10-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

the type made by jelly belly is not vegan as it has beeswax but that is the only non-vegan ingrediant in it. Perhaps we should start a letter writing campaign to get them to change to caraba wax or some other vegan wax? http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US...lly/Contact+Us
#15 Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, unfortunately there have been many candy corn threads on VB, but it seems there are absolutely no vegan candy corns in existence. There are several brands that are vegetarian (do not contain gelatin), but they all seem to contain honey, beeswax, or some other animal derived ingredient. :-(
#16 Old 10-21-2006, 07:44 AM

I believe that the Trebor Allan candies are vegan (fuzzy peaches, cherry blasters, sour patch kids, and swedish berries). There isn't anything on the label that looks non vegan to me, but it depends on how far you'll go with sugar I guess.
#17 Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! This has been really helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page