Study Abroad - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Where to study abroad?
Australia 0 0%
Oxford 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
England/Ireland 0 0%
China 0 0%
Uganda 0 0%
Middle East 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Latin America 0 0%
Study Abroad in the US - Or just not at all. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

If your had the chance to spend a couple weeks to a few months studying abroad, which of these places would you go?

Would you do something with your major, something of interest, or just go to a place you have always wanted to go?

http://www.bestsemester.com

Australia: Semester at Wesley Institute - narrowed toward art students but anyone is welcome

Oxford: Semester of studies at Oxford - narrowed towards honor students and students of Classics, English & Literature, Theology & Religious Studies, Philosophy, and History

Japan: Summer in Japan - Requires a semester taking Japanese beforehand - Narrowed towards education students but anyone is welcome - spend time in japanese classrooms helping teaching kids english

England/Ireland - Three weeks learning and viewing the areas of england and ireland - open to all students.

also available are

China - Semester - Learn chinese/teach orphanage kids english / intern with an international business in shanghi - narrowed toward business students but open to all.

Uganda - Semester - Open to all

Middle East - Based in Cairo - Semester - Open to all

Russia - semester - open to all - spend time with russian family

Latin America - semester - open to all - spend time with latin american family

--------

LA - Semester at LA Film Studies - narrowed toward film students

American Studies - Washington DC - government students

Contemporary Music Center (CMC) on Martha's Vineyard - music students

Washington Journalism Center - DC - journalism students
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Multiple Choice Poll -

I myself am debating the first four, but which would you take?

oh and the Japan trip gives you 50 viewing hours for education majors on top of semester credits and other stuff.
#3 Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

so i just read some more info about these and WOW oxford sounds..... amazing.

Screw a semester I want to finish school there, lol.
#4 Old 09-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably China or Russia. I've always wanted to go to St. Petersburg. China is appealing simply because it's undergoing SO much change right now. I'd love to be a resident observer for a while.
#5 Old 09-09-2006, 09:35 AM

Japan or China.
#6 Old 09-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oxford - Philosophy
#7 Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

China would also be an interesting experience, for the reason Amy mentioned, and the teaching experience in Japan would be cool, if you're heading towards a teaching career.

I have a friend who is doing his MPhil at Oxford and he has been having an amazing experience. One thing to bear in mind is that aside from tuition and such, England is quite expensive compared to the U.S. Not only is the pound strong against the dollar right now, but stuff just flat out costs more.
#8 Old 09-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd choose Oxford because it's so close to the rest of Europe and you could have many different types of adventures over the course of the semester.
#9 Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I just have always wanted to go Australia since I was like 3
#10 Old 09-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

No option for Canada?

I chose Japan, Australia and China. My sister studied abroad in Australia and loved it.
#11 Old 09-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd hop on board for Russia. Egypt sounds pretty interesting too. Uganda would be eye opening. Latin America is on my top ten travel list. Oh Hell, they're all great.

What are you studying in university?

Also, I have a preference toward self-guided tourism, so any of the options that are too "planned" would be out in my book.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 09-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I choose Russia or the US mainly because I just want to go to those countries!

I actually wouldn't want to study abroad, doing nursing anyway, because it's damn hard enough doing it here.. add in not knowing anyone, and the fact that there's no way I could afford that!!

OH and that due to different countries regulations I don't know if my qualifications would actually be recognized when I got back here!!! And would then have to do another course..

So yeah flag!
#13 Old 09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

What are you studying in university?

Major 1: Physics/Mathematics

Major 2: Electronic Engineering

Minor 1: Creative Writing

well technically right now its a BA/BS program, so its a double bachelors.

although I'm highly considering to change it to:

Major 1: Physics/Math

Minor 1: Creative Writing

Minor 2: Fine Arts

Minor 3: Philosophy

Or making philosophy the major and moving physics to a minor.

I think I'm going to try to get the Oxford program, but its for upper classmen honors only - So I guess we'll see. Maybe I could do two...
#14 Old 09-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Arent you in england Iamjen? If I end up going, I'll be looking for some people around the UK I can crash at after/before the semester starts that could show me around. Payment would be witty sarcastic entertainment and veggie recipes... so if you know anyone or.. <cough>. :-p

wouldnt be till summer/fall 08 though.

They all DO sound really cool though.
#15 Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i am surprised by all of the votes for japan and china....

those are two places that i would not go to...

i voted for england/ireland, though any of the others (besides the afore mentioned) would be great.
#16 Old 09-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

why not japan or china, pgor?
#17 Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

why not japan or china, pgor?

sorry, OA - just saw your question!!

No other reason than those two countries hold no personal appeal to me- I don't have any big reasons why - they just don't? In speaking with people about travelling abroad - China and Japan are the least two mentioned, that is why I was surprised by all the votes here for them. Although- it does reaffirm my belief that the people on this board are very diverse- which is a good thing.

I should not say I would never go there to visit - mayhap that there are just other places I would visit first.

After re-reading my original post, I see how it rings of negativity.... sorry, was just in a crap mood that day!
#18 Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

The four that you're debating on are the ones that appeal the least to me. Uganda would be my first choice, followed by Egypt, Latin America, and China. Manily to experience the cultural differences.
#19 Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 AM

I'd like to add Latin America to my votes.

It would be a lot of fun to communicate with native Spanish speakers again. When I went to Spain, the people there were more focused on impressing me with their English skills than letting me practice my Spanish!
#20 Old 09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I would love to travel to all of those countries, but to study, I would pick Australia or England/Ireland. I have been to those countries and toured some of the schools. I think I would have an easier time focusing on coursework than I would in a "more" foreign (ie: non- english speaking/place I had never been to) country. I would be distracted by trying to see as much as I could and learn as much as I could about the culture.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#21 Old 09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Latin America, then China.

I second what veggiejanie said. My study abroad experience taught me what I should and should not do in a future study abroad trip to get the most out of it.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#22 Old 09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Baby Love

I did a summer semester in China for architecture. It was amazing and I want to go back. I'd always had an interest in Asia, plus I wanted to take advantage of the travel to experience some place completely different than what I was used to. That was back in 1999, but you could definately see the contrast between the ancient ways and their strive to westernize. While you can see the variety from city to city, some cities like Beijing show the entire spectrum from traditional to western. Modern amenities are nice, but it was sad ... and scary to see the changes. Can you imagine 1+ billion people driving cars there? Yikes. Just with bikes, the streets were full.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page