so sad [injured seagull in parking lot] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

tonight around 6 pm my friend Gen called me, frantic, because she had just found an injured seagull in the parking lot of Home Depot. His wing was almost fully detached. Her car is dead, so she needed me to come and get him, and take him to the bird sanctuary. Unfortunately it was closed though, so I would have to leave him there in a box. But his wing was so badly injured I knew he couldn't wait.

I went and picked him up (she lives about half an hour away) and called my neighbour Pat who called some other people and got the name and phone number of the founder of the sanctuary. When I got home we called Kathy, the founder, and she agreed to take the gull in and see if there was anything she could do or if he would have to be euthanized. At the very least she would take him into her care.

So we drove there (another half hour away) and took him in, but sadly, he had passed away during the car ride there. She said his wing was so badly injured there would have been no way to save him; he was likely run over by a car. He was such a sweet gull, didn't make a peep through all of it.

I just got home, and I am so sad tonight for him, but glad that he at least died in the presence of somebody who desperately wanted to save his life, not in a parking lot after maybe being run over again or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't get yourself down about it. At least you made an effort to save the bird. Hang in there.
#3 Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Ankle Biter

Hey - you did good.

Rest in peace, sweet gull.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#4 Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

You did way more than most others would have done. And I think he probably knew you were trying to help.

I found a dove in my yard a few weeks back that had tape stuck around it's head, covering it's eyes. So I pulled the tape off, feeling pretty happy that I could help him. I expected him to then fly off but he started walking across the yard and before I could even move to grab her, my little husky killed him.
#5 Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

good for you! you did great... sorry it didn't turn out perfect... but you made it better....
#6 Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that is sad. Sorry.
#7 Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah i know i did all i could. the bird woman said she wished there were more people who would go to such lengths.

I just feel so sad for him.
#8 Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

oh and sorry about the vague thread title... i was pretty upset when i posted last night and didn't really put much thought into the title.
#9 Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

I don't know weather to cry because of how sad the story is or because of how much better it was for her to pass in the car. You did good! Wish there would be more people who would begin the journey to human decency.

Ironically "One Last Breath" by Creed just came onto my play list as i read this post, its not helping out the water works.

Hopefully your feeling better meatless.
#10 Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel a bit better this morning... still teary and stuff. But I know that I can help animals more if I am strong. It's quite the conundrum we face as AR/AW veg*ns... it's our compassion and love for animals that drive us to want to help them, but it's also what makes it so hard.
#11 Old 08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry. I had a sad bird incident a few days ago too. I was just getting out of the pool when I heard a THWACK behind me. I turned around and saw a little bird in the water. I swum to the bird as fast as I could and picked him up out of the water. He just laid in my hand and closed his eyes. He was so tiny, I guess his lungs just filled up in a matter of seconds.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page