Which income quintile are you in? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What is your household income?
Lowest Fifth: Less than $18,500 0 0%
Second Fifth: $18,500 - $34,738 0 0%
Middle Fifth: $34,738 - $55,331 0 0%
Fourth Fifth: $55,331 - $88,030 0 0%
Highest Fifth: More than $88,030 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-04-2006, 05:34 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i dont know, this poll is a little funky. someone could live in the third and be alot worse off than i, because they have tons of kids or something.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

One of them.
#33 Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

i dont know, this poll is a little funky. someone could live in the third and be alot worse off than i, because they have tons of kids or something.

you have to spend the money on something, even if it is retirement or charity. we all make different choices but income really determines what choices you have.
#34 Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a good point.
#35 Old 08-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

2/5. Lower middle class. Pshaw. I make more money alone by myself than 28% of the households in the US. Word.
#36 Old 08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

I totally agree with that. Kids are one of the biggest income eaters I know of.
#37 Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

kids, and boats.

#38 Old 08-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

2/5. Lower middle class. Pshaw. I make more money alone by myself than 28% of the households in the US. Word.

True but those aren't really two earner households. The mean number of wage earners in the lowest quintile is 0, for the second and third quintiles, 1 and for the fourth and fifth quintile 2. So number of earners in the household actually drives which income class you are in more than anything, including education. I believe only 12% of top quintile households have single wage earners so only about 2.4% of the population makes 88k or more as individuals.
#39 Old 08-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

kids, and boats.

at least boats are fun and don't poop
#40 Old 08-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned

>>So number of earners in the household actually drives which income class you are in more than anything, including education.>>

If we assume quintiles as a good operationalization of class.

From other perspectives, it is useful to look at the top percentile or upper 5th, etc.

ebola
#41 Old 08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>So number of earners in the household actually drives which income class you are in more than anything, including education.>>

If we assume quintiles as a good operationalization of class.

From other perspectives, it is useful to look at the top percentile or upper 5th, etc.

ebola

Not from the perspective of a veggieboards poll. I suppose there are a handful of upper 5th households represented here. I think that is somewhere in the ballpark of 140K but I doubt there are any top percentile households represented here.
#42 Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

>>I doubt there are any top percentile households represented here.>>

Well, if we are completely ignorant of the relevant factors, we must assume that the chance is 1 in 100 that a particular voter is of the top percentile. As of now, 52 have voted.

What I meant, is that I don't think quintiles are useful for looking at the capitalist class in comparison to other classes.

ebola
#43 Old 08-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I would be in that upper 5th if I still lived at home.

I wish I still got an allowance.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#44 Old 08-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned

I'm in the 4/5. But I have no children, i'm comfortable, I have more than I need, and I only work 24 hours a week.
#45 Old 08-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw jess View Post

I'm in the 4/5. But I have no children, i'm comfortable, I have more than I need, and I only work 24 hours a week.

<<<<< a little jealous

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#46 Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I would be middle if I lived by myself but since I am married and my husband also makes a good income we are in the highest.
#47 Old 08-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a little confused. First of all, if you are in a two-income household do you use the mean of the two incomes to determine which quintile you're in?

Also, doesn't geography matter? I mean, I live quite comfortably in Tucson, AZ and was able to buy a house with my modest income. I have friends in NY and CA, however, who make more than I do but their cost of living is much higher. My brother in CT paid at least 3 times the amount that I did for his house and the houses are similar in size. So someone in Middleofnowheresville in middle America could be "middle class" making the same amount as a poor person in San Francisco, no?
#48 Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

>>Also, doesn't geography matter?>>

yes, it does. Statistics built out of income in comparison to some cost of living index are harder to find though.

ebola
#49 Old 08-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I'm a little confused. First of all, if you are in a two-income household do you use the mean of the two incomes to determine which quintile you're in?

The sum/

Quote:
Also, doesn't geography matter? I mean, I live quite comfortably in Tucson, AZ and was able to buy a house with my modest income. I have friends in NY and CA, however, who make more than I do but their cost of living is much higher. My brother in CT paid at least 3 times the amount that I did for his house and the houses are similar in size. So someone in Middleofnowheresville in middle America could be "middle class" making the same amount as a poor person in San Francisco, no?

Thats another choice. For most people, populated coastal areas are more enjoyable to live in. That is reflected in the price.
#50 Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

The sum/

Thats another choice. For most people, populated coastal areas are more enjoyable to live in. That is reflected in the price.

Many people are born poor or working class in NYC or L.A. They didn't choose to live there because they find coastal areas enjoyable to live in.
#51 Old 08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The sum/

Really? Because if it's the sum, my bf and I are in the highest quintile, which makes no sense since we aren't anyone's idea of rich. Well, maybe by the standards of developing nations we are rich, but certainly not by American standards. I'm a community college teacher and he's a librarian. How could we possible be in the highest quintile?
#52 Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw jess View Post

#53 Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

>>Really? Because if it's the sum, my bf and I are in the highest quintile, which makes no sense since we aren't anyone's idea of rich. Well, maybe by the standards of developing nations we are rich, but certainly not by American standards. I'm a community college teacher and he's a librarian. How could we possible be in the highest quintile?>>

This just goes to show that the average American household is poorer than you think.

>>

Many people are born poor or working class in NYC or L.A. They didn't choose to live there because they find coastal areas enjoyable to live in.>>

This is a good point. In some cases, locale is choice, in others, constraint. Thus, neither statistical method of assessing class can be entirely appropriate in all cases.

ebola
#54 Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Location is a major factor, too. Were my present house back where I grew up, it'd be worth maybe 40% of what it is here.

I'm in the fifth.
#55 Old 08-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Really? Because if it's the sum, my bf and I are in the highest quintile, which makes no sense since we aren't anyone's idea of rich. Well, maybe by the standards of developing nations we are rich, but certainly not by American standards. I'm a community college teacher and he's a librarian. How could we possible be in the highest quintile?

Pretty much anyone can accomplish relocation to a lower COL area if they chose. The people living in big cities are choosing to be there, even if they ***** about it.
#56 Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

Because you make as much as or more than 80 percent of households.

It really is the sum, I'm well qualified to interpret census bureau summary statistics.
#57 Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Pretty much anyone can accomplish relocation to a lower COL area if they chose. The people living in big cities are choosing to be there, even if they ***** about it.

If I were a homeless person, I think I'd rather live in a city than in the country. More warm vents in the winter, more opportunities in general. Unless, of course, I chose to be homeless and were going for the freegan-off-the-grid thang.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#58 Old 08-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

If I were a homeless person, I think I'd rather live in a city than in the country. More warm vents in the winter, more opportunities in general. Unless, of course, I chose to be homeless and were going for the freegan-off-the-grid thang.

Well, homeless people aren't members of households so they aren't relevent to the discussion of whether or not we should consider households living in high COL areas to be penalized by that high COL.
#59 Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Pretty much anyone can accomplish relocation to a lower COL area if they chose.

True, though often with a concomitant lowering of SOL through lessened earning potential.
#60 Old 08-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

True, though often with a concomitant lowering of SOL through lessened earning potential.

yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side

Thats why I like medium COL Portland, I can whine about how people on both sides have it better than me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page