Flip Flops = Big Ouchie! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive never worn flip flops because every time I try on a pair, the thong that wedges between the big toe and the second toe really hurts. My daughter lives in flip flops and said I just need to wear them for a while to get used to them.

Well, Ive been wearing them around the house for the past few days, and I cant see getting used to having something wedged so painfully between my toes!

Does anyone else wear these things? Do you find them comfortable? Do they take getting used to? Are you a masochist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I wear them all the time. Your daughter is right. They just need "break in" time.
#3 Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Some of them are comfy and some aren't, it really depends on the material and the shape of the thong itself.

I can only wear a really really soft one, not one made out of plastic or something equally hard and scratchy!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#4 Old 08-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

My daughter told me not to buy the foam ones because they break down easily and then won't be very cushy after that happens.

I've tried on a million pairs. None of them are comfortable. At least not between my toes. The ones I bought are plastic and are comfortable otherwise. I got them from New York and Co.

Synergy, what material are the ones you wear made from? And what do you mean by the "shape of the thong"?
#5 Old 08-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I'm another flip-flop hater. They HURT my toesies! I'm not interested in wearing a shoe that needs "break-in" time. IME, that's generally BS. In my teens, I suffered through so many pairs of shoes that I thought "just needed to be broken in" that never ever got any more comfortable... I learned my lesson. If it's not comfortable the first day, back to the store it goes.

Plus, I hate the noise. SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! When I was a kid, we called them "slaps."
#6 Old 08-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Why bother? Flip flops are a completely ridiculous fashion craze. THey will go the way of the slap bracelet. Why on EARTH are BATH SHOES considered proper office attire? Flip flops were created to prevent transfer of foot diseases when showering in a college dorm shower, public pool shower, or other places where showers are "public" or your feet need other protection. I don't know about you, but foot attire created with that in mind does not appeal to me for day-to-day wear.
#7 Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Why on EARTH are BATH SHOES considered proper office attire?

I've always considered them beach shoes rather than bath shoes, but I totally agree with you. I don't take issue with flip-flops at the pool, beach, park, grocery store, or even the mall or around town, but wearing them to work in a professional environment is just wildly inappropriate. But then, I think a lot of the things women wear to work are inappropriate. If I were in charge, everyone would hate me.
#8 Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

I’ve never worn flip flops because every time I try on a pair, the thong that wedges between the big toe and the second toe really hurts. My daughter lives in flip flops and said I just need to wear them for a while to get used to them.

Well, I’ve been wearing them around the house for the past few days, and I can’t see getting used to having something wedged so painfully between my toes!

Does anyone else wear these things? Do you find them comfortable? Do they take getting used to? Are you a masochist?

you would hate the ones I wear:

http://beech.meridian1.net/Images/Pr...Large/1090.JPG

they have a thong between every toe! they are really comfy.

maybe you should try Earth shoes or Birki style ortho shoes instead?

actually, I practice Muay Thai Kickboxing and swordfighting so maybe i am a masochist.
#9 Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No offense, but those just seem to be painful.

Don't insult the flip-flops!

Mine are made of cloth between the toes, and I wear them all the time. I don't notice any pain, however my gripe about them is that they always flop off your feet.
#10 Old 08-01-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megveggie View Post

No offense, but those just seem to be painful.

Don't insult the flip-flops!

Mine are made of cloth between the toes, and I wear them all the time. I don't notice any pain, however my gripe about them is that they always flop off your feet.

they are the most comfy flips I have ever owned.
#11 Old 08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

And I bet they don't fall off nearly as easily,either. That's my other problem with flip-flops (and really with any shoe that doesn't have a closed or strapped heel). They're always coming off while I'm walking.
#12 Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 AM

No, I don't like flipflops..and I dont really see why everyone is wearing them
#13 Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My daughter told me not to buy the foam ones because they break down easily and then won't be very cushy after that happens.

I've tried on a million pairs. None of them are comfortable. At least not between my toes. The ones I bought are plastic and are comfortable otherwise. I got them from New York and Co.

Synergy, what material are the ones you wear made from? And what do you mean by the "shape of the thong"?

I actually LOVE my foam Old Navy flip-flops! She's right... The longer you wear a pair of flip-flops, the more comfortable they become. Just like with any other kind of shoe, you have to give them time to really get broken in.
#14 Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

i refuse to put anything on my feet that needs any breaking in, rubs, or hurts me in any way. screw that for a laugh. there is no way i'm gonna stagger about with sore feet, lol. i won't wear any kind of clothing that hurts, in the hopes of making it hurt less/not hurt in future, i just get and use stuff that doesn't hurt in the first place- life is way too short to have sore feet (or anything else).

a kid my mum refused to let me have any kind of shoes that didn't fit 100%, especially ones without straps and proper support- the idea of a shoe holding itself on by one little stump between your toes isn't a good one, you'll clench your toes together to hold them on (which isn't good for them) won't you?

she told me horror stories of her cousin who wore slip-on shoes- her toes all ended up all curled under and clenched from holding her shoes on- she had to have a major operation to break all of her toes and reset them, to fix it. i'm sure this probably won't happen to you from wearing flipflops, but still- shoes should stay on without help from your toes, ya know?

get yourself a nice pair of crocs instead! (but not the flipflop ones lol- i'm thinking the 'scutes', or 'nile' ones):

crocs
#15 Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ Hear, hear!
#16 Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Why bother? Flip flops are a completely ridiculous fashion craze. THey will go the way of the slap bracelet. Why on EARTH are BATH SHOES considered proper office attire? Flip flops were created to prevent transfer of foot diseases when showering in a college dorm shower, public pool shower, or other places where showers are "public" or your feet need other protection. I don't know about you, but foot attire created with that in mind does not appeal to me for day-to-day wear.

Whoa! Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

They've been around a long time, and I expect they will continue to be. They were commonplace when I was growing up in the California bay area - 40 years ago. A lot of people called them "zoris"; the supposition being that they were inspired by the traditional Japanese footwear.

I don't see how they are much different from casual, inexpensive sandals of any other design. Not for formal occasions, certainly, but I don't think that has been suggested. They're just casual summer wear, like shorts or tank tops or whatever. No big deal, at least for me.
#17 Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Yuck. Only gardeners or nurses should wear crocs. Ugly.

I love flip-flips. I couldn't wear them when I was a teen (they hurt) but I tried them again two years ago for a trip to Mexico, and surprisingly loved 'em. Who knows what my problem was before, but I don't have it anymore. And thank GOD 'cause now I wear 'em everywhere. Super comfy, shows off my lovely pedicures, and since the cheaper ones cost only $5-$25, I own about 25 pairs (might be a conservative estimate). I've even considered moving to a warmer climate just so I can wear them year round.
#18 Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM

actually, a ridge between the ball of your foot and your toes, or the multi thong flip flops help your feet a great deal. the gripping motion simulates walking with bare feet and strengthens your foot muscles.

bare feet is best, esp. a daily walk on sand or ground, and quality flips or sandals.

if the flips are to loose or have no arch support thats a different story.

Quote:
the idea of a shoe holding itself on by one little stump between your toes isn't a good one, you'll clench your toes together to hold them on (which isn't good for them) won't you?

she told me horror stories of her cousin who wore slip-on shoes- her toes all ended up all curled under and clenched from holding her shoes on- she had to have a major operation to break all of her toes and reset them, to fix it

#19 Old 08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

it depends on the style and on the shape of your foot i think. i find most flipflops uncomfortable. i have very long skinny toes (i've had friends joke that they look like fingers and therefore i have monkey feet ) and i find most flipflops have too wide a thong bit for me.

i can't wear them for long anyways, i get foot cramps or sore across the top of my feet from scrunching my toes to keep the things on when i take a step.

i wanted sandles for my wedding though and was determined to find some that are comfortable AND pretty. what i found is a different kind of flip flop. instead of a thong wedged between 2 toes, there's a loop that you put your big toe through. they were pretty comfy when i tried them in the store, they hold to your feet better so you don't have to scrunch, you're less likely to slip out of them. maybe try finding a pair like that

by the way, to those dissing the flipflop, they've actually been around a very long time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zori

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#20 Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM

most shoes are bad for your feet.
#21 Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather have sandals with straps around my feet (over the arch of my foot) than flip-flops. I've seen some with really soft material between the toes (and unfortunately, these are usually leather) and the cloth ones someone mentioned sound like a possibility. I just prefer something a bit more substantial when it comes to shoes, I guess.

Something like this is more comfortable for me: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8914087/c/1460.html. These are awfully cute, too: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/5323855/c/12956.html.
#22 Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The reason I was even considering wearing them is that we're going to the Caribbean in a couple of weeks and I wanted something to wear on the beach. But there's no way I'm going to be wearing the ones I just bought! My daughter just tried them on and agreed that they were horribly uncomfortable.

Quote:
you would hate the ones I wear:

http://beech.meridian1.net/Images/Pr...Large/1090.JPG

they have a thong between every toe! they are really comfy.

Those look torturous, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
the idea of a shoe holding itself on by one little stump between your toes isn't a good one, you'll clench your toes together to hold them on (which isn't good for them) won't you?

That's exactly what I've been doing, clenching them so the shoes won't fall off!
#23 Old 08-01-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:

The reason I was even considering wearing them is that we're going to the Caribbean in a couple of weeks and I wanted something to wear on the beach. But there's no way I'm going to be wearing the ones I just bought! My daughter just tried them on and agreed that they were horribly uncomfortable.

Those look torturous, but I'll take your word for it.

That's exactly what I've been doing, clenching them so the shoes won't fall off!

then they are too loose. what about flips that just have the strap across the instep, and no thong?
#24 Old 08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a couple of pairs of the kind you mentioned, so I'll probably just end of wearing those. I just thought I'd give the flip flops a try. Guess not.
#25 Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 PM

I agree that shoes should feel comfy outright. sorry the flips didn't work.
#26 Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry too. Oh well.
#27 Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I broke down and bought a pair this year. They're some sort of fake leather like material and the thong is very thin and flat. That helps a little. They make my toes itch a little though which is weird. Once I'm walking around and doing something I don't notice it as much though.

With the flip flops as a fad thing, do you all mean the plastic, flat type or any shoe with a thong? Because I have a hard time finding any sort of sandal that doesn't have a thong or look as if it was made for someone in their 80's. As far as I can remember women around here have always worn dress shoes with thongs.

Mary
#28 Old 08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I wear flipflops. I find them to be very comfortable, personally. If I can't be barefooted, I wear them all of the time unless it's too cold or whatever. Mine don't make the "flapping" noise when I walk, it just takes a little toe control and they stay right with your foot.

Running (well,more of a trot), stairs, whatever isn't a problem either.

I find dressy shoes to be way more uncomfortable than my flipflops.
#29 Old 08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

<3 flip flops.

i recently started wearing the thong ones. that takes some getting used to. i always wore the ones with the band. i got some from that cheapo Fred's store. they hurt my feet. then i bought a pair from the dollar store for $6 and they are comfy.

purr, your multi-thong pair looks like they would stay on well and they might be comfy.

i guess i just need to shop around more than the cheapo stores and also check online for better support ones.

i'd seriously go barefoot all the time if i could. i wear my tennis shoes for walks in the neighborhood, then the rest of the time i'm wearing flips.
#30 Old 08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Teva makes a nice flip-flop that has a soft ribbon-like material between the toe material instead of the hard plastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page