Study: More Americans too fat for X-rays, scans - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I work with a few different schools (middle, jr high and high) and the kids don't really want healthy food. Healthy food has been offerred but pizza always wins. It's really sad. Of course, schools want/need to make money so that's a driving factor. Either way, one of the components in the "no child left behind act" has been to address nutrition in schools. This was just passed recently but the district I work with has been addressing the issue for the last two years in preparation. The problems stem from home. On the up side, some healthy food does move in the school cafeteria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I work with a few different schools (middle, jr high and high) and the kids don't really want healthy food. Healthy food has been offerred but pizza always wins. It's really sad. Of course, schools want/need to make money so that's a driving factor. Either way, one of the components in the "no child left behind act" has been to address nutrition in schools. This was just passed recently but the district I work with has been addressing the issue for the last two years in preparation. The problems stem from home. On the up side, some healthy food does move in the school cafeteria.

I agree that parents are the front line in getting their children to like healthy food. I spent years getting my daughter used to eating healthy-and even though she's diabetic I wasn't afraid to tell her that she would only get healthy food for meals (of course, we have our share of treats too, but only when my kids have eaten reasonably well). If she doesn't want something healthy, she doesn't need to eat yet. I win that one every time. For breakfast yesterday, my kids had rice, beans and watermelon and soy milk.

We also watch very little TV, and my kids don't see any "children's programming" that's likely to have a bunch of advertising for junk food. They rarely ask for anything in the grocery store, because they know the answer will probably be "no," and I'm never swayed by tantrums or nagging.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect parent-I have my faults, believe me. But I don't know why other parents have become such wusses. Don't be afraid to say no the the chocolate milk, Frosted Flakes and Big Macs.
#33 Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I agree that parents are the front line in getting their children to like healthy food. I spent years getting my daughter used to eating healthy-and even though she's diabetic I wasn't afraid to tell her that she would only get healthy food for meals (of course, we have our share of treats too, but only when my kids have eaten reasonably well). If she doesn't want something healthy, she doesn't need to eat yet. I win that one every time. For breakfast yesterday, my kids had rice, beans, watermelon and soy milk.

We also watch very little TV, and my kids don't see any "children's programming" that's likely to have a bunch of advertising for junk food. They rarely ask for anything in the grocery store, because they know the answer will probably be "no," and I'm never swayed by tantrums or nagging.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect parent-I have my faults, believe me. But I don't know why other parents have become such wusses. Don't be afraid to say no the the chocolate milk, Frosted Flakes and Big Macs.
#34 Old 07-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

If Suzy Mc.Burgersloth wants to eat 5 whoppers today, thats her business. But if in doing so taxes were paid that went to support healthy lunch programs then at least we get a little out of people killing themselves.

If you want to tax fast food based on the premise that it's unhealthy and contributes to obesity, we should also tax:

- Tings

- Doritos

- Potato Chips

- Soda

- Restaurant portions over 800 calories per plate

- Anyone who exercises less than 5 times per week, 30 minutes at a time

- Anyone who doesn't get their daily servings of fruit & veg

etc etc.

I don't care a whole lot for fast food, but it gets the brunt of disapproval here. Honestly, the very overweight people I work with (except one) don't go to fast food. They do eat out a lot, though, and they eat at restaurants nicer than Olive Garden. But they eat larger portions. And they don't exercise.

Taxing fast food will NOT solve the problem.
#35 Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm overweight and I'm vegetarian no meat/no dairy, exercise 3-5X/wk, never eat fast food, eat enough fruit/veggies/whole grains, don't drink soda. Granted, I'm not so overweight that I can't fit into a catscan/MRI/my x-rays come out fuzzy, but I do resent the implication that people who are overweight are that way because of their livestyles. It seems that my body was just designed with a large chest, big hips, big thighs, and a pinch of squishy belly. So tax the Soy Delicious that I eat a bowl of a month -- won't stop me from eating it and won't make me any thinner.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#36 Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm overweight and I'm vegetarian no meat/no dairy, exercise 3-5X/wk, never eat fast food, eat enough fruit/veggies/whole grains, don't drink soda. Granted, I'm not so overweight that I can't fit into a catscan/MRI/my x-rays come out fuzzy, but I do resent the implication that people who are overweight are that way because of their livestyles. It seems that my body was just designed with a large chest, big hips, big thighs, and a pinch of squishy belly. So tax the Soy Delicious that I eat a bowl of a month -- won't stop me from eating it and won't make me any thinner.

Of course there ARE those who are genetically predisposed to be overweight-and you are obviously one of them. What we're saying is that the majority of those who are obese ARE that way because of their lifestyles. When people emigrate here from other countries and balloon after adopting American ways of eating and (not) exercising, that doesn't mean that their genetics have changed. It means that there is something seriously wrong with the way we eat in this country, and the fact that we think it's perfectly ok to drive 100 yards to throw away a bag of trash. The % of the population that is overweight/obese keeps increasing. Does that mean that those who are genetically heavier are having children at a faster rate than those who are genetically thin?
#37 Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

You know what? I'm overweight (although not severely, I can take x-rays and the like without difficulty) and I rarely eat fast food. I should exercise more, but it doesn't matter what I do, I'm just not built to be skinny.

Conversely, my husband is very thin - he probably only weighs 120 pounds soaking wet - and he eats nothing but junk food. He's omni and a picky eater, so he only eats pizza, fried chicken, cheese, pasta with cheese, macaroni, and fast food burgers.

My eating habits are much healthier than his, and yet I'm the overweight one.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page