Dunkin' Bagel? Dunkin' Coffee? Where are the doughnuts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

It would 15 years ago that my profession was as a 'finisher' of doughnuts at my local Dunkin' Donuts. During my two years of torment, I slathered countless donuts with frosting, pumped piles of them with fruity goo, and eventually rose to the level of baker. Becoming a baker, I no longer had anything to do with goo.

During my years with Dunkin', I was spending at least $300 a week on musical equipment, $100 on rent, and the remainder on utilities and some food. I listed them in the priority they had at the time, meaning that food was very low on my list. Since I was spending little on food, I supplemented with an never ending supply of day old donuts, croissants, and bagels. Needless to say, I was not eating well at all at the time, and it showed.

[attachment=4567:63e6thexsickly.jpg]

I had a good understanding of this doughnut company back then. We had 3 cases full of doughnuts, about 60 varieties in total. We had a small section for 3 or 4 bagel varieties, and cookies.

Cut to today. I had a long past craving for doughnuts stirring back up. I decided the super market ones would not be adequate, so I made an extra trip to get the 'real' thing, Dunkin' Donuts doughnuts.

Upon entering, I was faced with numerous advertisements and posters offering coffee and their list of quasi-meals. Approaching the counter, I realized the doughnuts were all obscured and off to the side. Not only were they side staged to the piles of bagels, they clearly only offered about 10 to 15 varieties!

I realize the company made these changes as they proved more profitable, but how long before they drop doughnuts from their menu all together?
LL

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't the answer to that question but I have one of my own....why do they refuse to offer soy milk like all of the other coffee shops?!?!?!
#3 Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 PM

I think donuts are kind of a failing market now, by themselves. Stores need the bagles and coffee to keep them going. A 2 year old Krispy Kreme in my town recently closed because of lack of business. I don't think donuts are as popular as they used to be. And i am also peeved that DD does not offer soy milk
#4 Old 07-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

But it's a little unclear to me whether they would make a change like that because donut sales are actually down and they think these other things will sell better, or whether they merely want to "healthify" their image while continuing to sell just as many donuts as before. The news coverage I've been reading lately leaves the impression that while Americans are more health and weight obsessed than ever before, their actual eating habits aren't any better, so I would be somewhat surprised if donut sales are significantly down. OTOH, donut shops could have been a major victim of the low-carb craze, so... maybe not so surprised.

I would imagine, being the profit-motivated company they are, that if they think they can sell as many or nearly as many donuts with only 15 varieties as they did when they had 60, they wouldn't hesitate to slash all but the 15 top sellers. That would probably simplify donut production quite a bit, wouldn't it?
#5 Old 07-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

DONUTS.

Oh hell yeah! I wish we had a dunkin donuts! We had that overseas sometime and damn they were good!
#6 Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Banned

People get the bagel thinking its better for thier diets - too bad the bagel has twice the calories of the donut.
#7 Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

People get the bagel thinking its better for thier diets - too bad the bagel has twice the calories of the donut.

True enough, but it has less sugar, no partially hydrogenated oils and more fiber.

Then again, I guess most people put cream cheese on a bagel and that loads on more fat and calories and crap. I eat bagels as is for the most part, or with a bit of earth balance, so that's a different story.

Whatever you do, stay away from the muffins!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 07-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

True enough, but it has... more fiber.

Hmm, depends on the kind of bagel. Whole grain bagels don't seem to be big sellers at the shops near me, and I don't know that the white ones have significantly more fiber than a donut.

OTOH, who eats just one donut for breakfast? Not Me! (Or should I not admit that? )
#9 Old 07-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to love DD donuts...someone is always bringing them in to work. I used to eat 2-3 in a day easy! One would think I would be 'skinny' by now with what I've cut out of my diet...guess I'm just finding too many good vegan alternatives for my own good!
#10 Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know, but the Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla Coffee is pretty good I order the ground beans by mail (we don't have Dunkin Donuts here) and I am drinking a cup right now. I wish I could mail order the doughnuts too
#11 Old 07-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I used to love DD donuts...someone is always bringing them in to work. I used to eat 2-3 in a day easy! One would think I would be 'skinny' by now with what I've cut out of my diet...guess I'm just finding too many good vegan alternatives for my own good!

Where can I find vegan donuts???

YUM!
#12 Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I never had a vegan donut, I meant vegan substitutes generally speaking regarding sweets....however, I think you can get vegan donuts online...I just have to remember where....I'll try and find out and post the link.
#13 Old 07-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

#14 Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooooooh, those mightyos look divine! I love peanut doughnuts that have real chopped peanuts on them. Dunkin used to have it this way, then swapped for peanut meal which could not compare, and now I doubt they make them anymore.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#15 Old 07-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealIllusion View Post

YUM!

If you live near Bethlehem, PA you can go to vegan treats
#16 Old 07-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealIllusion View Post

Check out a gas station food mart. Seriously. I've read the ingredients lists on a few flavors (cherry, blueberry, glazed?) of these donuts, and I haven't found anything that looks egg- or milk-derived:

http://www.bonappetitbakery.com/products/donuts.html

None of the ingredient sound particularly healthy, but I guess people don't eat donuts to improve their health anyway. I'd recommend calling the company to inquire about the ingredients, just in case.

http://www.bonappetitbakery.com/contactus/index.html
#17 Old 07-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

voodoo donuts has very good vegan donuts. I prefer them to mighty-o but you can't get them anywhere outside of portland.

voodoo has the best non vegan donuts too, or at least the funniest donuts
#18 Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 PM

What makes a donut funny?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page