Brand New Interviews #2....Tesseract! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 AM

Per request, the interviews are re-established! The first interviewee was selected by popular vote. Each interviewee will then be able to select the next victim (um, I mean, guest of honor )

Interviews will run from (approximately) Friday one week until Monday the next. There will be some overlap, but this will give every lots of time to ask all of their questions.

Starter questions:

Question limit:

Birthday:

Dietary Path/Reason Why::

Favorite food(s):

Brief Intro:

Picture:

Website (your own or one of your favorites)

Previous interviews can be found here:

Libellula

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Whee! Hi Tess!

If Mr. Tess was out of the picture (no offense intended), who would you want to be stranded on a desert island with? (Other than Mr. Tess, again, no offense intended).

Do you ever go dancing? If not, what kind of dancing would you most like to learn to do?

If you suddenly had a million dollars, what would you do with it?

What does your favorite piece of jewelry look like?

Which would you rather spread on bread: Strawberry preserves, mango preserves, or peach preserves?

Would you be willing to take in an untamed feral cat if it had no other place to go?

What's your favorite color?

Have you ever read Tolkien?

What was your favorite subject in HS?

That's it for now.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Birthday: September 13. When I was in high school I liked to tell people I was born on Friday the 13th, but I was really born on Wednesday the 13th. Oh well. That makes me a Virgo, and I'm a totally sterotypical Virgo:

Quote:
Virgos have an analytical, agile, discriminating mind and are adept communicators. They are industrious, methodical, efficient, and sticklers for detail – great organizers. They strive for perfection in everything they do, which, taken to the extreme, can make them obsessive and overly critical, especially of themselves. They also tend to be worriers. An Earth sign, Virgos are practical, reliable, sensible, down-to-earth.

Dietary Path/Reason Why: Minimally lacto-ovo. Ethics, environment, health, in no particular order. I flirted with the idea of eating less meat or eating only certain kinds of meat for nearly 10 years, and then on a random day at the library, I picked up You Don't Need Meat by Peter Cox. The only reason I'm not all the way vegan is that I don't quite have what it takes to get all the way there.

Favorite food(s): Artichokes, potatoes, and Silk Coffee flavor. That stuff is as addicitive as crack.

Brief Intro: I never know what to say in these blurb things. Yes, I'm a lawyer. I do contract work, and I'm currently between projects, which is why I have time to format all my posts so nicely. But I'm also kind of anal-retentive that way, so I'd probably still be sticking bold and italic coding everywhere even if I only had five minutes to post. I change my avatar a lot. Some girls are shoe whores-- I'm an avatar whore. I have a whole collection of them waiting in the wings.

Picture: Here are some links to various pictures of me:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/a...4&d=1153080159

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...age.php?i=5938

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...age.php?i=5884

Let the interrogation begin!
#4 Old 07-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

you list your occupation as "houseplant rescuer"... what kind of houseplants do you have?
#5 Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

What kind of lawyer are you? As in, prosectution, class action, real estate...

Is law school really that bad?

How much did your first case change or reinforce your expectations of law?

Do you like roller coasters?

What's a law that's not on the books in your area that you think should be?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 07-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I appreciate your supportive and helpful posts here on VB. I'm glad you joined.

Do you like science fiction and/or fantasy?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

What was the most enjoyable concert you've ever been to?

What do you like on a falafel?

What percentage of your friends are not lawyers?
#8 Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 AM

What's your favorite lawyer joke? (Come on, you know you have one)

What's the story behind your username?

Do you sleep late on Sundays, or get up early?

and, Amy, take it easy on Tess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Which would you rather spread on bread: Strawberry preserves, mango preserves, or peach preserves?

I mean, sweet Moses, that's like Sophie's Choice.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 07-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Tess, I'm kind of scared that you changed your avitar to one with a sword as your interview began......

If you won a million dollars what would be the first thing you would buy?

Do you support any charities?

What's your idea of the perfect day?

Mary
#10 Old 07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Guys, I just spent an hour+ writing replies to all these questions, and I accidentally closed my browser and lost the entire thing as I was about to hit Copy to make sure I didn't lose it! Maybe I'll try recreating it later or tomorrow, but I just can't right now. Bleeeeuuuuurrgggghhhhh!
#11 Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

OK, here's the recreation:

If Mr. Tess was out of the picture (no offense intended), who would you want to be stranded on a desert island with? (Other than Mr. Tess, again, no offense intended).

If I have to pick a real person, I dunno, maybe Bono. But my real heartthrob is totally fictional. He’s a character I made up and he’s one of the main characters in my piece-of-dreck unfinished novel. That guy’s been in my head for over a decade. Of course, it’s easy to build the perfect man in your own imagination!

Do you ever go dancing? If not, what kind of dancing would you most like to learn to do?

I don’t, but I would like to learn ballroom dancing. I’ve been talking about dragging Mr. Tess to lessons for years, but I just haven’t done it.

If you suddenly had a million dollars, what would you do with it?

If you won a million dollars what would be the first thing you would buy?

I’d buy a few acres of land in the country, live as eco-friendly a lifestyle as I could, and grow both native plants and organic produce. I’d donate a chunk to The Nature Conservancy, and invest the rest to make sure I could continue to live that lifestyle as long as possible.

What does your favorite piece of jewelry look like?

I don’t wear much jewelry, and what I do wear is very simple and understated, mostly silver. I guess my favorite necklace is a thin, twisted silver chain with tiny silver beads spaced along it. I wear it all the time.

Probably strawberry. I’d much rather eat mangoes fresh, and I prefer peaches in the form of crisp or cobbler. But my actual favorite preserves are seedless raspberry. I like the really tart fruits in preserves-- the sweeter ones get too sweet for me. BTW, I really prefer jam over jelly or preserves.

Would you be willing to take in an untamed feral cat if it had no other place to go?

Probably, if I had room, unless it had special medical needs that I didn’t feel capable of meeting properly. Of course, I’m already full up on rescued cats—I have one more than I’m allowed at my apartment!

What's your favorite color?

I like too many colors to pick just one. But I tend to favor strong, bright colors with names like aubergine, emerald, and sapphire.

Do you like science fiction and/or fantasy? Have you ever read Tolkien?

Yes and yes. I grew up on Heinlen. My current bookshelf includes Arthur C. Clarke, Kim Stanley Robinson, David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, and Kate Elliott. But I’ve read many more that I don’t own. I usually gravitate toward the SF/fantasy section first when I enter a bookstore or library. I’ve read LOTR several times (the Hobbit many more), seen the movies several times, and I sort-of read the Silmarillion. I’ve also read Dennis McKiernan, which is just a blatant take-off of Middle-Earth, but enjoyable despite (or perhaps because of) that.

What was your favorite subject in HS?

Science hands down. A tossup between chemistry and biology. In HS I think I liked chemistry more, but when I got to college I decided it was biology.

you list your occupation as "houseplant rescuer"... what kind of houseplants do you have?

Numerous. A couple of ficus benjamina, several philodendrons, several dracaena, several pothos, a spathiphyllum, a couple of schefflera, Chinese evergreen, the list goes on. Some I bought, but I’d guess at least half of them were either funeral plants or the like, or were rescued from the homes of family and friends, or from the dumpster! I hate my peace lily—it’s so needy, always drooping, asking for more water!

What kind of lawyer are you? As in, prosecution, class action, real estate...

I did insurance litigation for about 4 years, defending insurance companies when policyholders sued them over claim disputes. Since I quit that, I’ve been doing contract work that usually involves assisting firms with large lawsuits that suck up a lot of resources. A lot of high-volume document review and management.

Is law school really that bad?

No, I found it pretty easy. I think the problem is that so many people who go to law school tend to be really driven, obsessive over-achievers, and they try to do too much. But the bar exam, now THAT sucked.

How much did your first case change or reinforce your expectations of law?

My first case was a mass toxic tort case on behalf of a neighborhood full of really poor black people, against a petrochemical refinery that had a release of a noxious substance. It didn’t really change my expectations of law, but it taught me a lot about people. There are always a few bad apples who just want to take advantage.

Do you like roller coasters?

I love them. The more drops, loops and corkscrews, the better! When I was a teen, I had a dream of travelling the country to ride all the best coasters. Hmm, that hasn’t happened.

What's a law that's not on the books in your area that you think should be?

I actually wrote a proposed statute in law school that would have banned smoking in all public places. It was part of a seminar on health legislation. Not that it would ever get passed-- we have enough controversy just getting cigarettes out of the restaurants, let alone the bars and nightclubs!

What was the most enjoyable concert you've ever been to?

They Might Be Giants at Numbers here in Houston a few years ago. I’m not normally a concert-goer, but TMBG is my absolute favorite band, and it was in a small venue, so it was more fun than a giant arena.

What do you like on a falafel?

I just have it with the usual fixins that the local restaurant put on their falafel sandwiches—tahini sauce, onions, tomatoes and pickles. Why, are there other ways to eat falafel?

What percentage of your friends are not lawyers?

Virtually all of my friends are non-lawyers. Primarily because the average lawyer is a self-absorbed prick. (Can I say that on VB?)

What's your favorite lawyer joke? (Come on, you know you have one)

There are too many good lawyer jokes to pick one. Actually, it’s been a while since I heard any lawyer jokes, so I can’t really remember any of the witty ones. There are some really funny ones, though.

It’s from Madeleine L’Engle’s book A Wrinkle In Time, a young adult science fiction book that I loved when I was a kid. In it, they used the interdimensional properties of the tesseract, a four-dimensional cube, to travel to other dimensions.

Do you sleep late on Sundays, or get up early?

I’m usually up by 8:30 on any day when I have a choice about when to get up.

Do you support any charities?

Only one regularly—The Nature Conservancy. I used to be a member of lots of different environmental groups, but to save myself junk mail and headaches, I decided to pick one and stick with it. I make an annual donation.

What's your idea of the perfect day?

It would involve great sex, great company, eating delicious meals cooked for me by someone else, and doing fun things outside in beautiful surroundings. I think there would definitely be a picnic lunch on the shore of a small island in a lovely mountain lake.
#12 Old 07-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could go back to school and have an entirely different career, what would it be?

What are your five favorite movies?

What are your cat's names?

If you could go anywhere in the world for a vacation, where would it be?

What made you decide to become a lawyer?
#13 Old 07-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Tess!

I didn't know you were a lawyer. Very interesting!

I'm so happy you were picked.

Now... for the interrogation

What's your favorite season and why?

Now, what is your favorite seasoning. And why?

If someone were cooking for you, for your lovely picnic, what would you like them to make?

Do you sing in the shower?

Have you ever read any Sci-Fi/Speculative fiction by Robert Sawyer?

Ok... that's it for now

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#14 Old 07-22-2006, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

If you could have a vegan restaurant open up in your neighborhood, what kind would you want it to be? (Thai, Indian, Italian, etc.)

Do you speak any Spanish? What about any other languages?

Have you ever read anything by Molly Ivins? I love her politlcal commentary.

Are you computer literate? If your computer suddenly did something weird that you never saw before, would you totally freak out, or have some idea of what's going on?

Do people think of you as a "cat lady"? Do you have any cat-related kitsch in your home? (I do!)

Have you ever written any Letters to the Editor about anything?

#15 Old 07-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

What is your political party?

What are the names of your cats?

How old were you when you found out the truth about Santa?

What is your favorite smilie?
#16 Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

How did you know that Mr. Tess was "the one?"

I knew when we discovered that we both love They Might Be Giants. That was on our second date.

What is your least favorite household chore?

Cleaning up cat vomit. Followed closely by cleaning the shower.

What is your favorite thing to do when no one is looking?

Pick my nails (fingers and toes). Im an obsessive nail-picker. Theyre very soft, and they nick, tear and split easily. Every little notch leads to an entire nail being ripped off. Well, sometimes I do it when people are looking, too. Well, that and masturbate, but I generally dont masturbate when people are looking!

What go you think of waxing body hair - hooray or no way?

No way!

If you could go back to school and have an entirely different career, what would it be?

I dont know. If I had enough direction to want a particular career, I would have done that one the first time around!

What are your five favorite movies?

Contact. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Ferris Buellers Day Off. Shakespeare In Love. The Matrix. And honorable mention to both Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings.

What are your cat's names?

Zephyr, Zorro, and Pickle. Zephyr and Zorro are presumed to be half-brothers, and they got matching names. Zephyr is named for the west wind, and he's just as quick and playful. Zorro has a grey mask just over his eyes. Pickle came later, and he was named for his tendency to get himself stuck in trees, on rooftops, and on neighbor's balconies when he first came to live with us. I would look up at him and say, "Well, you're in a pretty pickle now, aren't you?" Heres their boast page from the pet thread.

If you could go anywhere in the world for a vacation, where would it be?

There are a lot of neat places to visit, but I think probably either Alaska or Ireland. Ive always wanted to visit both places.

What made you decide to become a lawyer?

I was having trouble getting a decent job with my BA in biology, I was good at reading, writing, and logic problems, I didnt want to go to grad school, and law school seemed like the quickest route to gainful employment. So I took the LSAT just for kicks and scored really well. I thought maybe that was a sign that law was a good path for my talents. I should add by way of background that my dad is a lawyer, and hes been bugging me to go to law school for as long as I can remember. I spent most of my life habitually resisting the idea, but when you get out of school with your degree in hand and wind up desperately contemplating a job as Christmas overflow at a local department store, it tends to wear down your resistance. It worked out pretty well, although Im not gainfully employed at the moment.

What's your favorite season and why?

Location, location, location. I discovered last week that I LOVE summer in Seattle, but I HATE summer in Houston. Overall, probably late spring/early summer. I love green growing things, and that time of year is full of them, no matter where you are.

Now, what is your favorite seasoning. And why?

Probably garlic. Most of my recipes begin with soften the onion over medium heat, then add the garlic. It tastes great, its good for you, whats not to love? O god, but then theres basil! *bites nails* I think basil wins, because theres simply nothing better than the wonderful aroma of fresh basil. *swoons*

If someone were cooking for you, for your lovely picnic, what would you like them to make?

Option 1: Assorted veggie sushi. Spring rolls. Some kind of yummy Asian-style entrée involving tofu, like maybe crispy tofu with sweet & sour sauce, or possibly curried tofu with veggies. Followed by a spectacular dessert. (Maybe this should be dinner on my perfect day.)

Option 2: Some kind of yummy sandwich involving Fakin Bacon, guacamole, tomato and sprouts. I would love Swiss cheese and a croissant too, but Im working on that! Something yummy and crispy on the side (I wont come right out and say potato chips, but that would work). I have to admit this one would involve sodas. And warm, chewy brownies and soymilk for dessert/afternoon snack.

Do you sing in the shower?

No, the acoustics in my shower are terrible. But I often sing while driving, and at random times.

No, I havent heard of him. Should I check him out?

If you could have a vegan restaurant open up in your neighborhood, what kind would you want it to be? (Thai, Indian, Italian, etc.)

I think what Id really like is a moderate to slightly upscale sort of place that serves a variety of dishes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and interesting tastes rather than a particular cuisine. So would that be nouveau fusion?

Do you speak any Spanish? What about any other languages?

I understand enough written Spanish to make out most of the Spanish ads and billboards. But if someone starts speaking Spanish to me, I hear blah, bla-blah, bla-blah. I took four years of French in high school and have forgotten most of it. What a waste!

Have you ever read anything by Molly Ivins? I love her political commentary.

Did she write Shrubbed? I started reading that, and it was just too depressing. Maybe if she wrote about a less painful subject

Are you computer literate? If your computer suddenly did something weird that you never saw before, would you totally freak out, or have some idea of what's going on?

In any group of lawyers and people in the legal profession, Im considered the comp geek and Im the one they ask for help fixing their routine little problems. But that certainly doesnt make me computer literate in any actual sense. If my computer fails to boot up one day or gives me the BSOD, I scream for Mr. Tess. But if the OS is working and it's just doing something annoying, I can at least make a start on figuring it out.

Do people think of you as a "cat lady"? Do you have any cat-related kitsch in your home? (I do!)

No, we have a cat lady here at our apartments, and its not me. I dont go around habitually feeding strays and rescuing ferals, if thats what you mean, but when I told my dad we had three cats, he gave me that shes a nut look. Im cat-lady enough to stop and pet any cat that will let me, though. I do have some cat-related memorabilia, like a big picture of a bunch of really cute cats over my desk that says, Face it... the best things in life are furry! and some wildlife shots of tigers, leopards and jaguars. Other than that, just a couple of silly little things my mom gave me, like a cat notepad and a cat zipper pull that I cant find a place for.

Have you ever written any Letters to the Editor about anything?

Yes, in college I wrote a letter to the Houston Chronicle in response to a news story about a very brutal rape/murder. I objected to their description of the act as animal-like and pointed out that while animals do a lot of things that dont meet human standards of behavior, their behavior generally doesnt hold a candle to the horrors that humans are capable of. They published it, but they edited out some of my angrier remarks about the appropriate punishment for the monsters who did it. I was pretty upset about it. But I'm not a habitual letter-writer.

What is your political party?

Im not a registered member of any political party, but Ive considered joining the Green Party. When I took the political quiz that someone posted here on VB, it told me that I was both fiscally and socially liberal, and I landed very close to the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela on the graph.

How old were you when you found out the truth about Santa?

I dont recall a particular moment when I realized that there is no man in a red suit who comes down the chimney. I grew up in a house that didnt have a chimney (we have maybe 5 nights a year where its cold enough to merit a fire), so I think it was a little hard for me to ever really believe in the schtick.

What is your favorite smilie?

My favorite smilie that I never get to use is When would you use that, anyway? My favorite smilie that I do use is
#17 Old 07-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you growing any vegetables at current?

If you had an unlimited amount of outdoor space, what would you grow?

How would you cover it up if one (or both) of your eyebrows were somehow shaved up?
#18 Old 07-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

[B]

Option 2: Some kind of yummy sandwich involving Fakin Bacon, guacamole, tomato and sprouts.

That was my sandwhich for lunch (minus tomato, add spinach). Great minds...

Quote:

No, I havent heard of him. Should I check him out?

Yes- definitely. He is an amazing author, but not well known outside of Canada. I have never read anything by him that wasn't fantastic!

I can make some title suggestions if you would like

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#19 Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Other than me, have you encountered anyone who also learned the word "tesseract" from that very same story?
#20 Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

i learned tesseract from taht story too!

have you ever played a role-playing game?

what is something you cook most often?

what is your favorite thing to do when you go outside?
#21 Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Its from Madeleine LEngles book A Wrinkle In Time, a young adult science fiction book that I loved when I was a kid. In it, they used the interdimensional properties of the tesseract, a four-dimensional cube, to travel to other dimensions.

Der. I can't believe I didn't remember that.

<<heads off to library.

Roller coasters! Yes! I secretly want to travel to Japan just to ride the rollercoasters.

#22 Old 07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of nut butter do you like best?

If you could time travel, where and when would you like to go?

Who is your favourite painter?

What do you do when you see a spider?

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#23 Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you enjoy most about VB?

What do you find the most annoying about VB?

Do you ever put anyone on ignore?

Have you ever been to Chicago?

Can you wiggle your ears without touching them?
#24 Old 07-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think you and Mr. Tess will ever want to raise children?

Do you like kids? How are you around kids? If they make faces at you, do you react?

If you see kids misbehaving in public, do you have to resist the temptation to go over and scold and/or smack them, or do you have the ability to just ignore them?

As a non-parent, how do you feel when others talk endlessly about their kids?

And now, for the flip side: Do you like to talk about your pets?

#25 Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

What is your favorite flower?
#26 Old 07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

Other than me, have you encountered anyone who also learned the word "tesseract" from that very same story?

She's encountered me!

Chiara's a bit of a L'Engle junkie, or was at one point...

Tess, I can't think of anything good to ask right now. I'll keep trying!
#27 Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

*What is the most frightening thing that has ever happened to you?

*Most emberassing moment.

*If you could change your eye color, what color would you have?
#28 Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you growing any vegetables at current?

I wish! I cant even grow a potted vegetable at my current apartment. Its set down below ground level, which helps keep it cool during hot Houston summers, but it gets so little sun even my low-light-adapted houseplants can barely get by outside on the patios.

If you had an unlimited amount of outdoor space, what would you grow?

I would grow a mix of all kinds of edible produce and herbs, everything I could get to grow in my soil that is, and an array of native plants adapted to my micro-climate. I doubt I would keep it very organized, and it might well end up a hodgepodge of tomato plants and butterfly weed, etc.

How would you cover it up if one (or both) of your eyebrows were somehow shaved up?

I would use electrical tape trimmed to the shape of an eyebrow (or two) stuck to my forehead. Between duct tape and electrical tape, there is no problem that cant be solved!

Other than the folks whove posted here, only a handful, and a small handful at that. Most people have never heard of it, and I cant say I blame them.

have you ever played a role-playing game?

Many. Back in the day I played the original paper and pencil AD&D with my brother, and since then Ive played lots of computer RPGs. Im currently playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Im a thief/assassin. I almost always choose a stealth-based character if I can.

what is something you cook most often?

I make Garlicky White Beans with Spinach pretty often, and another one of my common items is oven roasted potatoes seasoned with chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Did I mention I love potatoes? I usually eat them with a couple of plain cooked vegetables like steamed spinach, roasted asparagus, or sauteed zucchini.

what is your favorite thing to do when you go outside?

Probably go for walks. You can go for short strolls or long hikes, all you need is you and a pair of comfortable shoes, and theres nearly always something to see. I did discover while on vacation that I like canoeing and kayaking, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like them quite as much in hot, muggy Houston as I did in Seattle.

What kind of nut butter do you like best?

I think I like almond butter best, but I dont eat a lot of different nut butters, just almond and peanut. And I like peanut pretty well, too.

If you could time travel, where and when would you like to go?

This same question came up one time at work, and when I said I would go meet the ancient Celts, I was roundly ridiculed for choosing to visit a period without convenient technologies like antibiotics and indoor plumbing. Phhhht. At least I dont risk accidentally visiting the aftermath of WWIII!

Who is your favourite painter?

Right now, its Alfred Gockel. I have a Gockel print hanging in my living room, and I really like a lot of his work because its fun and colorful and full of motion. Some of his newer work is too bright, though. It's eye-searing.

What do you do when you see a spider?

I often stop and admire it, particularly if its a big beautiful one, or I ignore it. If its in a really inconvenient place, Ill get a piece of paper and move it.

What do you enjoy most about VB?

When someone posts a new recipe that sounds delicious, or a really helpful piece of information that makes my life easier, or supports someone when theyre feeling really stressed, or just anytime this community really works to help its members. Which is pretty often.

What do you find the most annoying about VB?

The idea that being in the compost heap equals carte blanche to throw all common civility out the window and act like jerkoffs. Or when random threads degenerate into a fracas because a few people are being asses and other people can't just release it.

Do you ever put anyone on ignore?

Yes, but not very often. Only if people repeatedly act like jackasses or reading their posts is so annoying to me that I decide my life is better without that person in it. There are six people on my ignore list, and I think most of them dont post here anymore anyway.

Have you ever been to Chicago?

No. Im not that well traveled.

Can you wiggle your ears without touching them?

No, but my maternal grandfather could. It was his parlor trick, but it doesnt seem to have been passed down.

Do you think you and Mr. Tess will ever want to raise children?

No. We just got fixed earlier this year so we dont have to worry about the possibility of accidental children. I have never seriously considered adopting. I just failed to develop any sort of maternal instinct.

Do you like kids? How are you around kids? If they make faces at you, do you react?

I like kids okay once theyre old enough to talk to. Usually Im the one making faces at them. I make funny faces at little kids in public all the time. Usually it seems to scare them-- maybe I'm not doing it right. Im scared of babies though. When someone brings a baby to work, and all the women gather around so they can coo over it Im not part of that group. Im too scared someone might suggest I hold it or something. And I HATE when people get out pictures of their babies. What am I supposed to say? It looks like a frickin baby! Babies all look the same!

If you see kids misbehaving in public, do you have to resist the temptation to go over and scold and/or smack them, or do you have the ability to just ignore them?

Its not so much an actual urge as it is just a faint fantasy of going over there and threatening to cut their arms off or something, and really scaring them because they dont know me from Adam how do they know I wouldnt do it?? I kind of like the idea of being that mean lady all the little kids are scared of and convinced she's a witch.

As a non-parent, how do you feel when others talk endlessly about their kids?

Bored out of my gourd unless they have really funny stories about the wacky things kids say and do. Those are hilarious.

And now, for the flip side: Do you like to talk about your pets?

I do like to talk about my pets some, but its mostly limited to boasts like I have the best/cutest cats in the world!

What is your favorite flower?

Like to receive in a bouquet? I like assorted wildflowers. I dislike frail, needy exotics and cultivars. I like to see hardy wild flowers blooming robustly in their natural places and circumstances. I like the honest, unassuming wildflowers along the road. I actually like oxalis (sorrel) a lot, although most people think of it as a weed.

*What is the most frightening thing that has ever happened to you?

Hmm... I think it may have been when I was nearly sexually assaulted by a fellow student in high school. I left the area and he didn't come after me, and the worst I got was a groping, but I had nightmares about trying to fend him off for weeks.

*Most embarassing moment.

Definitely the moment I posted in the Most Embarrassing Moment thread.

*If you could change your eye color, what color would you have?

I would never change my eye color. I love my blue eyes. If I HAD to pick a different kind of eye, I would pick golden cat eyes with slit pupils.
#29 Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

#30 Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

*Do you have any clothing that glows in the dark?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page