What should I do (and know) before I turn 30? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm now in the first part of a 6-month countdown to the big 3-0. I've decided to write a book about these last months of my 20s, specifically about my attempts to do everything I 'should' while I'm still considered truly youthful (and can still somewhat get away with stupidity) as well as preparing myself for the adult world.

But I need help. Give me homework! What do you hope to do (or wish you had done) before you turn 30? What do you think 20-somethings should master/accomplish before their 30's? Challenge me! I'll be trying my best to do as many things as possible, even if I have to scale them down a bit.

So far, I've received suggestions that I need to attend a frat party, go streaking, get a degree in engineering, fall in love (this one I've done before, so I won't feel pressured to find someone in the next few months), learn Chinese, get a "real" job, backpack through Europe, and learn to budget my finances.

Obviously, I can't learn Chinese fluently or receive a 4-yr degree within the next 6 months, but I could learn enough to speak to a vendor in Chinatown, or read "Engineering for Dummies" or something and try to bluff my way through a meeting of the engineering club at my university.

Any additional suggestions? If I try yours, I'll let you know whether or not I was successful and how (if necessary) I adjusted the goal to fit my timeline and financial ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2006, 09:45 AM

tattoos!
#3 Old 07-10-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I'm now in the first part of a 6-month countdown to the big 3-0. I've decided to write a book about these last months of my 20s, specifically about my attempts to do everything I 'should' while I'm still considered truly youthful (and can still somewhat get away with stupidity) as well as preparing myself for the adult world.

What really matters is if you consider yourself youthful. Do you feel youthful? The day after you turn 30 probably won't feel much different. Attempt to accomplish things as you want to do them, not when society expects you to have already accomplished them.
#4 Old 07-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi veggiejanie,

Well you know, I do feel pretty youthful overall, though some days I feel dreadfully old (especially when I listen to my cousins talk about their crushes, etc., and realize that there's just no way to regain those teenypopper years). I wish I'd done things when I was a teen that are impossible now that I'm in my 20s (approaching 30s) like go to prom, 'cruise the gut,' sneak out of the house to meet friends in the graveyard for a seance, etc.

But I'm determined to try as much as possible in the next 6 months! Plus, I think writing a book about my adventures will be fun. I'd love any suggestions you might have. Even if it's to take a long look in the mirror and remember that I'm still not over-the-hill quite yet and that life has a lot in store for me.
#5 Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Baby Love

Oh crap. I'm only 17 days behind you. This post brings on the dread However, I'm determined not to make 30 the drastic milestone its made out to be. Long hair, short shorts, and belching song lyrics till the day I die!
#6 Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

Hi veggiejanie,

Well you know, I do feel pretty youthful overall, though some days I feel dreadfully old (especially when I listen to my cousins talk about their crushes, etc., and realize that there's just no way to regain those teenypopper years). I wish I'd done things when I was a teen that are impossible now that I'm in my 20s (approaching 30s) like go to prom, 'cruise the gut,' sneak out of the house to meet friends in the graveyard for a seance, etc.

But I'm determined to try as much as possible in the next 6 months! Plus, I think writing a book about my adventures will be fun. I'd love any suggestions you might have. Even if it's to take a long look in the mirror and remember that I'm still not over-the-hill quite yet and that life has a lot in store for me.

Well good luck with your book. You're not dreadfully old - you have a long life ahead of you!

I suggest making a list by yourself of things that are truly in your heart. What have you always wanted to try? What are you afraid to try? What are some things that you want to learn how to do? Places you want to go? Challenge yourself!

I'd answer these questions for yourself instead of trying to find stereotypical answers from others. It will mean more if these things come from your heart and not others'. Just a thought!
#7 Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Generally speaking, veggiejanie is spot-on. However, you never know what your last day will be, so don't lose out by getting stuck in a lifestyle you dislike. Milestones are good reminders that we're finite. Here are some ideas:

Go to a nursing home/retirement community and adopt a grandparent. Visit this person for at least one hour a week.

Send your family and closest friends letters of appreciation. Not Hallmark cards--real letters that you wrote. Or, if you're so inclined, plan out what you want to say for each person and have someone videotape you.

Sign up to be a volunteer in a neonatal intensive care unit in a hospital. They will love you if you go in for an hour or two any time of the day or night and hold babies. Best part--you can enjoy the infants at their best and not get "trapped" into providing for a kid yourself.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#8 Old 07-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, please! Wait until you start approaching 40!

30 didn't really phase me actually but 35 was like ...ewww, I am almost 40!

The only thing I noticed that was different when I turned 30 was that I felt like I had less energy. But that was just me. I didn't feel like I was 30 though - it didn't change my entire life or anything.

There will still be plenty of time to do things after the big 30 strikes. There is no 'real' age limit on things anymore (well, you probably can't get on the kiddie rides anymore unless you are going with your kid!). I still go and do lots of fun trips, change jobs and careers, move places - I have met backpackers way older than 30!

As time goes on, you won't worry too much about all those things you didn't get to do in high school ..but if it is really bugging you than go and do it!

Why don't you make a list of things you want to do throughout your 30s? Then you will be looking forward to that big 30!
#9 Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Since you only have six months, I'd recommend starting on a spiritual quest to learn what you want to do before you turn 40. Don't plan to do anything specific in the next six months, but rather be guided by your spiritual quest.

It's my belief that anything you can do to make yourself a more complete, centered persion will be beneficial to making all the rest of your live better rather than just the time to an arbitrary (yet societally imporant) point in time.

Best of luck for a wonderful journey.
#10 Old 07-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I really like everyone's ideas on this!

But for the purposes of your book, I would suggest:

Skinny-dipping in the ocean or a lake.

Dancing naked in the rain.

Throw a dinner party.

Go bungee jumping.

Have a fling with someone wildly innapropriate.

Start saving for your retirement.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#11 Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Synergy, I put money in my 401(k) every month toward my retirement, and I'm 23. Since when do people wait until nearly 30 to start being smart?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

You could walk the Camino Santiago de Compostela. It is an 800 km walk from France, across the Pyranees and to the coast of Spain.

It's something I plan on doing before I turn 30.
#13 Old 07-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Oh, please! Wait until you start approaching 40!

Oh, Please! Wait until you start approaching 50!

And 30 isn't really 30 anymore! I think 40 is. Or maybe it's 50 even!
#14 Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Internal things you should try to master:

-Never lie to yourself.

-Never put yourself down, nor puff yourself up.

-Look at life with clear eyes, but don't be afraid to put on the rose shades for minimal times to get through the rough spots. You will still know what the truth is, but you will remain sane.

-Learn to read people accurately. There will be silent heroes, and suave con artists all through your life.

-Trust no one until you get to know them, but give everyone the benifit of the doubt until they stinky on you.

-Don't let your heart out think your head.

-Don't lend unless you are ready to give the money/item to them. You may not get it back.

-Be kind to those less fortunate, but don't be used. If they say they have no money and they are going hungry, then what is that ciggarette doing in the corner of their mouth? Look for visible evidence of income--electricity, cable, gas in the car,

-Don't answer phone questionares. You really don't know to whom you are giving your private information.

-Walk in a life of forgiveness as much as possible. Ask for forgiveness when you are wrong, do so quickly. When someone else is wrong, decide to forgive. It is after all a decision, not a feeling.

-Don't carry a grudge. While you are carrying a grudge, the other guy is out dancing.

-Remember to give the people you love a hug or tell them you love them everytime you leave them. After all, it might be for the last time.
#15 Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Synergy, I put money in my 401(k) every month toward my retirement, and I'm 23. Since when do people wait until nearly 30 to start being smart?

That's great!!!

I just turned 19 and I already have my retirement savings plan all planned out.
#16 Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Oh crap. I'm only 17 days behind you. This post brings on the dread However, I'm determined not to make 30 the drastic milestone its made out to be. Long hair, short shorts, and belching song lyrics till the day I die!

Ew, you guys are getting old fast. I won't turn 30 for at least a whole week after Jinga.
#17 Old 07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't know how already, learn how to cook at least one fabulous meal and make it your own.

I like the writing a book idea, that's great.

Dye or highlight your hair, but don't go too crazy (unless you want to).
#18 Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Turning 30 does not make you old, silly! Age is a very relative thing, and each person is only as old/young as he or she decides to be. Don't worry about this birthday... you'll still be you!
#19 Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Look forward to life getting better in your 30's. My thirties have been so much better than my 20's that I am looking forward to turning 40 in November. I can only imagine how great my 40's are going to be.
#20 Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Skinny-dipping in the ocean or a lake.

Dancing naked in the rain.

Throw a dinner party.

Go bungee jumping.

Have a fling with someone wildly innapropriate.

Start saving for your retirement.

Hah! Now, synergy, you and I are seeing eye-to-eye. This is exactly the kind of feedback I need! I've done a few of these already, but I think throwing a dinner party is definately something someone approaching 30 should be able to do, and I've always wanted to go bungee jumping (and it'd make a good entry in the book). Thanks!

And, to all those who seem to be worried: NO, I don't stay in bed all day afraid of becoming 3 decades old, and YES I know that age is mostly mental (and that 40 is the new 30 anyway). But I still believe that, generally speaking, some ideas are best discovered when young[er] (Life2k, your advice about learning to read people, and letting go of grudges--good stuff!!), and some skills might be mastered early in order to more fully experience life (like the ability to bake bread or drive a stick-shift). I want to try it all!

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll let you know how it's going!
#21 Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

You're supposed to do all your life enhancing things before you turn 30?? Damn, I didn't get the memo. Now I only have 11 months!

I concentrate on living each day of my life making a difference to those around me. I don't dwell on what I think I may have missed nor do I set goals about what I want to do before I die. The important is now. I don't regret the past or dream about the future, I just live the present.

I guess I'm not really a lot of help. I think the whole worrying about your age is silly. Some people never get the chance to see 30, let alone worry about how old they are. Enjoy what you have.

Mary
#22 Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

- get dreadlocks

- buy a boat and live on it, cruising the canals (thats what my granparents did when they were 60 so you might want to wait a while before doing that...)

- do something that scares you

- volunteer for some charity work

- learn a new instrument, and get on stage within 6 months

- go trekking in the wilds with your mates, and lose the map back to civilisation

- rob a bank
#23 Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopedanny View Post

- get dreadlocks

- buy a boat and live on it, cruising the canals (thats what my granparents did when they were 60 so you might want to wait a while before doing that...)

- do something that scares you

- volunteer for some charity work

- learn a new instrument, and get on stage within 6 months

- go trekking in the wilds with your mates, and lose the map back to civilisation

- rob a bank

I WISH I could get dreads, but my hair refuses. Stupid hair. I'm thinking about dyeing it pink or purple, though. I don't really see myself living with punky hair for long (not really my style), but I do think everyone should try it at least once, so why not now?!

Oooh, get lost in the wild woods. Now THAT sounds like a fun adventure that I may be able to arrange on short notice!

And I HAVE thought about answering one of those "Keyboardist Needed for New Rock Band" advertisements you find in the paper. I've never been in a band before...

Again, anyone who's reading this: I'm working on doing stereotypical and/or creative youthful things, both the adventurous and the supposedly 'necessary for adulthood.' I'm NOT saying that adventures end once you turn 30, nor that you need to get it together by the time you're 29, nor that no one should have pink hair when they're 45. If I actually thought any of that, I'd be crying now, not thinking about which forests within driving distance have more mountain lions vs. those with bears (I think bear are easier to stay away from, right?).
#24 Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you climbed Mt. Everest yet?

#25 Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Climb a mountain---that's good! Maybe I could at least make it to the top of the rockclimbing wall at the gym (no actual mountains in Wisconsin). Lol. Also, I have a Mt. Rainier cap, so maybe I could just boast about my climbing abilities and challenge someone to a climb-off and see if anyone takes me up on it or if they can tell I'm just a boastful jerk.
#26 Old 07-11-2006, 09:19 PM

1) don't write the book till after your 60 or 70 or something...waste of valuable time!

2) apply to join the peace corps
#27 Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Hey, I'm 23 too

I started my RRSP when I was 22, but I I know a few people in their very late twenties and even some in their thirties who still haven't gotten around to it.

#28 Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a couple more for you veggiewriter:

Go rollerblading.

Learn how to do a backflip on a trampoline.

Go to a square dance (and you must dance).

Go to a rave (and you must dance).

Visit Animal Sanctuary.

Get a subscription to a magazine that you wouldn't normally read, like the economist, or psychology today, or a yoga mag, or adbusters.

Learn to meditate.

Buy an expensive, well tailored suit.

Plant a tree.

Visit Canada.

Swim with dolphins.

Write a list of things to do before you turn 40.

#29 Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 PM

Synergy, love them all.
#30 Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

turn 30 OA style and do some quality mind-altering substances & go dancing at gay clubs till 7am.

... not that I did that. <_<

I suggest going to your local library and reading up on insects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page