Is Anybody Here Deaf? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

This really has nothing whatsoever to do with vegetarianism or food; Im asking out of mere curiosity. My wife is profoundly deaf and has a cochlear implant, and I am deaf on one side of my head (I have normal hearing on the other side). Are there any other deaf people here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not deaf but I know how to communicate in American Sign Language! (Not a handy skill on the internet, I realize! ).

Are you new? If so, welcome! If not, welcome anyway and nice to see you

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 07-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not deaf but I have moderate hearing loss. I have to wear hearing aids in many situations.
#4 Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

You mean you have unilateral hearing, right? It's the same with me, I can't hear out of my left ear, but otherwise my hearing is "normal".
#5 Old 07-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

You mean you have unilateral hearing, right?

Exactly. Im profoundly deaf on the right side of my head with zero residual hearing, and I have normal hearing on the left side. As you pointed out, this is referred to as unilateral hearing, although the term usually preferred by audiologists is single-sided deafness.
#6 Old 07-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Are you new? If so, welcome! If not, welcome anyway and nice to see you

Im sort of new. I made one post here several months ago, and then never made another one. But now my interest in vegetarianism is growing at an exponential rate, and I decided to seek out a sympathetic community. At first I went to a vegan forum, but they booted my ass because I wasnt vegan yet. Then I remembered this place. Its a little less stuffy here; I think Ill stay.
#7 Old 07-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Exactly. Im profoundly deaf on the right side of my head with zero residual hearing, and I have normal hearing on the left side. As you pointed out, this is referred to as unilateral hearing, although the term usually preferred by audiologists is single-sided deafness.

If you don't mind my asking, was it like that from birth, with you? It was with me, though no one noticed until I was 5.

I hope being vegetarian works out for you.
#8 Old 07-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

NoI was born with bilateral hearing. I had meningitis when I was 5. Were not sure about my wife. Her mother claims that she was deafened at the age of three by a pyretic infection. My wife feels intuitively that she was born deaf. Since my mother-in-law is a psychotic nutcase, I tend to favor my wifes explanation.

I cant wait to get back into veganism. The only problem right now is talking my wife into it. It took me over a year to convince her to stop eating mammals meat. But shes starting to see the light. Since I do all the cooking, sometimes Ill slip her a vegan meal and wait for her reaction. When she says something like oohthat was good, I say something like oh really? There was nothing from an animal in there!
#9 Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

i suffered major hearing loss when i was 3, due to being sick and also the result of a doctor's misdiagnosis. i've been wearing hearing aids ever since. after my brain surgery 3 years ago, i lost the remainder of my hearing in my left ear.

i took some ASL classes in 5th grade. I know some basics, but I'd like to be fluent in it.
#10 Old 07-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I am not deaf, but I am studying to be a speech language pathologist at the Communication Disorders and Deaf Studies department at Fresno State. I have taken a lot of the same classes as the people who are studying Deaf education. I will be getting my BA this fall and starting grad school in the Spring. I am planning on working with people of all ages who have had traumatic brain injury, stroke, or any other condition that makes them lose the ability to communicate as they did before. I will be helping them to regain their communication skills, verbally or through another means such as ASL or some type of augmentative communication device. I have only been able to fit in one ASL class right now as I am taking 16 units a semester, but I plan to study after getting my MA to become as fluent as I can.
#11 Old 07-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp2b View Post

I am not deaf, but I am studying to be a speech language pathologist at the Communication Disorders and Deaf Studies department at Fresno State.

Fresno ROCKS! (Just kiddingI only said that because Im Armenian). Have you ever tried Armenian food while living in Fresno? Im right now in the process of taking classic Armenian recipes and creating vegan versions of them. Im going to try sarma (stuffed grape leaves) first. Instead of lamb, Im going to substitute crumbled falafel. If you like Armenian food, keep your eyes on the recipe sub-forum. Ill be posting notes on my progress.
#12 Old 07-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not deaf, nor do I know ASL, but I'd just like to welcome you to the boards!
#13 Old 07-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Fresno ROCKS! (Just kiddingI only said that because Im Armenian). Have you ever tried Armenian food while living in Fresno? Im right now in the process of taking classic Armenian recipes and creating vegan versions of them. Im going to try sarma (stuffed grape leaves) first. Instead of lamb, Im going to substitute crumbled falafel. If you like Armenian food, keep your eyes on the recipe sub-forum. Ill be posting notes on my progress.

Actually, I am not crazy abou the area but this is where my husband is stationed so this is where we live. I don't think I have ever had Armenian food. What are some examples. I have had dolma (Greek stuffed grape leaves). They are really good. I tried to make them once, but they all just fell apart.
#14 Old 07-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ooh, I'm Armenian - well, half, anyway (but American born). I'm assuming Fresno has a large Armenian population?

I think my parents used to make grape leaves with beef (and lots of onions), but I'm not sure. But we did eat shish (lamb) kabobs. Can't say I really miss those. Although it's been sooo long since I've eaten meat, I don't miss any of it at all.

Have you ever had katah (sp)? It's a flaky bread with several layers, each layer slathered with butter before it is baked. I've never made it, but my parents used to make it when I was little, but it's very time consuming and they haven't made it in several years.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your Armenian recipes in the Recipe Forum!
#15 Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp2b View Post

I don't think I have ever had Armenian food. What are some examples. I have had dolma (Greek stuffed grape leaves).

Armenian food is wonderful, but much like the Greeks, Armenians like to eat lamb for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Some examples are lahmajune (flatbread spread with spiced raw lamb), sarma (virtually identical to Greek dolma), kufta, basturma (lamb jerky), etc. Theres not a lot for a vegetarian to choose from in an Armenian restaurant, so thats why Im going to try to revamp the classic centuries-old recipes to make them vegan. One exception which already is vegan is Imam Bayildi, a stuffed eggplant dish which is astonishingly tasty considering that its so incredibly simpleit only has 8 ingredients. I just posted the recipe less than an hour ago.
#16 Old 07-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Ooh, I'm Armenian - well, half, anyway (but American born). I'm assuming Fresno has a large Armenian population?

I've never made it, but my parents used to make it when I was little, but it's very time consuming and they haven't made it in several years.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your Armenian recipes in the Recipe Forum!

Fresno has a HUGE Armenian populationthe only place in the world that has a greater concentration of Armenians is Armenia. During the early part of the twentieth century, Armenians were treated as second-class citizens in that part of California, and were commonly referred to as Fresno ******s.

Armenian food is incredibly complicated. Even Armenian women complain about how difficult it is to make.

I posted a Turkish recipe for stuffed eggplantcheck it out.
#17 Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I had no idea that Fresno had such a large Armenian population. I know my dad has cousins in California. I'll have to ask him where they're located. My dad is a quiet man, so I don't know a lot about my ancestory.

I just checked out your recipe. It does look very simple and delicious. I'll try it and post a review. Thanks!
#18 Old 07-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My dad is a quiet man, so I don't know a lot about my ancestory.

Most Armenian men are.

Im actually quite surprised that you dont live in California. Its hard to find a Hyestani outside of the Golden State. Im sure your father would tell you about your family history if you simply asked.
#19 Old 07-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not deaf, but I am fluent in ASL....
#20 Old 07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could say the same thing. My skills are very rusty now. But my wife and I are considering adopting a deaf child, so I guess I better get crackin on those books...
#21 Old 07-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Most Armenian men are.

Im actually quite surprised that you dont live in California. Its hard to find a Hyestani outside of the Golden State. Im sure your father would tell you about your family history if you simply asked.

Actually, over the past few years he has opened up a quite a bit. And I do ask questions. I'm very interested in my family history.
#22 Old 07-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually, over the past few years he has opened up a quite a bit. And I do ask questions. I'm very interested in my family history.

I see from your profile that youre in Michigan. Detroit has a sizeable Armenian community. My paternal grandfather was a pastor of this church, and he also worked for a year as an interim minister in Detroit in 1945-1946. The Armenian community in the United States was still small then; its very probable that our grandparents paths have crossed at one time or another.
#23 Old 07-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

Nope, not deaf; but i'm a coda and an interpreter.

And a quick vent..it annoys the absolute hell out of me when someone finds out sign is my first language and they say "Oh you can sign? So can i!" then they start doing the alphabet; especially..very........very.......slowly. That's like me saying "Oh, you speak spanish? Me too" just because I remember about 10 words from 8th grade Spanish class. Give me a break. Or when people say "I know asl" like asl is the only sign language. /rant
#24 Old 07-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw jess View Post

And a quick vent..it annoys the absolute hell out of me when someone finds out sign is my first language and they say "Oh you can sign? So can i!" then they start doing the alphabet; especially..very........very.......slowly.

Even the chimp in my avatar knows more ASL that that!
#25 Old 07-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I see from your profile that youre in Michigan. Detroit has a sizeable Armenian community. My paternal grandfather was a pastor of this church, and he also worked for a year as an interim minister in Detroit in 1945-1946. The Armenian community in the United States was still small then; its very probable that our grandparents paths have crossed at one time or another.

Yes, I'm from metro Detroit. St. John's Armenian Church in Southfield is beautiful, although the only time I've been inside was for my grandma's funeral.

And now I feel like I've hijacked your thread.
#26 Old 07-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And now I feel like I've hijacked your thread.

Oh, who caresthis damn thread has been careening around all over the place ever since I started it!
#27 Old 07-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

LOL, good to know. I never mind when a thread goes OT.
#28 Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

does anyone know of any good basic books to learn some ASL? (I don't speak any other languages so the American one is the way to go for me).

I am just hearing impaired but I definaltey know the frustrations of not being able to hear things. Ever since my hearing got worse I have been interested in learning some basic ASL. (who knows - I could lose the rest of my hearing some day and really need it).

I don't have anyone to practice with so it would just be for my information.

thanks

queen
#29 Old 07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I've lost touch with him, but since I'm a teacher and sometimes encounter deaf kids (not in my class), I wanted to learn it. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

does anyone know of any good basic books to learn some ASL? (I don't speak any other languages so the American one is the way to go for me).

You can learn it from books and videos, but without someone to practice with, you will probably lose interest rapidly. Thats what happened to me. Your best bet is community college courses. Read this for text recommendations. Humphries book is used in almost every community college course in the United States.
#30 Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

thanks

queen

lol. I didn't mean other "foreign" languages (i.e. bsl) I'm talking about asl is a form of sign language. Everyone thinks that sign language is "asl." Well, i mean it IS sign language but people think they're synonyms. Asl has it's own syntax, etc.. Learn about SEE, Pidgin, CASE, etc. I'm saying a very small percentage of people are actually fluent in ASL; but everyone who learns one little sign says they "know asl." ASL is a FORM Of sign language. Anyhoo..not the point. Sorry about that. It was just a rant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page