Do you follow any specific 'code' of ethics? (religious or otherwise) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you follow any 'code' of ethics? If so, is it guided by a Spiritual or religious belief? For example, do you do your best to be honest and open with people? If so, is it due to your Quaker, Christian, Pagan, Buddhist or other beleifs? Do you feel like you are falling short of your 'code' when you are less than kind to others?

What are your basic 'rules' for living as a decent human being?

Here are some other examples of what many embrace as an ethical 'code':

Do onto others as you'd like them to do to you (respect others etc.).

Tell the truth.

Be forgiving.

Be loving towards those who bother/irritate you the most.

(and so on)

So, what are your 'Golden Rules'?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2006, 01:39 AM

Respect others insofar as they respect others (including yourself, animals, and things).

Sort of the opposite of the "do unto others as you'd like them to do to you" saying.
#3 Old 06-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

^^That one works for me too. I do my best to be consistent with it too. I have never 'flipped' someone off, for instance, even though drivers seem to like to do that to me from time to time I am always baffled at the amount of hatred others so quickly show to strangers! This kind of thing comes out when driving a lot, it seems

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#4 Old 06-24-2006, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Ha, I've so got road rage. I'm one of those you see flipping people off and yelling at them. If people are rude to me say at a supermarket and pull their cart in front of mine w/out saying excuse me or sorry, I'll make some sort of comment (such as "excuse you" in a way that lets them know I thought what they did was rude). If others are gonna be jerks to me, I'm not gonna pretend like they're not. I'm actually a very nice, understanding, polite and honest person. I'm not religious, I just believe in being as decent as I can. But again, if someone's rude to me, I'm gonna let them know it. The whole "do unto others" thing. In certain situations I hold back and keep quiet. To me, everything is circumstantial, and I don't feel as if I fall short of my 'code' when I curse out drivers or make a comment to someone who was rude to me. I can take what I dish, if I'm for no reason rude to someone, I'd hope they'd let me know. People that I do know and won't just see for 10 seconds of my life, if I have a problem w/them I talk to them about it maturely. I'm never mean to people for no reason.
#5 Old 06-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

"Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill: An it harm none, do what you will"

I try to follow this as well as I can. Sometimes it's easy to get lost to road rage, though! Basically, I believe that the energy I put out will eventually come back to me, so I try to treat others how I would like to be treated myself.
#6 Old 06-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what 'code of ethics' means here. I have some principles but not all of them have any kind of explicit formulation in my mind. None of them have a spiritual basis. And they're not general, like "do unto others.." but more specific. And a lot of them I only recognize as valid principles but don't follow them in my daily life. The only principles that spring to mind that I sometimes manage to follow are "don't let anyone be left out of a group" and "don't mock people by their physical traits".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 06-24-2006, 10:18 AM

My "code" is basically three principles:

Love

Forgiveness

Respect
#8 Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I don't know what 'code of ethics' means here. I have some principles but not all of them have any kind of explicit formulation in my mind. None of them have a spiritual basis. And they're not general, like "do unto others.." but more specific. And a lot of them I only recognize as valid principles but don't follow them in my daily life. The only principles that spring to mind that I sometimes manage to follow are "don't let anyone be left out of a group" and "don't mock people by their physical traits".

What don't you understand? It seems you get the idea, based on your 'principles'.

How did you come to develop those two principles you mention? They both seem to fall under 'do unto others', IMO.

#9 Old 06-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Ankle Biter

No real road rage here - I get annoyed, but try not to let it get to me. After going through driver training with my son, I really became much more generous with other drivers!

I try to follow the golden rule, and always try to consider the other person's feelings unless they are counter to my core beliefs. And I try not to pick fights. But if someone makes a racist/sexist/un-PC remark, or disparages veg*nism, or is not respectful to me personally, I will quickly respond! Many people around here seem to think that if you are white, you are a Christian Republican, and make comments based on that assumption. They are often surprised to run into a liberal, vegan, heathen artist disguised as a middle-aged suburban housewife!

I really do try to be nice. I figure if I'm the only vegan liberal around here, I should set a good example!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 06-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I grew up with certain ethics, being Catholic and pretty much stick to them. I like the do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Being a pretty mild mannered, sensitive individual I like to treat people with kindness and respect. And this does flow over to even the people who aren't so nice to me. Definitely forgiveness, although that one is difficult and takes some effort. I try never to judge. That's a biggie. I don't fight/argue per se. I don't believe you have to yell at someone or be mean to get your point across. If someone needs to be set straight I think it should be done in a non aggressive manner. My life is pretty even-keeled so this works for me. I've never been attacked really, verbally or otherwise so I'm not criticizing anyone who happens to handle things differently! I definitely 'twitch' with some of the goings on around here!! Thankfully I haven't seen much lately. I give those of you credit who can let some of the stuff here roll off your backs! Peace, love, happiness, la la la la la.....
#11 Old 06-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

How did you come to develop those two principles you mention? They both seem to fall under 'do unto others', IMO.

I think I know what it's like to not be treated according to those principles so that probably played a role, and part of it is just some of the little natural empathy I have. I also find it excruciatingly (that's probably not a word) difficult to treat someone bad who has acted very nice towards me so I guess that's another principle that would loosely go under "do unto others". (And then I have the "never trust a man in a blue trench coat/ never drive a car when you're dead" principles, but those I got from a Tom Waits song )

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page