"School" and "reunion" sites.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Banned

Has anyone joined/posted on one of these?

I have, and now many other people I went to school with have posted their details too..... and I tell you, it sure makes me feel like a worthless piece of ****. *L*

Some of them got married to one another, or to someone from elsewhere.... some have had kids.... they run their own businesses.... they have jobs they enjoy..... they live in nice houses in nice suburbs.

Compared to these people I endured at school etc., I'm a wasteful load of crap. *L* Damn the green eyed monster!

Actually, it's only now, a decade later than it SHOULD have happened, that I am realising what I am good at and what I want to do. Better late than never? Definitely.... at least as far as I am concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2003, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

yep, i signed up at gradfinder.com a couple of years ago.

they actually had our 10 year reunion that same year (2001), but i had just given birth to my daughter and didn't go because i was exhausted and breastfeeding round-the-clock.

i look at their profiles and most went on to do the "right" things after highschool: college or university, 'good' jobs in different industries; hell, some of them have their masters and doctorates now!

so when i look at how i spent my 10 years since leaving highschool (dropped out of art school, worked **** jobs, got pregnant and married, decided to stay at home with my kids at least until they are school aged) it does make me feel sort of inadequate.

but then i remember that my worth as a human, and my overall happiness with my life, isn't measured by my financial accomplishments (because really, that's what all that schooling and all those 'good' jobs amount to); rather it is measured by other things that are, in essence, immeasurable.

what i'd really like to do is throw out the yardstick that human beings use to measure themselves against one another, entirely.
#3 Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Having been homeschooled until college, I can have a high school reunion any time I want to by simply saying, "Hey self, wanna have a reunion? Sure, why not?"

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#4 Old 02-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Only the 'successful' ones post on those reunion sites often, and then half of it is lies. Read 'I'm really wealthy but I hate my spouse/life/self' between the lines.

No one ever posts and says 'I've been divorced four times and I'm five stone overweight and I was sacked from my last job'.

That's what I've found anyway...
#5 Old 02-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Spud,

You have a point. Why would anyone want to broadcast their shortcomings to their classmates?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 02-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Skylark, thats really interesting that you were home-schooled. I'm curious why you chose to do this, & looking back are you glad you did this?
#7 Old 02-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

SD,

Yes, I am very glad that I was homeschooled, but I think this deserves another thread devoted to it.

#8 Old 02-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Skylark, I'm glad it was a good experience for you. I've heard about others for whom it ended up being a negative experience, so its good to hear that it can be quite positive!
#9 Old 02-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll create a thread cause homeschooling interests me too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page