backyard wildlife - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Banned

or maybe front yard wildlife!

so yesterday morning i open the front door to let the dog out (i'm housesitting for my boss) and notice something about twenty feet from the front door. they have a gravel circle driveway in the front, with a circle of grass in the middle.

i leave the dog inside and go out and it's a fawn - a TINY little fawn, who i'm sure had just been born that night - curled up right in the middle of this patch of grass.

the mom was not in sight and i went up, thinking she might have been hurt or something. nope. but i got some pictures. she was maybe two feet long at the most. i hate the word precious - but this little guy was just that. freaking precious. so innocent. so perfect.

i saw the mom a few minutes later and then had to go to work...i don't think the fawn had walked before and when she got up she was all goofy and gangly trying to walk - so cute!

i go back in the afternoon and the little guy is still there. i watch for a while and at about dusk the mom comes and i get to watch the fawn nursing.

then i think they moved to a different spot...

but how awesome is that? i'm so grateful i get to see stuff like this.

about ten days ago i saw a snapping turtle lay 11 eggs out in our backyard.

in california last week i got to see rainbow trout spawning (so cool!) and a bald eagle catch a fish...and tons of other cool wildlife stuff, but now i gotta go to work

just wanted to share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Care to share those pictures?

That's so amazing!
#3 Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

wow.... that sounds so amazing! all we got here (semi rural housing estate in ontario) is loads of frikkin squirrels. everywhere you go here these black squirrels are just wandering around the roads and houses, in and out of the trees and peoples lawns and flowerbeds, strolling nonchalontly across the street, etc.

i find it very bizzare because we don't have black squirrels at all in the uk (where i'm from), or very many squirrels generally. we used to have some red ones but the grey ones overran them so you hardly ever see them- so yeah, i find seeing all these black squirrels a quite surreal and novel experience.

i guess that is the sum of my experience with canadian wildlife so far.

apparently there is a skunk in the area too but i'm very hopeful of avoiding meeting that creature (i've heard about those skunks and it just doesnt sound like a good idea to meet one, lol!) and i've been told that there are also bears and wolves in canada.... greeeaaaatttt.

oooh, oooh, i've met lots of hedgehogs back home in england- but sadly if you see them in the day its cos they're sick, and the only time you see them much at night is when they wake you up by being very noisy snuffling and snorting rooting about outside your bedroom window.
#4 Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that sounds awesome! I used to get deer in my yard all the time because we have two apple trees. But the last year or so they have been few and far between. We have a lot of construction going on and it makes me sad that a lot of the wildlife that used be around no longer is. I do have a few rabbits that I see every morning and evening. My cats don't even bother them. You can see my cats, sitting on the deck and the rabbits, not far off in the grass, munching away.
#5 Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

At this house, I just have rabbits, squirrels and birds.

At my last house, I had all sorts of critters, including the cutest little baby groundhogs (born under my porch), and a lot of deer. I also came home from work one day to find a pheasant in front of my front door. Along with the cute critters, though, came a bazillion lady beetles when they'd harvest the soybeans.
#6 Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

that's wicked cool
#7 Old 06-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Funkified, that is so awesome!

We have lots of possums around here. One keeps getting into our chimney and making a real racket! I keep worrying he will get stuck, but he seems to be able to get out again. Luckily, we don't use our fireplace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page