Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah: Who Went to Summer Camp? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Who amongst us went to summer camp as a kid?

I did.

And I'm not talking about computer camp, or basketball camp, or math camp, or fat camp, or Chinese camp, or anything like that. I'm talking about plain old fashioned summer camp. That magical place where you went swimming, rode horses, fell out of canoes, slept under the stars in a sleeping bag with your head under a rock, made yards of lanyards, ate bad food, got sick (the girl who sat next to me at dinner one night got sick and threw up in my plate), developed crushes on the counselors, got caught in panty raids or sneaking into the boys/girls tent, sat around the campfire, toasting marshmallows and singing folk songs, played Spin the Bottle (I did ), and breathed fresh, clean mountain air. For two weeks every August, between 1971 and 1974, I went to a Jewish camp in the San Bernadino mountains. We did almost everything described above, including being forced to eat bad food. I think the hamburgers were McDonald's rejects. One girl in my tent was so disgusted after a while that she nailed her hamburger to the wall next to our table. Since it was a Jewish camp, the food was kosher (but not necessarily Good), the counselors kept stressing Unity to us - we were a Family (well, we're still working on that!) and after all these decades, I still know cold the Hamotzee grace we had to sing before each meal, including the "alternate lyrics":

Hamotzee lechem min haaretz

We give thanks to God for bread

Our voices join in happy chorus

As our prayer is humbly said.

Baruch atah adonai

Eleheynu melech ha-alom

Hamotzee lechem with cooked carrots

Amen.

I still have the camp songbook.

I was lucky that my brother and sister went to camp before me, so I was able to use their sleeping bags and footlocker. My brother went to camp in the early 1960's, so he'd remember this:

This was a VERY big hit in 1963.

Quote:
ARTIST: Allan Sherman

TITLE: Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah (A Letter from Camp)

Lyrics and Chords

[Music from Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours" from La Gioconda]

Hello Muddah, hello Faddah

Here I am at camp Grenada

Camp is very entertaining

And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining

/ G - D - / D7 - G - / F#7 - Bm - / D A D7 - /

I went hiking with Joe Spivey

He developed poison ivy

You remember Leonard Skinner

He got ptomaine poisoning last night after dinner

/ " / " / B7 - C - / G D7 G - /

All the counselors hate the waiters

And the lake has alligators

And the head coach wants no sissies

So he reads to us from something called Ulysses

Now I don't want this should scare ya'

But my bunkmate has malaria

You remember Jeffery Hardy

They're about to organize a searching party

Take me home, oh Muddah, Faddah

Take me home, I hate Grenada

Don't leave me out in the forest where

I might get eaten by a bear

/ Gm - Cm - / / Gm - Bb - / Eb - D7 - /

Take me home, I promise I will

Not make noise, or mess the house with

Other boys, oh please don't make me stay

I've been here one whole day

Dearest Fadduh, Darling Muddah

How's my precious little bruddah

Let me come home if you miss me

I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me

Wait a minute, it's stopped hailing

Guys are swimming, guys are sailing

Playing baseball, gee that's bettah

Muddah, Faddah kindly disregard this letter

Those of us who are fans of The Simpsons will likely remember the episode "Kamp Krusty" in which Bart and Lisa are sent off with excitement to a summer camp suppoedly run by Krusty the Clown - only to discover the camp is nothing more than an excuse for slave labor. Lisa writes a letter home (I wrote a lot of letters home, and was pleased when I got letters in return from my mom, and my sister, and even my brother).

"Dear Mom and Dad, I no longer fear Hell, because I've been to Kamp Krusty. Our nature hikes have become grim death marches. Our Arts and Crafts Center is, in actuality, a Dickensian workhouse. Bart makes it through the days relying on his unwavering belief that Krusty the Clown will come through. But I am far more pessimistic. I am not sure if letter will reach you as our lines of communication have been cut. Now, the effort of writing has made me lightheaded, so I close by saying, SAVE US! SAVE US NOW!"

And when Marge reads the letter, she tells Homer "They complain now, but when we go to pick them up, they won't want to come home!"

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a 4-H camp in Sharon, Vermont when I was a kid. We had an "Indian Campfire" at the end of each session. It had a lake that was freezing cold even in July, plenty of mosquitoes and lots of bad food. I never appreciated it when I was a kid. It was a fun camp. They even had a "Downer Olympics" every year.
#3 Old 06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Never went to summer camp. No one I knew did. It just wasn't a part of growing up in rural Oklahoma. The idea of it kind of had a near-fictional, rich kids on the East Coast, kind of feeling about it. It wasn't real. No one really did that. It's weird now to talk to people who really went to camp.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#4 Old 06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to many summer camps, none were overnight camps. I wanted to go to overnight camp SO BAD but I wet the bed until age 13.....
#5 Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

We did have Vacation Bible School every summer. And I did go to church camp once - can't say it was a lot of fun...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

As an elementary school aged kid, I went to this awesome little nature day camp that was a week long. From 4th-6th grade, we had a campout on the last day of camp, and stayed overnight. We went on a nature walk around midnight, and I loved it.

I'm applying there next year to be a counselor, because I love the camp so much.

Otherwise, I've been to orchestra camp twice, and will be going to debate camp this summer.

#7 Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM

My parents loved to send me to camp every year at the Lake of the Ozarks. I think it was only a week and got in lots of trouble.

I still have my silly awards for the best softball pitcher and I won the longest hulla hoop contest.

I remember that the boys and girls could not swim together. We did some of those things that you described, Amy.
#8 Old 06-07-2006, 09:40 PM

Girl Scout camp, and of course...

church camp

<<shakes head

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 06-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

no camp for me, i've been promised but never actually went. i sometimes wish i have gone though
#10 Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Summer Camp is one of those mythical, American things that I've read about in teen novels and seen in movies. They don't really have it over here. I have been on camps for school, Brownies (Girl Guides), Scouts and various bands, though.

Do kids in the US really go to camp for the whole summer? Or is it just a week or two. A whole summer seems very long for a kid to be away.

Amy, we had a record of silly songs with that one on it! My mum set her phone to play that tune when any of her kids called her.
#11 Old 06-08-2006, 05:16 AM
Banned

Sorry WonderRandy, but I don't know anyone who went to camp as a kid either, and I'm from the east coast. Admittedly though, I grew up in a pretty poor area. I used to imagine it was rich kids from new york, go figure.
#12 Old 06-08-2006, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Sorry WonderRandy, but I don't know anyone who went to camp as a kid either, and I'm from the east coast. Admittedly though, I grew up in a pretty poor area. I used to imagine it was rich kids from new york, go figure.

I'm on the east coast too and I never went to summer camp. My husband went to the parks and rec camp which was a day camp. When I was looking for a camp for my boys I did happen across a couple residential camps but most seem to be day camps now.

My boys will be attending P&R day camp this year. I wouldn't be comfortable with sending my kids to a residential camp. That's probably just because it would've tortured me as a child though so I just don't do it to my kids. lol

Mary
#13 Old 06-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

they have summer camps in ex USSR, each session lasts a month so you can go for a month or for two, or for the whole summer. There is no sleeping in sleeping bags, and we don't have marshmallows there, but there is everything else and there is also sneeking out of the camp to buy wine at the village nearby, and getting up at night to put toothpaste under someone's nose.
#14 Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlee View Post

Do kids in the US really go to camp for the whole summer? Or is it just a week or two. A whole summer seems very long for a kid to be away.

Depends on the camp and what you want. I've been to camps that lasted all summer and two week camps. Mine were never overnight camps though.
#15 Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Never went to summer camp. No one I knew did. It just wasn't a part of growing up in rural Oklahoma. The idea of it kind of had a near-fictional, rich kids on the East Coast, kind of feeling about it. It wasn't real. No one really did that. It's weird now to talk to people who really went to camp.

it was for the rich kids where i grew up...i had a lot of rich friends who went every year and i was so jealous...the summer after my 6th grade year, i went with them (saved all my babysitting $$ and paid for it myself)...and guess what--it was hell!! probably mostly bacuse i just knew i didn't fit in, but also because it made me realize that i'm just not an outdoorsy/nature type (i like concrete!)...anyway, nothing but bad memories from camp for me...

i don't think there were "day camps" around where i grew up, although i know there are now...
#16 Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a school camp between 5th and 6th grade and then from age 12-17 every year I went to church camp. The church camp was just all girls, though, so there wasn't a lot of sneaking around and there were a lot of our church leaders there as supervisors, so we couldn't get away with a whole lot. I wasn't really into much mischief at the time though, so I still had fun.

Both types of camps were a week long and we stayed the night in pretty non-luxurious cabins. They had ice cold running water and electricity and bunk beds with no matresses--we would set up our sleeping pads (if we had one), our sleeping bags and pillows the best we could on the steel netting that would hold the mattresses up.

One year at church camp had an interesting thing though. We had a huge pine tree fall on our cabin one night. It didn't do any major damage, but it was scary, because it was so loud and it shook the whole cabin.

I've done plenty of the real type of camping, in a tent or just in a sleeping bag under the stars, which I find to be much more to my liking.
#17 Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

We did have Vacation Bible School every summer. And I did go to church camp once - can't say it was a lot of fun...

I am soooooo going to the Entertainment Forum to start the

VBS songs thread.

<<<sings

Father Abraham, had many sons....

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 06-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up in California and mainly went to day camps from time to time. My folks both worked during various times in my life and didn't want me and my sister left alone before I was 13.

I did go to one overnight camp once when I was about 12. I was at the top end of the age scale for the camp and there was no one else there my age, so that was a bummer. It was also during an unseasonably cold and foggy period in the Santa Cruz mountains so we froze the entire time.

My main memory from the overnight camp was being on a hike and having someone step on a yellow jacket nest. I remember running down the hill towards the creek and the sobbing of my fellow campers who had been stung or bitten. I was one of the lucky ones to get away with only scratches from the run through the bushes towards the creek.

I do have fond memories of day camp and playing "Red Rover, Red Rover".
#19 Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to camp for two years, one was a horse riding camp, and one was just a general activities camp. They were pretty fun but I don't feel like it was the best part of my childhood or anything.
#20 Old 06-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting responses.

I lived on the West Coast in a pretty rural and rather backwoods little town and there were quite a few of us, rich, poor and otherwise, who went to camp every summer from the time I was 8 years old.

We worked our BUTTS off to earn the money all winter and had an absolute BLAST when we were there.

I think it was just 1 week the first summer then two weeks, later I stayed a month, but I think my parents helped pay for that... I had 5 younger siblings at home... and even though we had our own ponies, and creek to play in and woods to run in, and all that - the chance to get away for part of the summer and hang out with kids my own age was HEAVEN!

When I was 16 I went to work at a church camp and came back every summer for 6 years. I loved the experience and some of the kids I worked with are still close friends even now.

My kids now go to that same camp every summer for two or three weeks. They pay for most of their own way as well - working THEIR butts off doing every imaginable chore for the neighbors... it's good for them!!

One good thing about the camp is it's run by the Seventh-Day Adventist denomination, so they have vegetarian and vegan meals.
#21 Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM

I'm 13 and have been going to a camp for the last 3 years CAMP *******

its my home away from home It has campers and staff from all over the world ( England,South Africa and Japan just to name a few ) it is split up into 4 differnt sessions two for guys and two for girls ( the sessions were in a row so you could stay for both without going home but you get to see your parents before the second session starts) each session is two weeks

it is a little expensive but worth every penny! each camper stays in a cabin with about 10 girls ( some have more or less ) and about 2 counslers some cabins have porches but most do not and they all have bunk beds every day there is cabin inspection ( its not a big deal though ) i love it when it rains it sounds so great on the roof it has great food ( and vegetarian option for people like me) but what i love the most about the meals is when we clear we sing camp songs it is so AWESOME! and the activities are so cool

theres the traditonal stuff like swim lessons and conoeing but ther is also stuff like rock climbing sailing ( on sail boats ) dancing cultural stuff

candle making ,like all sports and so on ther is 3 classes each Day u get to pick ( i did swim lessons beccaus if you are at a certain swim level u have to candle making and tennis ) but u also have free time to hang out with your friends every night there is camp activity that we do with the whole camp in the past i have done Prom night , wild west nigh , new years and so on and

once a sesssion they have movie nigt where we watch a movie on the gia nt projector and sunday is breakfast in bed day ( we go to bed at nine and wake up at seven except on sunday we wake up at 8 sorry this is so long but this is the best camp ever there is still great things about Camp ******* that i did not write about it is for kids 8 - 16 for regular camp and

for 18 year olds ther is LIT ( leaders in training) and leader core ( its like taraing for being a LIT) for 17 year olds there is also mini camp ( its for Younger kids its 5 days) 1 week camp for kids not ready for 2 week camp and family camp for Well Familys i would recomend this camp to anybody its the best camp I have ever been to and has the best staff they care about every single person there sorry its so lengthy but thanx for reading it

- Tory
#22 Old 06-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if there is a concept of "summer camps" in my country. A lot of people did go to camps but I think they were boy scout camps or something. I don't really know what they did on those camps, maybe they all got abducted and were replaced by replicas designed to destroy planet Earth.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 06-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

tobo: Your post is a little hard to follow (you should have broken it up into more paragraphs), but it's hard to argue with your enthusiasm! No need to ask you if you have fun, it's really obvious! I'm glad you love your camping experiences.

*this space not for sale*
#24 Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I am soooooo going to the Entertainment Forum to start the

VBS songs thread.

<<<sings

Father Abraham, had many sons....

Hehe, I could play that one well. The VBS will always be branded in my head.

Remember this one?....

I may never march in the infantry, Ride in the cavalry, Shoot the artillery.

I may never fly o'er the enemy, But I'm in the Lord's army. (yes, sir!)

I'm in the Lord's army, (yes, sir!) I'm in the Lord's army, (yes, sir!)
#25 Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to day camp every summer for pretty much the whole summer from preschool up through 8th grade when I started working at a camp. I would like to say that I have had the ultimate summer camp experience for the following reasons:

-I was locked in a latrine (more than once)

-I locked others in a latrine

-I slept in an open field and woke up with a sleeping bag full of lady bugs and ants

-I got poison ivy all over my entire body (including my hands)

-I got lost in the woods

-I hiked a mile in a crazy summer thunderstorm

-I swam in a pool with more centipedes than people

-I find lanyard in my clothes, bags, room, etc. all year round.

-I got stepped on by a horse

-I ran someone's underwear up the flagpole

-I blazed my own trail, accompanied by 15 whining ten year olds

-I don't need a camp song book - I am the camp song book.

Yeesh, I sound like a bad movie.

I've been to a few overnight camps, none for more than a week at a time, though. I have plenty of friends who used to go away all summer to sleepaway camps. It was kind of like a break for their parents.

Camp starts in a little over two weeks
#26 Old 06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Have we actually started a thread in the entertainment forum aobut VBS/camp songs? I couldn't find it. Here is one we wrote one summer about VBS. it was one of those things my husband and I did to pass the time on a car trip in June where we passed 592 VBS signs on a 4 hour drive. It was during that time that Southern Baptists were urged to boycott Disney because Disney World had supported homosexuality.

(To the tune of Be Our Guest from beauty and the Beast)

VBS, VBS

Our church building is the best.

Take a heart that's full of wonder and let Jesus do the rest.

Come along, don't be shy,

Our new paster is a guy

(cuz that's the only sex that we'll allow)

So come along with me,

Boycott Walt Disney.

Be our guest, be our guest at VBS!

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#27 Old 06-09-2006, 06:45 PM

I went to a camp called Camp Vacamas only once when I was 11 or 12. I forget where it was....NJ or PA I think.. It was dreadful and I hated it from beginning to end. Three weeks felt like an eternity. Luckily I was there with my best friend at the time who made it somewhat bearable.
#28 Old 06-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

My friends and I once compiled a book of lyrics called "Way Cool Campfire Songs". couldn't tell you what ever happened to it... I've done a lot of drugs since then...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#29 Old 06-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

As a kid I attended sleep-away Bible camp once and band camp seveal times. The past 5 years, I've taken a bunch of kids to a fantastic family camp on Catalina island. Great experiences all around!
#30 Old 06-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Never did the traditional summer camp thing (although I had rich friends who did), but I did lots and lots of music camps like the Royal School of Church Music training courses, a six-week governor's honors voice program, a choir camp at our local uni, etc. I am such a musicians' kid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page