Career help: candle making. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I could use some help in an unusual career move, selling candles. I realize theres' no career/job board here so....

I finally got to the suppliers and picked up some wax, wicks and scent. Huzzah! I have a job again being self employed.

I have made candles in the past which is why I decided to make this my new job. One unepected detail is one of the tubs of wax says it cannot be used in molds (soy wax). So I will only be able to use the tub of creamy wax.

Because I have no home internet access until my credit card arrives, I will be selling with the farmers market only. I hope the lack of advertising doesn't doom my efforts. I'm aiming to make twelve medium sized candles and hopefully half of it will be profits and the other helf cost of supplies.

However the unexpected detail with the soy wax makes me realize I need more advice with my new career. I thought I knew how to make candles but then this came up. Any candle sellers on this board?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 PM

Hello, most soy wax is to soft to use in Molds (pillars, votives, etc.) You can add additives like vybar to make it harder but IMO Soy works best in containers. You get the best burn time and scent throw.

Do you know what type soy wax it is? Is it flake or solid? You could always make some nice jar candles. I use recycled glass containers ( jars, rocks glasses, canning jars, etc) I find some of mine at thrift stores for 25 cents ea.

Just a idea....
#3 Old 06-03-2006, 12:02 AM

I like soy candles better. They seem like they hold the scent more. I don't make them though, just buy them.
#4 Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

i hope it's ok if i use your thread to ask everyone who sells or buys candles a question:

how would you feel about soy candles in pretty handmade ceramic containers ? would you use the candle and then reuse the container as a chandle-holder once the candle runs out ? or would you just put it somehwere and keep it there as a decoration ?

And for you, Eclipse, i found a website that sells this hardening stuff.

http://www.justbynature.com/additives.html

it's pretty cheap too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page