Interesting Philosophy Lesson - short story - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

A professor stood before his Philosophy class and had some items in front of him.

When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

"The golf balls are the important things - your God,family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would

still be full. "The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.

"The sand is everything else--the small stuff. "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. "The same goes for life. "If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

"Play with your children.

"Take care of your health.

"Take your partner out to dinner.

"There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

"Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the juice represented. The professor smiled.

"I'm glad you asked.

"It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,there's always room for a glass of juice with a friend."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah. I've used this many a time as a demostration, except with rocks/pebbles/sand/water. Catchphrase = "put the big rocks in first".

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 05-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

That's cute, I like it. It's definitly true
#4 Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I would have liked it more if it was some other context than a philosophy lesson (since this doesn't have anything to do with philosophy)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 05-20-2006, 12:42 AM

Interestingly enough this is probably the third time i've heard this. The second time i heard it was at a graduation and the guy TOTALLY messed it up. I think he started putting the sand before the pebbles or something. The fact that everyone knew what he was trying to do didn't help him much either. One of those moments where you feel stomach-wrenchingly embarassed for another person. lol

-C
#6 Old 05-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by echt26 View Post

Interestingly enough this is probably the third time i've heard this. The second time i heard it was at a graduation and the guy TOTALLY messed it up. I think he started putting the sand before the pebbles or something. The fact that everyone knew what he was trying to do didn't help him much either. One of those moments where you feel stomach-wrenchingly embarassed for another person. lol

-C

I hate being embarrassed for other people. It's even worse than being embarrassed for myself. Hehe.
#7 Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I hate being embarrassed for other people. It's even worse than being embarrassed for myself. Hehe.

Ha, yeah. I can handle being embarassed for myself... but for others, so much worse! Especially if it's a friend!
#8 Old 05-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen this a few times and still love it!
#9 Old 05-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

"Take your partner out to dinner.

"There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

"Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the juice represented. The professor smiled.

"I'm glad you asked.

"It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,there's always room for a glass of juice with a friend."

However, if you spend too much time with Gin and Juice with friends and don't fix that damn disposal, your golfball might leave you for another jar.
#10 Old 05-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page