Poll: How Hot Is the Water in Your House? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: How Hot is the Hot Water in Your House?
140 degrees F (60 C) or more 0 0%
130 degrees F (54.4 C) 0 0%
120 degrees F (48.9 C) 0 0%
110 degrees F (43.3 C) 0 0%
100 degrees F (37.8 C) 0 0%
Other (Please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

The hot water heater (natural gas) in my house burst, and so had a new one put in. When it was installed, they set it on the lowest heat setting, which heats water to about 100 to 105 degrees F. This is a bit strange, as hot water heaters are "normally" set to 140 degrees F, although a lot of people turn them down to 120 degrees F.

I am wondering what temperature people have their hot water set at, and for those who have it set low, what do you do to cope with this low setting.

For example, running a basin of hot water to shave just does not produce water that is hot enough. I could, though, heat a kettle of water on the stove and add it in. How many of you do something like this? Does it make sense?

My dishwasher has its own water heater, so it will heat water to 140 degrees if the water is not hot enough.

My (clothes) washing machine does not have a heater but does have "AccuWash," which will monitor the temperature and take from the hot water or cold water intake just what it needs to achieve the desired temperature. However, a "hot" wash requires a temperature of at least 120 degrees, which cannot be achieved at the current setting. I suppose I could change the setting an hour before doing the laundry, then set it back after the laundry is done. How many people do something like this? Is it worth it to achieve energy savings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

140 but I keep forgetting to go into the shed and turn it down to 120 which would be a bit better on my bill. Just a reminder for me to go into the shed and fight all the spiders and spider crickets which have claimed residence there.
#3 Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

The thermonstat for my hot water heater is apparently broken. No matter where it's set, the water comes out scalding hot or hotter. After one too many nasty burns, I now keep the hot water heater turned off unless I'm in the kitchen or bathroom and actually *need* hot water.
#4 Old 05-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure of the water temperature because the temp. gauge has the settings "hot," "medium," "warm" and "vacation." We always keep ours on "warm" and the water is fine. In the summer I can even leave it on "vacation" and it's fine, but then maybe that's because it's over 100 degrees here almost every day all summer.
#5 Old 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

In terms of measuring the water temperature, one thing my sister told me about years ago is that they make thermometers for Mom's to use when bathing infants. I bought one at Target for $3 or $4. It is shaped like a fish with the thermometer as the backbone.

On either side of the thermometer are the temperature measurements in F and C respectively. A very useful tool, IMHO, even if you don't have an infant. It only goes up to about 120 degrees, though. (I guess you could use one of those instant cooking thermometers, too.)

There is some concern that unless you wash some clothes in hot (> 120 degree) water, germs or other organisms on the clothing will not be killed. For example, dust mites on bedclothes. Yet most of the items I own require a warm or cold wash. I guess it is for this reason that the "How Clean Is Your House" ladies recommend putting your sheets in the freezer for at least 24 hours to kill dust mites (since hot water washing is often impractical).
#6 Old 05-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea.
#7 Old 05-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I think ours is at the lowest setting, comfortably hot for a shower from the hot tap. I never need to do a "hot" wash because we don't carry infectious diseases.
#8 Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Ours is 120, which is average when you have small children that are tall enough to operate the faucets on their own. The temperature doesn't really seem low to anyone here and we wash our clothing in cold water anyhow.

Mary
#9 Old 05-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

We don't carry "infectious diseases" but my daughter is allergic to dust mites, so we have our temp set OVER 140. (Interesting, I had never heard the "freezer" treatment for dust mites - I may check into that too though..)

Plus I work with small children all day long and get spit on, sneezed on, barfed on and who knows what else... I'm a little anal about germs anyway, and I really like being able to wash my work clothes in hot water as well...

Besides...I absolutely LOVE long, VERY hot showers (yeah, yeah, no preaching about THAT please!). The water tap in the kids' bathroom has a shut off valve if it gets too hot as a safety feature though, just letting all of you know who may jump in freaking out with all sorts of safety tips....
#10 Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

As high as it goes, praise seitan. My last landlord kept turning my water down to just barely warm, which wouldn't even provide for a decent bath. There is a reason there is a "cold" water knob and "hot" water knob. If I want warm water, I will mix the two.
#11 Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know other than "Not hot enough." We also have lame water pressure.

Let me revise that a little... if you let it run in the shower upstairs for a REALLY LONG TIME it gets too hot, then you can't turn it down again. But you have to let it run for a while otherwise you can't shower at all cause its too cold. It's fun living here, really.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Hot is good:

http://channels.netscape.com/homerea...ar&floc=HR-1_T

Blech blech blech.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Hot is good:

Blech blech blech.

Fascinating article.

Quote:
Here's the real shocker: Your clean underwear isn't much better. There is about a 10th of a gram of feces in the average pair of dirty underwear. Thanks to our propensity to use cold water ... our dirty laundry is not being properly sanitized, reports Reuters. That means viruses such as hepatitis A, rotavirus and bacteria such as salmonella--all of which are carried through feces--survive not only the wash, but also an average 28-minute drying cycle.

You can kill all those nasty germs if you wash your clothing in hot water. "Water at 140 degrees Fahrenheit will sanitize laundry," Gerba told Reuters. But only 5 percent of Americans use hot water for laundry."

I heard similar advice from a woman from Columbia University on some TV program about communicable diseases, except she advocated using chlorine bleach in addition to 140 degree wash water.

I dunno. I personally cannot see doing this as a routine matter. I almost never use chlorine bleach. And I have yet to see any "use and care" tags on any of my clothing that say "feel free to wash in hot water."

If there were a real need for it, like in froggy's case, though, I would do it.

I also think adding vinegar to the wash or rinse water might help kill germs.
#14 Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a firm believer in not being too clean. Not that I wallow around in my own filth or anything, but I don't feel the need to sanitize everything and wash my hands fifty times a day. I suppose if I had allergies or other health problems I'd feel differently, but I rarely even get a sniffle, so I'm sticking with my warm water washes.

Interesting aside: My grandmother was a neat freak, probably because she grew up in a cramped, poorly ventilated New York tenement and keeping things clean was paramount. Anyway, my mother and aunt grew up in a sanitized environment. My grandmother pretty much cleaned all the time. Both my mom and aunt are pretty much allergic to everything. Coincidence? Perhaps...
#15 Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Eggplant: I'd have to do some digging, but there is pretty compelling evidence that the "ubersanitization" of America has done exactly what you said..made us super-sensitive. I looked up some stuff for a parent a couple of years ago when the mom/dad were arguing about how much to clean/sterilize everything.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so hot that even if I try to take a cold shower.. the water boils.

Kidding. Really. It sounded like it'd make a funny pickup line, but I didn't want to pick anyone up.. so I decided to pick myself up.
#17 Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ I love random posts!
#18 Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Hot is good:

Blech blech blech.

My grandma boils her underwear, has done it for years. Never puts them in the washer, always washes them seperate and then soaks them in boiling water.
#19 Old 05-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh on topic!

The water in my apartment complex is FREAKING HOT!!!!!!!!!! If you turn the fasut about halfway between the "hot" side and "cold" side is good shower temperature, anything more and you are going to cause burns to your body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page